Electrical N3000 fridge

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Evening I have a 2 door fridge in the 2020 expanda normally I leave power connected to the van pull the plug every now and then but mainly it's plugged in...
Fridge is on its lowest setting just ticking away ......
Moved the van other day unplugged it plugged back in ....we had a fair storm next morning lightning thunder which is normal with a storm ....
What's not normal is my fridge now works on gas ... 12 volt plugged into car ...
But NOT ON 240 the vans power points work as I tested with a hair dryer tested the plug next to fridge plug but fridge reading error 10 not getting power I have a wiring diagram but no idea where the fuses are carnt see any in the back
Any help would be great where are these fuses Screenshot_20231212-075209_Messages.jpg

Last edited:

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
My thetford fridge had fuses mounted on the circuit board at the back of the fridge. I had to remove the cover and maneuver the board out a bit, before I could see them. Take several photos of the wiring beforehand just in case something comes unplugged on the board

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I doubt a lightning surge did anything otherwise the fridge circuits and some others would be fried and the RCD should have tripped... not to say the little fuse hasn't fizzed though.

If its a double power point your fridge is plugged into check that both points work with your hair dryer then UNPLUG LEAD FROM POWER POINT check the fuse as mentioned above if its okay then with lead still unplugged test continuity of the 3 wires in lead before you put the circuit board cover back on, if it checks out okay then its in the board itself I would say as its saying no mains power.... Code 10 so not heater element.

I unplug van fully from mains when on the 240v side of things just to be safe....

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I doubt a lightning surge did anything otherwise the fridge circuits and some others would be fried and the RCD should have tripped... not to say the little fuse hasn't fizzed though.

If its a double power point your fridge is plugged into check that both points work with your hair dryer then UNPLUG LEAD FROM POWER POINT check the fuse as mentioned above if its okay then with lead still unplugged test continuity of the 3 wires in lead before you put the circuit board cover back on, if it checks out okay then its in the board itself I would say as its saying no mains power.... Code 10 so not heater element.

I unplug van fully from mains when on the 240v side of things just to be safe....
There was a plastic cover in the bottom vent area but I couldn't see any fuses in there so I'm not sure where they are it's funny the fridge runs on gas and on 12 volt connected to car tested that last night but not 240 ac... because it runs on 12 volt makes my mate think its a fuse ??? Wish I could find them I've tried google but there a few things on there that you carnt find out lol we mite be going away very very soon so the gas will get a good work out if the ac dosnt come good

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
There was a plastic cover in the bottom vent area but I couldn't see any fuses in there so I'm not sure where they are it's funny the fridge runs on gas and on 12 volt connected to car tested that last night but not 240 ac... because it runs on 12 volt makes my mate think its a fuse ??? Wish I could find them I've tried google but there a few things on there that you carnt find out lol we mite be going away very very soon so the gas will get a good work out if the ac dosnt come good
@Bluey , from what you have advised, it seems to me that you have an AES system (Automatic Energy Selection) with your fridge. It normally selects in the following order - 240v AC, and if this NOT available then the system will try 12v DC from tug when connected, and then gas. If no gas turned on or no gas connected, I believe it will automatically try 240v again and so on until some energy source is found or connected. I would go with what @Drover suggested as I believe that somehow 240v ac is NOT available or not found. Incidentally, in my smaller basic Thetford 93 litre single door fridge, the fuses for 240v AC and 12v DC are at the top, meaning one has to disconnect 240v, 12 volt and gas connections to move fridge forward enough to get to fuses. Hopefully with your large more up market fridge, you will be able to check it out without doing that.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The gas/12v/240v are individual systems only connected by the selector .. The fuses may be small glass fuses or possibly just a white/grey job about the same size as the glass one, I doubt they would be like you find in cars now ...... Thetford don't have the same highly detailed manual like the Dometic units, have found it to be quite a hassle before ......... I will have a look at the van I'm fiddling with here, it may be a Thetford so I can have a squiz and see, you might be in luck .............

