18' Series Mods that is recommended

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Hi everyone with massive 43 long and painful days till we pick up our first expanda just wondering what are people recommending on modifying or tips and tricks to the expanda.
Cheers.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Welcome @Tucker

Only 43 days to wait, thats fantastic, I waited around 5 months for ours.

There are literally hundreds of different mods possible, and I'm sure you will see plenty of ideas here on the forum to wet your appetite.

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Thanks I've been looking through so many posts
And hopefully between now and pick up I just need at sell our 4 month old swan outback

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
:welcome:

Suggest you just consider the type of camping you want to do.....and adjust the extras / mods to fit that.

Reactions: Drover and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
What model are you getting @Tucker ? And as @Dobbie said... A lot will also depend on what type of camping you will be doing, number of people travelling etc.

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
At this stage we are caravan parks to get the better half and 2 lil kids use to it then my plan is out free camping.
We are getting the 1858-2 expanda can't wait

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Looked at the 18.58-2 Outback at the local caravan show a couple of months ago and was very tempted until I got "That Look" from Mrs Dagree :mad-3:.

I would suggest using it a few times and then work out what you want vs need ;) We (and I guess others) have thought of many mods while away on trips.

Jamcor

Feb 29, 2016
Qld
Hey tucker outback swan should sell fast mine sold in 5 days there still a sort after camper and the new owner doesnt have to wait good luck with new expanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Great news and as @dagree and @Dobbie said, in regards to mods and extra's best to wait and see. Heaps of research is good in the meantime though, just keep the wallet in the pocket as you may buy something that comes highly recommended which you will hardly use especially the techo stuff, fun toys until the novelty wears off.
The annex mats from ALDI are great value and a grey water hose from The Green Shed, 10m for $9 isn't wasted.
Road dirt is the best mod, as it means your doing something thats not work.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree. We've got lots of road dirt available for anyone who wants it.

Today only, hopefully.

I'd add a water filter to your list if you don't have one as yet....and maybe a water tester.

Reactions: dagree and Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as @dagree said earlier

depends on your style of camping
you said
At this stage we are caravan parks to get the better half and 2 lil kids use to it then my plan is out free camping.

how long do you expect to be Caravan parks before you try the free camping bit..........?

extended Draw Bar (too late now if you have not already got - you specify this at your "pre-start")
extra power points - again, if you have not already done this, it may be too late

fitting extra 12V points and 240V points and extra lights can be done after pickup, just easier if its done factory..........

anything you add, will also be weight you have to tow

factory fitted Solar systems - a must - you can always upgrade to bigger and better parts when you do need to - the basic one is great and will be ok until you do

extra water tanks - great for your uses while away - washing - dishes - kids - etc - but they are an added weight until you need them

there are more Mod known that you would imagine

just remember - 1 persons mod, may not suit you or your style of camping

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
USB Chargers
Something like this
8e8d0ded86be9e46c19affacb8d9cc4b.jpg

Inverter auto AC connect is the ducks nutz but you will need a Sparky to fit safely
http://www.projecta.com.au/site/Def...ents/Inverters/IP2000_Instructions_Issue1.pdf

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Thanks everyone we got the
extended drawbar
Privacy screens
Coast to coast
Washing machine
External shower
Fusion stereo
And picnic tables

There seem to be lots of power points all ready in it just wondering it an external light on the right side of it is worth it and cost wise too
Cheers

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Thanks everyone we got the
extended drawbar
Privacy screens
Coast to coast
Washing machine
External shower
Fusion stereo
And picnic tables

There seem to be lots of power points all ready in it just wondering it an external light on the right side of it is worth it and cost wise too
Cheers

Also forgot the antenna

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the cost to get it done when making your Van, as opposed to getting a sparky in, and not being able to "hide" cables.......

easier to pay, and get it done with manufacturing

a light near to where your External Shower is would be good, late home from the beach, just getting dark (also, for when you get an enclosure for when your free camping in the future)

a couple of power points under the dinette, for running TV / DVD / Laptops etc
a dedicated light for at the table in the bulkhead
an extra PP in your kitchen area - toaster / coffee machine / frying pan / etc (nothing worse than extension cords inside the Van - ugly ugly ugly)
PP's near the beds for night lights / Phone Chargers / Laptop charges / electric blankets etc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Washing machine is good, check that it's plumbing is hooked up before using it though..........extended draw bar, well I reckon they are the minimum length, the standard ones are too short..................whats not a waste is getting a sail track fitted on the off side, then you can run a shade wall down the whole side of the van, just the same as what you hang off the awning just pick a size that you like, keeps not only the fridge cool but the whole wall. This is mine late this arvo, also keeps the lights from neighbours who don't know when to turn the damn things off at a distance.

vanside.jpg

Last edited: