New age vans

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
FYI In our viewing of other vans yesterday we looked at a lot of New Age vans because the dealer is local. Really a bit underwhelmed. The build quality is great but the ground clearance didn't suit us but some of the figures didn't add up to me. Now they don't put a lot of specs on paper, and I didn't bother noting down the specs but I found this on a secondhand one for sale. Now a single axle over two tonne doesn't excite me tbh, but then it's got 15" rims, when I had the Expanda I couldn't find a 15" that had over a 109 load rating. Not a lot of head room left for load IMO

Preston chassis , 6 inch chassis with 6 inch a frame with hangers , 50mm tow ball hitch

SUSPENSION

Single axle, alko offroad independant rubber suspension, 12’’ electric brakes

WHEELS

15 inch alloy mag wheels includingspare

CONSTRUCTION

maranti timber, aluminium exterior , checkerplate front sides and rear

ELECTRICAL

1 x 100 amp batterys , 25amp charger , emergency break away, 12 pin plug, Anderson plug

AIR CONDITIONING

Ibis air command reverse cycle with climate control

CARAVAN SPECIFICATIONS

Lengh internal-16.6ft

aggregated trailer mass-2153

Tare mass-1853

Tow ball-182

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
I had a squiz at the camping show last year and couldn't agree more. For that price tag I would go for Traveller.

In saying that....couldn't be happier with our setup. Will be that way for years to come I think. :) :)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yes interesting. I had a look at them at the show and decided the starcraft was a much better deal, not to mention warranty support. ..

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We would of gone New Age if we could of fitted another kid in the Bilby found a nice secondhand one for the same $'s we spent on the Starcraft. A lot better inside finish.
I really like the Mantra Ray bunk even with the gates moved forward we only have around 20cms before it did not fit. It was also more then we wanted to spend. I went back for another look a week before we settled on the Starcraft.
Offroad not so sure and being more Victorian based what is the warranty like interstate. I know my brother inlaw had to head back interstate with his van as no agents in Melb.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've looked at them and thought they were pretty good, a bit more $ than I had in my kick. Looked at them the other week at the Toowoomba van show but didn't care for the models displayed this time, no bench space. My rig has 15's and I've fitted 1200kg tyres to it and most vans you only have a 300kg load anyway.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah but with tyre ratings you should always give them a bit of headroom, say 80% also the Alko springs are rated for 2t not to mention the mags! I have been here before, personally 2t on a single axle is the absolute limit. And I perfer less say 1800kg buts me.

Was interesting with our second 16ft Expanda. As it was optioned right up (but not on 16"s) and had an ATM of close to 2100kg, Jayco fitted a firestone LT tyres not the usual GT radials? Do you think they suspected something?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We would of gone New Age if we could of fitted another kid in the Bilby found a nice secondhand one for the same $'s we spent on the Starcraft. A lot better inside finish.
I really like the Mantra Ray bunk even with the gates moved forward we only have around 20cms before it did not fit. It was also more then we wanted to spend. I went back for another look a week before we settled on the Starcraft.
Offroad not so sure and being more Victorian based what is the warranty like interstate. I know my brother inlaw had to head back interstate with his van as no agents in Melb.

Dave I'd bet my house you couldn't have packed for 5 and been anywhere near your legal load with that van

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Dave I'd bet my house you couldn't have packed for 5 and been anywhere near your legal load with that van
Still would of been ok with the Disco. ATM 500kg more then Starcraft.
Honestly after looking at lots and lots of vans over a three shows :) Mantra Ray and Basestation where the two I liked the best.
Basestation really does not fit.. Had a look at a Work n Play although you end up with no table with kids asleep.
I really like vans where the kids are up the other end of the open door. So your not opening and closing the door at night 20cm's from where they are sleeping.

Yes the interior is a lot better and seems a lot better made... No idea how it will go off road although short term we probably not going more then a dirt track.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Still would of been ok with the Disco. ATM 500kg more then Starcraft.
Honestly after looking at lots and lots of vans over a three shows :) Mantra Ray and Basestation where the two I liked the best.
Basestation really does not fit.. Had a look at a Work n Play although you end up with no table with kids asleep.
I really like vans where the kids are up the other end of the open door. So your not opening and closing the door at night 20cm's from where they are sleeping.

Yes the interior is a lot better and seems a lot better made... No idea how it will go off road although short term we probably not going more then a dirt track.

aggregated trailer mass-2153
Tare mass-1853
Payload 300kg that includes your gas 20kg, water 160kg = 120kg left to pack food, drinks, cloths, cooking gear and anything else a family of 5 would pack???????????????

Reactions: cruza driver

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Just looked at. Bilby said 200kg payload wtf :) which model are you looking at Jimmy.
We looked at the 16" before we moved the gate in front of gas meter so we had around 1.5 meters less space
At that time almost brought a Work n play 14"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Jayco never even had a display at the TWB Van Show which was disappointing, seemed like everyone else had a display there but the CEL vans really got my interest, very flash and looked nicely put together better than my house but I would need a F350 to drag it even though they reckoned the Jeep would do it but right on the max limit, 245 ball and 3450 GVM, leaves me 105kg on the ball and 50kg spare to drag.
My 14.44 came with 900kg tyres for a GVM of 1850kg and it only has 300kg payload, hate to put it on the pads when she's ready to rock an roll. The joys of retirement, pack for two........more room for wine and beer.

Reactions: chartrock