Discovery New Discovery - 17.55-SH Outback

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Well, she is home, the holiday capsule.. Had an uneventful trip home and the "towrig" did a stunning job, again. View attachment 12977

Safely home and backed into it's storage area....View attachment 12978

A moment of relief, when the Webber fitted.View attachment 12979

There were a few little things needing attention, the seat base had fabric "pulls", they are getting replaced and little quality control things I touched up, not unexpected, but better than I thought it could have been.

The only question I have is the 12v water pump operation, it sounds like there is air in the line, as it is not a continuous stream, but rather a spatter effect. Is this normal, or should I be looking for a pin hole size air leak? There appears to be no actual water leaks BTW.

Anyway, thanks for check list and support, and I hope I can be of assistance to anyone else at some time.

Mat

Well done nice van!!!!

What model q is in the bag?

I had a similar problem with our disco.

I have found switching the water tank control from the rear tank to the forward tank solved the spattering problem.

But not sure yet on the root cause of the issue.

Let us know how you get along....

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Looking good there mate, as for the pump yep as said just make sure the tap for the tanks is in the right position, it does actually have an "off" postion the tap has a little arrow on it, you can select front/rear/both or off, just make sure both tanks are full run the pump then play with the tank selector tap and you'll see which way is what.

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Thankyou for all the advise in respect to the pump "splatter". I turned the tap on and played with the tank selector tap, it is amazing that most replies knew where the problem most likely would be.....

There is clear hose coming into and out of the fitting, so you can see, when selecting either front or rear tanks, air bubbles being introduced (alot of bubbles). Selecting both tanks is the best setting, but clearly this fitting is rubbish. I will continue my old system I had with the Dove, anything that does not work properly, replace with a quality item. I'll keep you posted on the result.

The Webber is a Baby Q with a high lid and temp gauge. It is also sitting on the Webber trolley, so heaps of space up there.

Very happy.

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Little update on the tap. Most of the air was being introduced through the hand pump. I primed it properly and now it works as it should.

The tank selector tap needs to be just in the right spot, to seal properly.

So far;

Fixed 2 leaks - one in the rear window, and one at the lower roof section at the front.- Fun....:05.18-flustered:
relocated the drifter control panel
installed reversing camera
hard wired a rechargable maglite
replaced 50mm hitch with a Hitch Ezy
Lanonlin spray nearly everywhere

Nearly done now, just the stone stomper this coming weekend and we are off the following week!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Little update on the tap. Most of the air was being introduced through the hand pump. I primed it properly and now it works as it should.

The tank selector tap needs to be just in the right spot, to seal properly.

So far;

Fixed 2 leaks - one in the rear window, and one at the lower roof section at the front.- Fun....:05.18-flustered:
relocated the drifter control panel
installed reversing camera
hard wired a rechargable maglite
replaced 50mm hitch with a Hitch Ezy
Lanonlin spray nearly everywhere

Nearly done now, just the stone stomper this coming weekend and we are off the following week!

Sounds like some fantastic mods!!!

Any pics of the final products :)!!!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Well done, Matsoutback. Great list of mods. Remember it's not a competition, though.:becky: If you get too adventurous, we'll all get pressured to try and keep up.

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Ha ha... this mad rush doing "mods" and improving things will soon slow down. - Not competing, just "sorting my stuff"..:)
In saying that;
Next - I will look into replacing the kitchen door hinges with something better. A couple of the doors don't open up to 90 deg, because the next door is too close.

Anyone tried using normal kitchen door hinges?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Ha ha... this mad rush doing "mods" and improving things will soon slow down. - Not competing, just "sorting my stuff"..:)
In saying that;
Next - I will look into replacing the kitchen door hinges with something better. A couple of the doors don't open up to 90 deg, because the next door is too close.

Anyone tried using normal kitchen door hinges?
We're ready to start a book on you "slowing down". Haven't tackled hinges. I've got the overheads cupboards factory fitted with rabbit trap like springs. Mrs XF keeps the chocolates and spirits up there and they last longer cause of the effort to open the doors.

