16' Series Mounting light weight solar panel to hard top bed end

MeLKoR

Nov 21, 2019
Bright, Vic
Hello All,

I have a 2012 Expanda pop top with the hard top bed ends.

I have just purchased a kings semi flexible 160W solar panel. (https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adventure-kings-160w-semi-flexible-solar-panel.html )

I am thinking of mounting it to the front bed end as it only weighs 3.9kg.

It has eyelets in the corners so to secure it i was planning on putting two bolt (opposite corners) through the front bed end, and drill a hole in the end of the bolts so i can put a pad lock through the bolt.

I do not want to permanently mount it so i want it to be removable, but i also want it to be secure.

Has anyone mounted anything like this to a bed end? Or drilled through the bed end? I'm not sure what the internal construction of them is like.

I was planning on using 8mm bolts and some very big washers to spread the pressure of the bolt out, and silicon to seal the hole. It will not be on there while traveling, and only designed stop someone from pinching the panel or to stop the wind from blowing it away.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks

Tony

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
See if the bed end will handle the extra weight before drilling any holes, depends on how good the rams are, though I wouldn't because the solar panel would be flat on a surface with no air flow for cooling they get flamin hot.
I would have it set up like an awning so it gets a nice flow of air around it, this will also mean its putting out optimum power, gets too hot it supplies less power not to mention have a meltdown, similarly throwing them over a bonnet or windscreen not a great idea.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
I have a flexible fold up panel which is light and folds down to 50x40x4 cm. I just lay it on the lid of my expanda or set it up to follow the sun. Works a treat without having to physically drill into anything.
If you want to use hooks then I would use the 3M hooks or Velcro.