14' Series New or used expanda?

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Hi - new to this site so not sure if I'm posting this question in the right area! We currently have a 2004 OB Swan. Looking to upgrade to a OB 14.44-4 Expanda. Does anyone know what we should expect to pay for a brand new model (2016) with inclusions/extras like: roof mounted air con, bike rack, cover, antenna? Are we best to pay for a brand new one plus some extras (hoping we can get some thrown in!) or spend mid $30k for a 2013 model that has nearly all the extras we want plus some!!? Thanks

Reactions: Delano

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Welcome @Lucinda , I can't help you with the price on a 14-44-4 .
But someone on here certainly will.
You should check out the jayco websites and see if any dealers have 2015 floor stock .
You might get a good deal and holiday to pick it up.
We got a good deal from Jayco Ballarat, some on here have travelled from WA to Bayswater or Frankston
For a fair bit cheaper than their local suppliers.

Reactions: dagree and Lucinda

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for your responses. I'm worried that I am back to wanting a shiny new one now!!! I spoke to a jayco dealer who was very helpful with what the 2013 would have originally cost and what I should expect to pay and am now waiting for him to get back to me with a price for a new one!!!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
The good thing is that they hold their value.

The bad thing is that it usually makes a new one very attractive.

Only thing about 2nd hand is hopefully the previous owner has had all of the gremlins fixed, but it's always a gamble.

Reactions: Delano and dagree

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
We recently bought (Nov last year) a 2014 model 14.44.4 outback from a friend for 37k. With all the extras he had, including roof air, hot water, outside shower, side table, extra power points, bike rack and extra gas bottle, he paid 45k new. We priced new and were quoted just over 39k RRP for a standard outback, but with "extra essentials" it adds up quick and came in also at 45k with a 5-6 month wait. You may get a good deal on one in stock, if available, but then again the one your looking at (assume it's the one on gumtree now) looks pretty good too, especially if it's as good as it looks in the photos and he's willing to negotiate a little? Good luck.

PS: we downsized from a 17.56 and haven't looked back, 14.44.4 is a great size for family of four and so much easier to tow etc.

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Thanks again everyone. All very good points and things to think about. Yes, @Wayne2410 I think u've spotted the one I'm looking at. I think we will check it out on the weekend (always hard to know photos were taken!) and hopefully tomorrow the jayco dealer will give me a "conversation starting" quote (as he described it) and we'll make some decisions from there! I don't think there are any 2015 floor stock models around now (they either don't make many that aren't made to order and/or they're very popular). I'm very impatient but kind of think if we were to get new, it would be worth waiting to get the choices we want (mainly roof mounted air and I would like to choose fabric, etc). It's good to hear uve been so happy with the 14.44-4 - I think it will be perfect for us

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
We paid $31k recently for a 2012 model that had only been used 2-3 times, basically brand new. Came with very few additional options, ie no hot water, external shower, only 1 water tank, battery or solar etc, but have been slowly modding with what we want and sometimes its better to do some things yourself anyway so you know its done right.
14.44-4 has turned out to be perfect for us, family of 4.
Dont think you could go wrong with that 2nd hand 13 model.

Reactions: Lucinda

PhilW

Jul 12, 2015
Sydney. Northern Beaches.
We paid $34500 for a second hand 2013 14.44/4 O.B. with every conceivable option including a cover.
The van is in "as new" condition.
Purchased it via this great forum.
Could not speak highly enough of this model.
We love it more each time we use it.

Reactions: Lucinda

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
That's great to hear @PhilW . We ended up buying a second hand 2013 OB on the weekend!!! You got a great deal . We paid $35k so still quite happy with that price and also got all the extras we want (except an annex ). Picking it up soon and can't wait to get away in it. Now to sell our 2004 OB Swan...

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Morning all
Now we've got our expanda, can anyone recommend a good annex? We had a kakadu annex on our OB Swan and it was fantastic. Not sure how the annexes attach to the carefree awning but we would like a fully enclosed annex (with skirt that attaches to the van). Any recommendations would be very welcome - thanks

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
That's great to hear @PhilW . We ended up buying a second hand 2013 OB on the weekend!!! You got a great deal . We paid $35k so still quite happy with that price and also got all the extras we want (except an annex ). Picking it up soon and can't wait to get away in it. Now to sell our 2004 OB Swan...

Did you end up buying the one advertised on Gumtree? That was a great looking van!