Reactions: chartrock

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
A little update and a question.
So far, 4500kms and all going well. This is a great family layout, for four. The storage space seems perfect for us and although compact in plan, it feels generous inside. 1.5 weeks to go before getting back to the grind...

The leaking rear window has been causing me grief, even though I thought I fixed it, it appears I did not.... Grrr
The water is coming in from the top in the middle of the window. sometimes the water wicks down the fly screen and goes outside. My fear is that it is coming from higher up and tracking down on the inside of the curved fiberglass , then down inside the wall untill it comes to the window. Otherwise it could be the window itself, just weired it is at the top?

any ideas??

cheers to all.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
So far, 4500kms and all going well. This is a great family layout, for four. The storage space seems perfect for us and although compact in plan, it feels generous inside. 1.5 weeks to go before getting back to the grind...

The leaking rear window has been causing me grief, even though I thought I fixed it, it appears I did not.... Grrr
The water is coming in from the top in the middle of the window. sometimes the water wicks down the fly screen and goes outside. My fear is that it is coming from higher up and tracking down on the inside of the curved fiberglass , then down inside the wall untill it comes to the window. Otherwise it could be the window itself, just weired it is at the top?

any ideas??

cheers to all.
Hmmm.... We had a window do that on us but got Jayco to take a look at it for us. I have no idea what they did, but they managed to fix it. Sorry... Now I wished I had asked.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....

any ideas??

cheers to all.

We have the same on our disco :(....

Jayco re caulked it but no success!

I have some waterproof duct tape cover the top section of the window and it seems to have slowed it down for now.

I have also notice the same with the water coming down the fly screen?

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
I may know what has happened, the sickaflex I used when i fixed it was for fibreglass (291). it has not adhered well and was easy to remove. I have reapplied to the same locations and it is "fixed" again. When I get home I will buy another type and or prime the area before reapplying it.

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
We have the same on our disco :(....

Jayco re caulked it but no success!

I have some waterproof duct tape cover the top section of the window and it seems to have slowed it down for now.

I have also notice the same with the water coming down the fly screen?

its sort of good that we have a similar issue.... If you know what I mean.

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Well, we arrived home after nearly 6,000 km's. We live in an awsome country people. Best camp site would have been Cumberland River on the GOR. The heads up came from Expandasdownunder for that one, can't remember the member who posted it, but thanks heaps.

The Touareg did a mighty job, anyone wondering about the usefullness of the Touareg for towing duties should be reasured it is perfect. - Stable, comfortable, quiet, quick and economical. Our van with all the extra's would be around 2.3t loaded with nearly 200kg on the ball. Total trip economy was 14l /100. I am over the moon.

The rear window leak - FINALLY -
While in Coffs Harbour, I dropped into Watsons Caravans - (What an awsome group of people down there.) They sent me over to the service side of their business to discuss my leak(s). I spoke to a chap who obviously knew his stuff (I think it was Damien) and he suggested it may be the top hinge. (they were too busy to attend to it but were happy to pass on some advise :) )

After being able to replicate the leak at the top of the window with a few squirts from a water spray bottle, I was convinced the hinge was the problem.

- The fix - rub into the gap (between the perspex and black aluminium angle) some vasoline. The water was tracking inside and dripping onto the fly screen, coming inside. The vasoline prevents this by plugging up the gap. - Sounds simple now....

Happy chap now and a big thanks to Watsons Caravans at Coffs Harbour!

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Latest addition, a ladder for the top bunk. Nice little project with the boys - for the boys...
IMG_3936.jpg

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
But...found another leak - looks like the solar panel bracket screws were not sealed properly, 1 step forward, 1 back... I noticed bubbling in the ceiling -
IMG_3987.jpg

Lines up perfectly with the angle screwed and "sealed" to the roof. Took months to show through. Does anyone know if Jayco can replace the ceiling panel, or do they bodgy it up with paint etc...