Exterior Moving Gas bottle

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
Morning all. looking for confirmation of advice from Jayco.

OK, while I'm sure they good intentions and staff but I'd like to confirm the following:

I'm moving my gas bottle to inside a tool box on the A frame. I'll be venting the box and separating the bottle from the rest of the gear.

My question is I want to remove the hard piping etc and was advised by Jayco that I can use a normal hose with regulator. that my question really; is all that hardware with the bottle just a gas regulator?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Do you only have one bottle? Yep it's just a regulator , just be aware once you start playing with the hard piping you really should get it complianced again?

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
Do you only have one bottle? Yep it's just a regulator , just be aware once you start playing with the hard piping you really should get it complianced again?
Yep, just the 1 bottle. would I need a gas fitter for the compliance? Seems strange. What's the difference for all the BBQ's that have leads changed?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep, just the 1 bottle. would I need a gas fitter for the compliance? Seems strange. What's the difference for all the BBQ's that have leads changed?

I am not sure what the relevant state regs are but I thought modifications definetly require it. It's your call though I used our 2nd van for 12 mths before I got it certified to sell it :p this time did it straight away. But done all the work myself, it's just rules Ross follow em or break em your call.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
I am not sure what the relevant state regs are but I thought modifications definetly require it. It's your call though I used our 2nd van for 12 mths before I got it certified to sell it :p this time did it straight away. But done all the work myself, it's just rules Ross follow em or break em your call.
All good advice, thanks. Would hate to loose an insurance claim through being naive.

None of which was mentioned by Jayco, hence my question here. I prefer to deal with real world people, not just product employees.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Morning all. looking for confirmation of advice from Jayco.

OK, while I'm sure they good intentions and staff but I'd like to confirm the following:

I'm moving my gas bottle to inside a tool box on the A frame. I'll be venting the box and separating the bottle from the rest of the gear.

My question is I want to remove the hard piping etc and was advised by Jayco that I can use a normal hose with regulator. that my question really; is all that hardware with the bottle just a gas regulator?
Caravan gas regs are two stage regulators.
I moved my single gas bottle on our 16.49 into a drawbar tool box. I used the original copper and re-routed that into the box to the regulator and then flexy to the bottle

I used compliant flexy shorts from a gas supplier

Ive moved both gas bottles on the 20.63 to the front of the drawbar box. I replaced the copper to the reg, and again flexy to the bottles
20160311_073344-resized-1280.jpg

Remember to keep your regulator higher than the gas bottle.
Whys that @MDS69.

You might need to let Jayco know.

Neither of my last two van regs were above the bottles, and a quick scan around the c/park the other Expandas here arent either

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Id suggest your spot on @achjimmy. Vans require gas compliance on manufacture, so any mods to the gas would fall under the same requirements ..... technically ;)

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
this is all great, thanks everyone.

Funny thing is I told Jayco exactly what I was doing and they never mentioned any of this.

Crusty - the two stage thing - does that have to be replicated? Again Jayco said I could simply use a 'normal' gas fitting. they only have the single regulator.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Caravan gas regs are two stage regulators.
I moved my single gas bottle on our 16.49 into a drawbar tool box. I used the original copper and re-routed that into the box to the regulator and then flexy to the bottle

I used compliant flexy shorts from a gas supplier

Ive moved both gas bottles on the 20.63 to the front of the drawbar box. I replaced the copper to the reg, and again flexy to the bottles
View attachment 39602

Whys that @MDS69.

Neither of my last two van regs were above the bottles, and a quick scan around the c/park the other Expandas here arent either
my gas reg is mounted higher than the bottles and the thought of you with the plumber crack showing is :( :behindsofa:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Remember to keep your regulator higher than the gas bottle.

If my memory serves me well (And feel free to correct me @MDS69) there are two reasons why the reg should/must be higher than the bottle outlet....

1) It is in the Regs!!!!
2) The stored gas is in a liquefied state (Make sense?). If the Reg is lower the liquid can get into it and foul the regulator.

PS and OT:
Have also been quiet about your admission elsewhere @MDS69 ;)

Reactions: MDS69

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If my memory serves me well (And feel free to correct me @MDS69) there are two reasons why the reg should/must be higher than the bottle outlet....

1) It is in the Regs!!!!
2) The stored gas is in a liquefied state (Make sense?). If the Reg is lower the liquid can get into it and foul the regulator.

PS and OT:
Have also been quiet about your admission elsewhere @MDS69 ;)

1) I didn't know that
2) that is what I have read before, thanks for posting it up
3) thank you. Lucky I didn't say I am an EELS supporter but just as well I don't drive a BT50....

Reactions: dagree

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Whys that @MDS69.

Further to what @dagree posted I recall a member here relocated bottles and reg into a draw bar mounted box and had issues and put it down to regulator height

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Jayco do some weird things, but i cant see them flaunting the gas regs, especially with someone having to individually sign off on the installation.

A few other van brands around the c/park have their regs very high compareds to the bottles, but the Expandas .... not so much

Reactions: mfexpanda