mitsubishi triton mn ute and 17.56-01 ob

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this set up. Really struggles to get van moving especially if slightly up hill. Once moving it is fine Would wdh help by taking some of the weight off the rear wheels? Tug is a new 2014 Mitsubishi triton manual and a new to us 12/11expanda 17.56-1. Van is level when hitched to tug and car is marginally nose up. Can't for life of me see how triton could tow 3t to which is rated.

Kevin

Jun 5, 2013
Auto or manual?
We tow a 20.63.1 with one. (Manual)Only time I have ever had a problem was on a reasonable hill on the side of the road with loose gravel Put it in high range 4wd to get moving then shifted back to 2wd. Moved off with no dramas

Reactions: Still_dreamin

aaronfinn

Mar 11, 2014
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this set up. Really struggles to get van moving especially if slightly up hill. Once moving it is fine Would wdh help by taking some of the weight off the rear wheels? Tug is a new 2014 Mitsubishi triton manual and a new to us 12/11expanda 17.56-1. Van is level when hitched to tug and car is marginally nose up. Can't for life of me see how triton could tow 3t to which is rated.
got the same set up, tows fine, weight distribution hitch makes for a heaps better ride

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Manual. Really hard to get moving in first on any sort of grade at lights.. Big belch of black smoke which was concerning from brand new vehicle
We have the same problems with all of the tritons in our fleet, minus the towing. Very sluggish and bellow out smoke under load. Most have had on going I take manifold issues, to the point I am changing all of them out for second hand hiluxes. Mitsubishi have not been able to rectify, all have had multiple failures of the same parts.

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
Found out why we were having troubles. Blew a hose off the inter cooler on way for a long weekend at Byron Bay. Loud pop in the engine bay and then high pitch whine like turbo was trying to destroy itself. 45 mins on side of gateway motorway waiting for flat bed tow truck that could take the whole family then we were dropped at a servo for another 40 min wait. Rang the dealer and was talked through it by service manager so when mechanic arrived all he had to was reattach the offending hose. Since everything has been tightened up it is towing nicely. Must have been losing boost from day one.
Funnily enough had a similar thing happen to my mk triton when it was new.

Reactions: cruza driver

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hi @Still_dreamin we struggle up big hills if you don't get a good run up. Off the traffic lights, just build your speed up gradually. Otherwise we can't fault the car for the price.
Dream tow tug would be V8 VX Cruiser or a V8 SRT Cherokee. But the BT50 might be more in the price range.
Cheers Deano

southerndreamer

Mar 21, 2014
Ah just one other question from the Triton drivers please. My neighbour tows with a Subaru and was told to de activate his Active Stability Control when towing. Nothing in my manual about that, I wonder if anyone has some advice about the ASC please.

Dunga71

Jun 3, 2013
Sale Victoria
No need when normal wheeling but a good idea to flick the ASC off when driving in sand or mud,doesn't affect the traction control