New to forum

SPARKI

Mar 3, 2012
Kooralbyn Qld
Hi all, as the title suggests.... we are new to the forum and have just ordered our new 17-56-2 outback from Jayco Gold Coast, its going to be a long wait until the end of May.
We have ordered a few extras: External shower, fold down table, 22inch tv, dvd, stereo internal and external speakers, wind up aerial, roof mounted a/c, 150 litre fridge, gas point to rear for our bbq.....thats it so far ...any suggestions on any extras we have missed that could be beneficial would be appreciated...as we are still at the point we can make changes before build.
Have done the tenting, followed by an aussie off road camper trailer and just over a year ago we sold our 2010 Jayco Swan outback....we are so excited to be again out and about camping with friends, Have a 16 y/o daughter and a 12 y/o son who are also very excited about the new purchase.
Our tow vehicle is a 2011 FJ cruiser, not quite sure how it will tow as it is right on the limit with only a 2250kg tow capacity...if not slightly over...I love the vehicle and it would be a shame to trade it so soon...so will just have to wait n see....Previous vehicle was a 2007 BT50 with a few power and tyre upgrades and it pulled the swan no problems.
Has anyone pulled a 17-56-2 up the beach....low tide only of course....just wondering how much it will differ to the swan with the extra weight and dual axle.

Thanks for reading...... :)

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hi SPARKI, welcome to the forum.

We just took delivery of our 17.56-2 today. It is a great van. Our van came in at just under 2599kg, bnut we have the simplicity suspension added, which adds extra weight.

You have a good list of extras, we included two batteries and two solar panels.

Enjoy the forum, plenty of great ideas here.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum Sparki, are you on the Gold Coast? Nice lot of extras listed, have you thought about battery and solar connections?

SPARKI

Mar 3, 2012
Kooralbyn Qld
Hi Mick, I will be adding the batteries myself and will look at solar, I just have to be careful and not overload the FJ Cruiser too much.

Thanks for your input

Cheers Grant

SPARKI

Mar 3, 2012
Kooralbyn Qld
Also thanks to you Chartrock, We live in the Scenic Rim region between out past Beauy...plenty of nice camping areas close to home for some test runs :)
Cheers
Grant

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We live in the Scenic Rim region between out past Beauy...plenty of nice camping areas close to home for some test runs :)
Cheers
Grant

We lived in Canungra for 10 years before moving a bit closer to the coast 7 years back. Definitely a nice part of the world out there.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
G'Day and welcome to the forum Sparkie, I agree with the above, try and get as much done at factory as everything will be included in your tare weight

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Welcome

Good things to look at are extra power points and 12 volt points (both internal and external) so they are all wired in the factory - also if looking at solar get the prewiring done in the factory even if you want to get the panels etc later. Also extra annexe light above shower is a good option. We got 2 gas points rear and front on the outside of the van so we had flexibility. I assume you are getting an awning? Another thing we looked at was a fan in the fridge to help keep it cooler in tropical areas.To be honest in the end one of our biggest challenges was deciding on the colour scheme - we had our minds made up on the 2011 colours and everything changed and we had to make up our minds off a piece of paper - hope our choice was OK in the end - will find out next week!

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Grant,
Welcome to the forum.
As for beach towing with 56.2......ours weigh about 2.5 tonne. Not sure whether it would tow to well on the beach. Might have to modify some things.
Cheers Deano

SPARKI

Mar 3, 2012
Kooralbyn Qld
Hi SPARKI, welcome to the forum.

We just took delivery of our 17.56-2 today. It is a great van. Our van came in at just under 2599kg, bnut we have the simplicity suspension added, which adds extra weight.

You have a good list of extras, we included two batteries and two solar panels.

Enjoy the forum, plenty of great ideas here.

Hey Mick just saw your post with all your extras, awesome mate looks great...would you mind telling me roughly what the van cost you all up with all of those extras added, I have emailed our dealer to ask for the solar, batteries, water tank guages, battery monitor, road side light and simplicity suspension...would be interesting to see what price they come back with.
Cheers
Grant

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com

SPARKI

Mar 3, 2012
Kooralbyn Qld
Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Hi all, just sitting here and dreaming of our new 17.56.2.......we only ordered it 3 weeks ago and already I am going crazy....reminds me of the 16 weeks we had to wait for the Outback Swan......Loved reading all your comments and advise and love reading all the other posts, some real good stuff here. We are heading down to the Gold Coast caravan and camping show this next Saturday at Parklands Show grounds.....Cant wait to drool over all the vans and all the gear.....as our rig wont be completed until end of May, we have time to look at some of the extras before final sign off....so I dare say there will be some more money thrown at it......probably be like going food shopping without first eating...tend to go a little overboard....Oh well at least we will have all we need and the van will last us quite a few years.
Will start fitting my brake controller and anderson plug to the FJ Cruiser in a few weeks and will go through and clean out my shed so the new toy will have a home, then its sifting through all the camping gear to find out what needs replacing.....then off to purchase a new Honda 2kva Geny.....this should help pass the time.

Happy Camping/Caravaning to all

Cheers
Grant

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome to the forum sparki.

Your combo will be a real head turner thats for sure!

If Toyota actually listened to want people want, then they should bring out a diesel FJ. But Toyota is being Toyota, and they think they know best. Sorry about the rant but i would love a diesel FJ:shocked:

SPARKI

Mar 3, 2012
Kooralbyn Qld
Hi moto.... I would have rathered a diesel FJ and in Manual would have been nice, I think Toyota got caught up in nostalgia and forgot practical....They could have easily got away with this design with a 3 litre common rail turbo diesel and manual gearbox...they have the format for god sake...I think they would have sold heaps more...hey why not ute...Dual cab ute :) l I am now torn between supercharging the FJ or just selling it and going straight to a new Bt50...Im sure the fJ will have enough power to pull the new expanda....i cant believe its only rated at 2.25T towing capacity....and adding a supercharger will not fix that....The chassis and power train is almost exactly the same as the new prado....and it has a 3T towing capacity. I love the FJ .....so very comfortable and has all the options and Ive only had it 9 months...really would be a shame to sell it so soon....and yes its different....for the first 6 months, I was one of very few people that had one....still today it gets looks where ever I go......Some people hate it.... some love it....I dont really care.
If I keep it I will post some pics up with the new van en-tow...and thanks for your comments Mate.

Cheers
Grant