Mitsubishi Pajero Platinum 2012

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
After lots of discussion about what car we were going to look at next and changing our mind a few times along the way back and forth between dual cabs and 4x4 wagons we decided on a Platinum Pajero.

The thread about fuel economy was a big help in our decision with real world feedback not dealership hype. Also along with a few PM's to forum members on here about there experiences with there tow vehicles and how they found them.

Having had a Mitsubihi Triton in the past and a good run out of it I went for another Mitsubishi. There warranty on offer was a big incentive too along with the extras that are available on the Platinum Edition

One of the bonus's was the free 3T towbar plus things like sat nav, 12 speaker Rockford stereo, reverse camera, etc etc
I also got fitted the factory nudge bar, the spare wheel lifted on the back door and a rear dust deflector which the dealer hadn't fitted yet to any other Paj's for a along time as most people go for the spoiler.

We replaced our Honda CRV sport which had been with us for 11 years and over 200,000km. The Cruiser will be parked along side the Pajero in the Garage.

Ok here it is and once again thanks to those answering my PM's :thumb:
The trusty CRV which never let us down.
009.jpg

018.jpg
7Km on the odo at pick up
010.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I like how the rear seats go under the back floor and can be removed for extra storage in needed
020.jpg
Rear seats without the head rests fitted which also are stored below the floor
021.jpg
The Cruiser getting to know the Paj
036.jpg

047.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Cruza

Great colour, I think the current NW Pajero is about the best value option out there and it will tow your Expanda like a dream. Just be wary of the rear bump stops, on standard springs they seem to get hammered other than that and the shitty OEM tyres they are pretty good out of the box. Although I can attest that doing a 140 kph across the hay plains with 2 T of Expanda behind doesn't lead to good fuel economy :becky: but it does get you there quickly. 90-100 kmh is a lot better.

Happy motoring and I guess this is the better halfs? And the mods will be kept to a min?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
good job!
My neighbour has one too and is very happy with it, especially towing.

Only problem.......its looking way too clean. Plenty of mud around the Valley at the moment :)

And if they are parked together, tell the Cruiser and Paj "no fighting"

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Nice one Adam!!..
I seriously thought about one before I bought the Jeep.
I loved the NP we had for our big trip (it was my father-in-laws and I got it when he went and bought a new NT).

I had his NT for a few days recently (a VRX) and overall it was nice, but ultimately, not me.

Everyone's getting new tugs straight away and I'm left here waiting until Sept before I can take delivery of my new toy......boohoo..

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Adam, congrats mate, glad you've seen the light! Ours is identical but with no nudge bar. I'm sure you will "love thar car" :D

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well done mate, I'm sure you'll get a great run out of it! Good color choice!:thumb:
Thanks Drewy I was checking out your Pajero photos the other day mate, very nice
Hi Cruza

Happy motoring and I guess this is the better halfs? And the mods will be kept to a min?

Thanks Jimmy yes it is, as for mods I'll be doing the suspension probably go for a 40-50mm lift with rear airbags. I'm in no hurry to tow with it as the Cruiser will be used for the local trips and the Pajero for the big trips. Dual batteries is on on the list too along with driving lights.I will have to change the trigg off the Expanda to run a WDH also, so just looking at all options before that happens as I really like the Trigg.

Nice one Adam!!..
I seriously thought about one before I bought the Jeep.
I loved the NP we had for our big trip (it was my father-in-laws and I got it when he went and bought a new NT).

I had his NT for a few days recently (a VRX) and overall it was nice, but ultimately, not me.

Everyone's getting new tugs straight away and I'm left here waiting until Sept before I can take delivery of my new toy......boohoo..
Thanks Matty by my research everyone seems to be extremely happy with there Pajero's and it was a deal that was hard to refuse. I do like the Jeeps to though :smile:

Hey Adam, congrats mate, glad you've seen the light! Ours is identical but with no nudge bar. I'm sure you will "love thar car" :D

Thanks Burnsy and thanks for answering my questions too mate, much appreciated :thumb:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
good job!
My neighbour has one too and is very happy with it, especially towing.

