New Member and New O/B 16.49.1

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi all,

We have a new O/B Expanda 16.49.1 (July 2011) have had it on one trip for a couple of days.

Location (Adelaide)
Tow Vehicle (Pathfinder R51 - auto Diesel)
Options - 150 litre fridge, Air Con, External Shower, extra water tank, wind up antenna, Annex., bed end flies

Issues - Why do the AL-KO jacks come with a 1.3 m handle (when about 300mm would do)
- Annex bag is great for caravan with double bed but not an expanda (had small long bags made so they go through side boot)
- Did not like the tow hight as the tow hitch is very low (50mm block required to raise and may see if they can adjust more) Van tows front up on the Pathfinder and I have a hayman reece with drop hitch.

Cheers
Steve

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Welcome aboard Steve.

I am betting the jack handles are from the camper trailers. Pain in the neck in my humble opinion.
No 1 on my list of annoying little things to fix asap!!

Stew

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Issues - Why do the AL-KO jacks come with a 1.3 m handle (when about 300mm would do)

I agree. If my expanda is in its home shelter I can't use the handle as the wall is too close.

I ratted my old tools for an old spark plug tube spanner. One end fitted the drop down jack head so I found a long (5") bolt that fitted the other end and welded it in and now I have a winder that goes in to my battery drill for quick, no effort, wind up and down. :whoo:

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
- Did not like the tow hight as the tow hitch is very low (50mm block required to raise and may see if they can adjust more) Van tows front up on the Pathfinder and I have a hayman reece with drop hitch.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

This is an area that Jayco really need to address, especially on the outback models. most people who get the outback option will be using a 4wd or SUV of some sort as their tow vehicle yet Jayco have the ball height at around 400mm. Even my Territory factory fitted ball height is 480mm and my Hilux is 490mm. The ADR for towball height is a minimum of 350mm and a max of 460mm measured to the center of the ball so that would mean most 4wd towballs are probably illegal out of the factory. You will find many on this forum who have fitted a hitch lift block to try and level the van.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
We have an OB 16.49-3 on order. My dealer says hitch height will be the max. allowed, i.e. 460mm. This is still way short of height on tow vehicle (Discovery3 with Mitchell Brothers hitch) - I will have to do something also - looking at changing the tongue on the Discovery.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
All thank for the advise and comments.

Salsimo I will try and have the long handle changed at the first service, if not a cut and re-weld will occur.

I have a 50mm block to lift the hitch up, but I need to modify the hand brake handle as the block stops the handle from operating (it goes under the standard plate but hits the block).

I will make these modifications and then take them off for the service and ask if they can lift the hitch under warrenty to 460mm. Then I will have the block for another 50mm lift if required.

As stated in the intro, we have a roof mounted TV with Cafe Lounge. On the test trip we found it difficult to watch TV (not really the camping spirit)

Where do people mount tv's. Currently I use a 17" widescreen laptop as our tv with HD tuner card.

We sat it on the table and laid on the front bed and sat at the table, but this did not seem to work that well.

Any suggestions

Cheers
Steve

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome to the forum! I've haven't checked in over a week and presto, a whole heap of new members, great stuff!

Can't help with the TV thing, my kids watch enough of that at home.

But i use a cheapo ratchet from bunnings instead of the long winder for the stabilising legs. Quick, easy and takes up no space. Also useful to have in the tool kit anyway.