18' Series Moving battery

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Has anyone moved their battery? Ours is in the tunnel boot, it is right in the middle, so I can see it getting in the way of poles etc. There is a space behind/under the hot water unit which is also very close to the setec. Anyway just wondering?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers Geoff

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
i have the same issue, i looked into it, but ended just moving it against the wall on the inside of the storage area, as there are many wires, such as the drifter and solar gear, also a large inverter, there was just too much to run and relocate. as for the poles and deflappers and items as such, did you see where i relocated them? i have also added some poles to the collection above the broom. stops them all from getting marks on them, and frees up space. the chairs i store in the front storage box, and 2 of the tables are under the rear end bed lid.
deflaper storage.jpg

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Adam, mine hasn't got many wires. Positives and neutrals are just doubled up (prob' a cheap way instead of using thick cable) and they go to the setec so it would be easy to move. Thinking of the weight, battery is heavy but where I was thinking of moving it is close to over the wheels.

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
i just bought some 8 gauge cable from jaycar today for the solar panels on the roof, as the cable was too thin. it was around $8 per meter. if i were to move the battery - i would use at least this cable. and just run it from where the battery was to where you are going to mount the battery. as long as the battery in on or forward of the wheels - then all good. remember it weights around 30-40 kg with the case, so this will be taken off the drawbar weight. i guess your not running a inverter?? if you were then this has to be moved as well with the battery as they can draw well over 100 amps, and the losses over the cable is too great. i use a inverter with a auto changeover relay for some of the power points in the van, so they always have power either on mains or without mains power. also your solar regulator will need to be moved as well if you have one?? closer to the battery the better.

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
you have a very simular van to ours, the hotwater service in ours is under the pantry, on a shelf above the wheel arch. which on the floor under the wheel arch is the water pump?? no room for the battery underthere as well? or maybe you are talkig about under the fridge, there is a card board....?? there is water drains underthere for the fridge?? so i am at a loss where it is going to be moved too? do you have a photo of the position you are going to move it too?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Pipes can be moved, I was toying with the idea of moving the pump because that's just a waste of space and a mess of plumbing fittings and valves. The van will be re plumbed in a month when I start getting it the way I want it. I would really like a clean tunnel boot. You are correct, van is similar to yours just shorter and no bunks.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
wherever you put the battery just remember you need to lift it in and out of the box so a cupboard is unlikely to work, as the box should be secured to the ground, i wouldn't install a battery unless it was enclosed to prevent spills, seen a couple that split, they destroyed the box but nothing else.
some other makers (Avan is one) put the battery in a sealed box vented to outside, which is the best method in my books, they can give off dangerous gases

not sure of your layout but i have seen one under the seat where a drawer once was, they just dismantled the draw and screwed the face back on from behind, it looked neat and tidy, but you lose a drawer .........