Only problem.......its looking way too clean. Plenty of mud around the Valley at the moment :)

And if they are parked together, tell the Cruiser and Paj "no fighting"

Here you go SD this was from earlier today. We didn't travel to far along here (Acheron Way) as there was alot of trees down from last Fridays winds and rain that blew through the area :o

533.jpg

534.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Jimmy yes it is, as for mods I'll be doing the suspension probably go for a 40-50mm lift with rear airbags. I'm in no hurry to tow with it as the Cruiser will be used for the local trips and the Pajero for the big trips. Dual batteries is on on the list too along with driving lights.I will have to change the tregg off the Expanda to run a WDH also, so just looking at all options before that happens as I really like

hi Adam

The suspension improves the Pajero greatly IMO the other thing to consider is Keirons Bushskinz intercooler guard . I have the full set of his bash plates but the intercooler should be standard, the OEM one is very fragile and close to IC. Decent animal strike could take it out.

Why are you gong WDH ? I don't even really air up the air bags unless Iam really loaded, I think airbags are over rated, but dons "a big flame suit " I have not found the need for a WDH on the Pajero yet. I belted the old Expanda over the snow line road through Cabramurra and this current one over many different roads. You can see some shots of my rig hooked up on MySwag under the trips thread and that is with a full engle in the back, all recovery gear and a 2kva genset in the Pajero.

I fitted a reversing cam to the Expanda and have the wiring to break into the pajero sat nav but just ended up using a separate monitor.

Enjoy.

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks for your input Jimmy, this is the kind of info I am after. I thought with any ball weight over 140kg or thereabouts a WDH was requiered :confused: am I wrong?

As for airbags I was going this option to keep the rear end supple compared to H/D coils when on road, as the Pajero wont really have the Expanda on there much. I have done the same thing with the Cruiser too.

Yep Bushskinz is on the list too they seem a very popular mod.

What brand suspension did you choose?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for your input Jimmy, this is the kind of info I am after. I thought with any ball weight over 140kg or thereabouts a WDH was requiered :confused: am I wrong?

As for airbags I was going this option to keep the rear end supple compared to H/D coils when on road, as the Pajero wont really have the Expanda on there much. I have done the same thing with the Cruiser too.

Yep Bushskinz is on the list too they seem a very popular mod.

What brand suspension did you choose?

EFS which is kings, 40mm with progressive rate rears (150kg to GVM) the fronts have sagged and Iam going to put Lovells in but I have bar, which etc. the rears are awesome very supple and have worked out well.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
We also have a new Pajero and towing our 17-56-2. Very happy with fuel economy and power. We get an ave 16.6l/100k while we are towing our van. Can not complaint at that.....Love that car....

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
hey CD, do i sense a name change pending here 'paj driver'.congrats on new tug. cheers.
No mate the Pajero lives along side the Cruiser, and the Cruiser is here to stay :kiss:

We also have a new Pajero and towing our 17-56-2. Very happy with fuel economy and power. We get an ave 16.6l/100k while we are towing our van. Can not complaint at that.....Love that car....
Thats great to hear, thanks.

About time mate :rockon: well done, waiting to see the Panda hitched up behind
Thanks mate and thanks for your help along the way answering my million questions I have asked you :clap2: its very much appreciated.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi CD, I tow our 16' with a hayman Reese WDH and no mods to suspension and I tows well. I did however need to buy the longer adjustable hitch section to get my van level and then I cut off the bit below to give more ground clearance as it was pretty low. I could of packed up my hitch on A frame I suppose but then it may not suit your cruiser.

Where my hitch sits now I just have enough clearance to open back door, it doesn't clear the gas bottle on van but thats plenty anyway. Is your tow bar Mitshubishi?

Cheers.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi CD, I tow our 16' with a hayman Reese WDH and no mods to suspension and I tows well. I did however need to buy the longer adjustable hitch section to get my van level and then I cut off the bit below to give more ground clearance as it was pretty low. I could of packed up my hitch on A frame I suppose but then it may not suit your cruiser.

Where my hitch sits now I just have enough clearance to open back door, it doesn't clear the gas bottle on van but thats plenty anyway. Is your tow bar Mitshubishi?

Cheers.

Burnsy have you checked the bump stop rubbers on the Pajero? worth doing pretty sure bushman found his hammered and he ran standard springs with a WDH. there just isnt enough travel there to save them.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
CD although this shot shows the Vans legs down they are not jacking the van up, this is pretty much how mine sits normally towing. In the Paj is the Full Engle, recovery gear, Generator, 58litres of fuel in the auxillary and three kids totally about 150-170kg. its on progressive rate coils with around 20lb in the airbags.

Outback_NSW_2012 (17).jpg