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Had a look @Bluey , it is a N300 series Thetford, got in the back and removed the panel cover and it seems like if any fuses they are under the circuit board so the whole unit would have to be removed then circuit board lifted to see, what a horses bottom of a set up...... best bet is to see if you can test the blue/brown/green wire in the cord to make sure they haven't a break anywhere from socket to rear panel connections tried to see if I could pull off the dinky cover on the connectors on the circuit panel but they seem fragile and not being mine I don't want to snap anything .... but confirming there is no break in the mains lead will confirm if it the board.

So check that the actual power point thats used is working, then the lead, I have had one point not working as the rocker switch had failed.....

Reactions: Boots in Action

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks @Boots in Action and @Drover it seems bit of a fault or weal point in the fridges is the circuit board or mother board as I rang thretford a out the N 3000 series fridges doing this very nice lady I spoke to she said it happens a bit and it always the circuit board 300 for a new one what date was your van brought new early 2020 mmmm out of warranty sorry about that of coarse I said if it's a regular problem why not just fix it like a recall mmmmmmm no sorry I will get my caravan service centre one of the best in melb on the case .... they got me warranty work on my expanda 3 years out of warranty but at 300 that's not to bad .....
She said it's fine to run on gas the whole time if we go away ......it's allready booked in for early next year

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Was hoping it wasn't the board, you need a cluey sparky mate to have a squiz at the board as it may just be a dry joint which seems to happen a fair bit on a lot of boards, heat, movement and the poor join lets go, just too much rush when QC done on them, if they do that is..........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Been doing some research @Bluey, a 240 power test on the board where the cable connects should show up between 190-260vac, if it does then its the board if not then its the power supply to fridge................ The circuit board has been updated the earlier one was part #691101 new one is 692248 so they must have fixed something................ bluddy exxy bit of kit at $360, so long as your fridge is a N3145 -175- or 185 then thats the part, if you get someone to fit it ensure they are using one with the later part number or history may repeat itself.................

Actually discovered a Fault Code check list it will load as a pdf; : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiszNiK65WDAxXVzDQHHbnLCOoQFnoECB8QAQ&url=https://www.thetford-europe.com/api/v1/DocumentTranslation/1099/ContentDownload&usg=AOvVaw3YhUDPH41_Vn-ouwr4BQPd&opi=89978449

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Thanks @Boots in Action and @Drover it seems bit of a fault or weal point in the fridges is the circuit board or mother board as I rang thretford a out the N 3000 series fridges doing this very nice lady I spoke to she said it happens a bit and it always the circuit board 300 for a new one what date was your van brought new early 2020 mmmm out of warranty sorry about that of coarse I said if it's a regular problem why not just fix it like a recall mmmmmmm no sorry I will get my caravan service centre one of the best in melb on the case .... they got me warranty work on my expanda 3 years out of warranty but at 300 that's not to bad .....
She said it's fine to run on gas the whole time if we go away ......it's allready booked in for early next year
Sounds like she must have worked for FCA Jeep.! Typical bs from companies who will not stand by their products.ACCC ACL laws state that products must be fit for purpose.One would expect a fridge to last longer than three years, plus admitting its a known regular problem says it all.! ACL laws cover these faulty products over and above normal Thetford warranty!I would ring her again reminding her what she said is illegal under Australian consumer law and would expect
a foc board to be supplied!

Reactions: Drover and Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Been doing some research @Bluey, a 240 power test on the board where the cable connects should show up between 190-260vac, if it does then its the board if not then its the power supply to fridge................ The circuit board has been updated the earlier one was part #691101 new one is 692248 so they must have fixed something................ bluddy exxy bit of kit at $360, so long as your fridge is a N3145 -175- or 185 then thats the part, if you get someone to fit it ensure they are using one with the later part number or history may repeat itself.................

Actually discovered a Fault Code check list it will load as a pdf; : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiszNiK65WDAxXVzDQHHbnLCOoQFnoECB8QAQ&url=https://www.thetford-europe.com/api/v1/DocumentTranslation/1099/ContentDownload&usg=AOvVaw3YhUDPH41_Vn-ouwr4BQPd&opi=89978449

Nice work mate see she at was right in one aspect that it's a known problem
5 stars mate you get the chocolates
I'm getting my caravan repaires people not in the west there in the north very professional crowd ... if fitted by professionals then you get your warranty again its allready booked in

Reactions: Drover