17' Series new battery..

Mattd

Jul 26, 2015
Victoria
Hi guys,

Just picked up our new 17.56-2 ob and had them wire in for a second battery..

Questions are, is it just "plug and play"? positive to positive and neg to neg?
Will the drifter know it's connected?
Also, I was looking at the setec unit and noticed it said "lead acid for charging only" but the van came with a gel battery..

Also, the van is great..:-D
Thanks Mattd

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Pretty sure I read in the setec manual (yes im admitting to that) that gel batteries were ok also, will have to re read though to confirm

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Gel okay, mines going good anyway. Just hook up as normal just need to turn battery switch "ON" for it to work.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Does the "Battery" switch need to be switched "On" for the setec to be able to charge the battery in these vans or is that just to switch power sources?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The battery switch connects the battery to everything, setec, lights etc turn it off isolates the battery. I leave my battery switch ON all the time, that way when on 240 the battery gets charged or kept at charge and when no 240 I can have lights/pump going, I only turn it off for maintenance actually.
When the van is parked up at home the 240 is plugged in, battery ON, water pump and light switches OFF, fridge OFF until 2 days before take off then fire it up so it gets nice and cold, fridge packed the day before.
I only turn the water pump on when not on mains water but always off when on road.
Get into habit of turning HWS ON when hooking water up and shut it down when disconnecting water, that way you won't cook it. Reset button usually works though.

Mattd

Jul 26, 2015
Victoria
The battery switch connects the battery to everything, setec, lights etc turn it off isolates the battery. I leave my battery switch ON all the time, that way when on 240 the battery gets charged or kept at charge and when no 240 I can have lights/pump going, I only turn it off for maintenance actually.
When the van is parked up at home the 240 is plugged in, battery ON, water pump and light switches OFF, fridge OFF until 2 days before take off then fire it up so it gets nice and cold, fridge packed the day before.
I only turn the water pump on when not on mains water but always off when on road.
Get into habit of turning HWS ON when hooking water up and shut it down when disconnecting water, that way you won't cook it. Reset button usually works though.
Thanks for that. Im having a play around with the van at night and using a small amount of power, battery only.
The next day, im finding the battery rechagers fully without the bsttery switched on.
My question is, does the battery need to be switched on at the drifter for the solar to charge the battery?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi guys,

Just picked up our new 17.56-2 ob and had them wire in for a second battery..

Questions are, is it just "plug and play"? positive to positive and neg to neg?
Will the drifter know it's connected?
Also, I was looking at the setec unit and noticed it said "lead acid for charging only" but the van came with a gel battery..

Also, the van is great..:-D
Thanks Mattd

You will need to change the Amp Hour rating on the drifter (just add the 2 batteries AH together) so it will give you a more accurate capacity measurement, but other than that it's pretty much as you've stated

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks for that. Im having a play around with the van at night and using a small amount of power, battery only.
The next day, im finding the battery rechagers fully without the bsttery switched on.
My question is, does the battery need to be switched on at the drifter for the solar to charge the battery?

The solar should be directly connected to the battery so no it should not have to be switched on