Emjam07

Sep 26, 2017
Cairns QLD
Hi everyone,
We sold our Jayco Eagle last month and have put a deposit down on a new 16.49-3 OB. Hopefully picking it up mid October!
There are a couple more things we are yet to purchase, and was hoping I could get some advice.
What caravan cover would you recommend?
What bed end privacy screen or storm cover would you prefer?
Did you get ESC installed?
And also, it doesn't have a grey water tank, so what do you do when you go to caravan park etc?
Thank you all, I look forward to your responses.
Take care,
Emma

Reactions: 1DayIll and bigcol

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
Hi and welcome to the forum. You will probably get several replies to your questions because there is a wealth of knowledge and opinion on here.

I have ordered the storm cover with my van ... jayco version.

No ESC . My van is the 14’ and have towed for 40 years without ESC!

I have a portable waste tank for free/ bush camping, and connect the sullage hose to drains when on caravan parks.

I don’t have a cover because my van lives in the carport.

I see you are in Cairns, great places to go up there. I lived in Cooya Beach until November last year. Keep an eye on Jayco Cairns; I had a couple of bad experiences with them.

Emjam07

Sep 26, 2017
Cairns QLD
Hi and welcome to the forum. You will probably get several replies to your questions because there is a wealth of knowledge and opinion on here.

I have ordered the storm cover with my van ... jayco version.

No ESC . My van is the 14’ and have towed for 40 years without ESC!

I have a portable waste tank for free/ bush camping, and connect the sullage hose to drains when on caravan parks.

I don’t have a cover because my van lives in the carport.

I see you are in Cairns, great places to go up there. I lived in Cooya Beach until November last year. Keep an eye on Jayco Cairns; I had a couple of bad experiences with them.
Thank you for your reply!
In what way do I need to watch Jayco Cairns? For when getting things installed? Thanks for the tip.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @Emjam07
as @Papa Whiskey said, there is a wealth of ongoing knowledge on here

in order of importance..............
YES get the ESC (or Dexter control) anything that helps you tow safely is not a bad idea
get the extended draw bar - helps with reversing, as well as towing
if and when you go off line (free camping) you will need a Grey Water Tank - until then, your sullage hose into the Caravan park drain is good to go
not sure now, but when I brought my 16.49.1- the bed end flys were standard (the Black mesh ones) I brought and fitted the Jayco Storm Covers (first batch made) the way mine are fitted - you have to remove them and fit them everytime, is a hassle, but a good one, helps keep it warm in cooler times, and dark and cool in warmer times
cannot say about the Van cover, as mine also lives under my back patio when not in use
but
a few people have brought the Aldi ones when they come up on special

be aware though
depending on what you will be using to tow with, you may need to upgrade the tow vehicle as well
or atleast do some mods to that

suspension
mirrors
etc

cheers

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi everyone,
We sold our Jayco Eagle last month and have put a deposit down on a new 16.49-3 OB. Hopefully picking it up mid October!
There are a couple more things we are yet to purchase, and was hoping I could get some advice.
What caravan cover would you recommend?
What bed end privacy screen or storm cover would you prefer?
Did you get ESC installed?
And also, it doesn't have a grey water tank, so what do you do when you go to caravan park etc?
Thank you all, I look forward to your responses.
Take care,
Emma
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the exciting new purchase. I mych prefer the Jayco factory storm cover, but like @bigcol mine cant stay on for travel so is a bit of a nuisance. I mostly just use the mesh which is attached all the time.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
Sorry for the delay re Jayco Cairns. I needed them to fix fridge, they had the camper for 5 weeks despite many requests to try and expedite! Then there was a Jayco recall due to possible fault in lifting mechanism. This time it took them 3 weeks. Previously, I had not had any problems with raising the camper, but first time I raised it after the “ fix” the roof collapsed!

Just my opinion, but like a lot of dealers, I think that they are keen to get your money but follow up and maintenance ar not their strong points. I would be looking to see if there is a Jayco authorised repairer somewhere close by and then use them for service and warranty work rather than the dealership.

As I have said, this is just my opinion based on my personal experience so may not be reflective of all buyers.