New Expanda options

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi All

We are now looking at a new 16:49-3 in outback. I am looking at optioning it up with some of the following, and appreciate any comments or thoughts, as some are “dead certs” and others I am not as sure about. I have a budget in mind and am not so sure I will get all this into it.

B2200 Dometic Roof Mounted A/C, How are these draining? Primarily getting it for extra space it offers, Microwave up high, better airflow, but that weight up there worries me even with the extra bracing.

Solar Wiring Provision, Because I will regret it otherwise, but think its a rip off

Control Panel, (water, battery) I really missed this before

Extended Draw Bar 300mm, primarily for extra drawbar storage. I am a little concerned with clearance on driveways, humps etc.

External Shower, Beach side, returning from fishing

Extra Water Tank, Needs to be factory fitted or you cant have a 82litre. Was going to use it plumbed direct to hand pump for drinking water only

Wind Up TV Antenna, because of convenience and I can’t add it later.

Extra Double Power Point Bed End, don’t know if I will need this with larger fridge

150 litre 3 way

Anderson Plug, saw one last week at the showroom and it look reasonable wire, but appeared to only feed the fridge?

External Picnic Table, been advised to get aftermarket one like Bushy’s one

Extra External 12 volt Socket., mounted behind fridge up high to feed 12volt to awning strut for lights.

Gas Bayonet, Don’t know where to put this

Factory supplied battery because it adds to plated weight and its reasonable at $300

Obviously awning, privacy screens etc

Thanks

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi Jim

For what it is worth my wife and I have just ordered a 16.49-3HL.OB.11EX with the following specs -

awning
hyland coupling
simplicity suspension
upgrade to oven instead of just cooktop and grill
control panel
wind up tv antenna
anderson plug
2 90 watt solar panels
2 batteries
gas bayonet external
extended A frame
inner spring mattresses
picnic table
privacy screens
16 inch wheels
150l fridge
NO air conditioner - we seldom stay on powered sites and are moving from offroad camper trailer to an Expanda - managed well for 6 years with no aircon - just our preference

Also we didn't like any of the bolster cushion fabrics so have ordered bolster and base cushions in the same base cushion fabric

Cheers

Bill

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply, I am also looking at the 16" wheels now and solar. What did the twin 90 setup cost you and is it factory or dealer fit?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I've just purchased a 100w folding solar panel. Plugged it up and set up to charge the battery on my wifes car. Worked like a dream.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Panel-Folding-Kit-Caravan-Camping-Power-100w-Mono-/260792923785?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item3cb8783689

Appears well made with solid support (not just spindley legs), protective corners & good carry handle. I have cut the cables and fitted 2 anderson plugs on the cut ends so I can plug straight into the van, or the rear of my truck to charge my second battery or reconnct the two plugs and use the alligator clips to charge another battery.

Paid $299 and 2 days later price down to $269.10, now $267.90 so well worth the money.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I've just purchased a 100w folding solar panel. Plugged it up and set up to charge the battery on my wifes car. Worked like a dream.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Panel-Folding-Kit-Caravan-Camping-Power-100w-Mono-/260792923785?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item3cb8783689

Appears well made with solid support (not just spindley legs), protective corners & good carry handle. I have cut the cables and fitted 2 anderson plugs on the cut ends so I can plug straight into the van, or the rear of my truck to charge my second battery or reconnct the two plugs and use the alligator clips to charge another battery.

Paid $299 and 2 days later price down to $269.10, now $267.90 so well worth the money.

Hey Chartrock, i picked up a folding 80W panel from the camping show that came with a regulator. Can i plug it straight to the van anderson plug (which apparently charges my battery while driving)? Or do i have to run new cabling direct to the battery for the solar panel. I find the van electrics very confusing.

As for the options Jim, they all look great!

A few comments from the ones we chose.
Love the control panel
Love the twin water tanks
Love the picnic table
Love the external bayonet (ours is at the rear because i didbn't want our bed canvas smelling like a BBQ, ours is a single fold out)
Love the external shower and HWS (Though both do eat into cupboard space, small price to pay for the convienience)

Think i'm still in the honeymoon period at the moment...............

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hey Moto,

I hate electrics, but guess you could go straight to the Anderson Plug, was chatting with oldblade from MySwag the other week at the Myall River gathering, he had his plugged straight to the Anderson on his Topaz camper.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hey Chartrock, i picked up a folding 80W panel from the camping show that came with a regulator. Can i plug it straight to the van anderson plug (which apparently charges my battery while driving)? Or do i have to run new cabling direct to the battery for the solar panel. I find the van electrics very confusing.

Yeah, Moto. Just plug straight into the anderson plug on the van. The controller on the panel puts out a similar voltage to the car alternator so the van doesn't know any difference. :typing:

M

Mike

Hi, I've got the same model expanda ordered and have wired up fridge and solar like this- the fridge is powered thru the trailer plug while under way and the Anderson plug is connected straight to the batteries in the expanda so the car alternator can charge them. When on site and not connected to the car the solar panel is connected to the Anderson plug that goes to the batteries and the panels charge the batts. My thinking was to keep the panels off the roof as I have the 2200 a/c up there as well and didn't want to put any more weight up there. The jayco panels are seriously expensive, eg a bp solar 130w panel is $690, and this is an expensive panel compared to what's on eBay that will do the job just as well.

Cheers
Mike

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey Jim have you odered the new one yet if so when do you get it?

There is so many options to choose from thats have the battle :thumb:

Hey Cruza, you been talking to my wife? She is on my case about it, but I want to sort the options and payload out 1st

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
It's great hearing what everyone else is doing - yes it is expensive to go the way I have (getting Jayco to provide solar) - my rationale is that I'm not really comfortable fiddling with electrics + having it all factory fitted means any extra weight will be reflected in the final tare weight + warranty provided. I'm not concerned re weight on roof as we have not ordered air conditioning. We will fit a gas heater later on (something I and a mate can do between us - he has a heating/cooling business). Plus managed overall to get what I consider a reasonable discount on price of van from my dealer. Compared to the vans I was originally looking at ($70K + ) the Expanda is a bargain.

This forum is great - love seeing everyone's photos and reading comments etc

Cheers

Bill