16' Series Mirrors that suction to ur cars mirror??

Caledapho

Dec 27, 2012
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new extension mirrors that have a single suction cap onto the centre of your car's mirror?? (see link below)
They attach to the glass of your own mirrors, so they can be adjusted with your electrics, as the with your normal mirrors. And apparently, the aerodynamic shape of the casing stops them from vibrating!? If you believe the blurb :p Maybe with a Mini driving past...but a triple road train...hmmm?? lol
I have been thru quite a few different styles falling off my Prado, quite difficult to fit with the sloping angle shaped mirrors :-/
Im doing a 5 week road trip shortly, and I want to leave them on permanently. I dont like the ones that strap to your door, as the dust/moisture build up will scratch. I dont like expensive ones, cuz they tend to go walkabout.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Towin...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4184c0d0ba

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
There are several small plastic gears that move the mirror, I would say they wouldnt last to long with that hanging off of it. Price up new motors for your prados mirrors and see if it is worth the risk.

Caledapho

Dec 27, 2012
I dont think I would adjust the mirrors much, once they were set up, but thats a very good point ShaneT:)

Skippy, the Prado mirrors are tapered down to the outside, which makes most fittings slide off! They are not designed well, for a vehicle commonly used for towing!? :-/ Maybe I should try fitting some Colorado mirrors to my Prado, lol!

My van came with some truck style mirrors originally. But the Prado's plastic body panels made them very hard to fit, and gave the webbing gaps, not laying flat against the door. So the wind would catch it and vibrate like crazy, eventually loosening the straps. I was constantly stopping to adjust them!
Then I tried some cheapies...they lasted half a trip!
Then I lashed out and got some Oras. They lasted for a while, but still slipped off occasionally, the last time shattering one of the mirrors!
Ive been using a pair with suction cap support arms, but the suction is not very strong. They work really well until the suction cap pops off at any random time:p
Id love to find a pair that I didnt have to constantly check...got enough to think about when towing:p

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I have a set of the suctiion cup ones (somewhere) I did have the strap on type but they kept coming loose so I bit the bullet and bought a set of Brunsgaard mirrors, not cheap and not for everyone, I had the mirror glass replaced for plain mirror glass as my last driveway was up hill with a kink and only 10mm clearence each side, actually sold the house because of this, but i recon seeing behind is over rated anyway :behindsofa:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
we brought some Brunsgaard as well from looking on AURLO seems a few people getting them. Land Rover mirrors a pain we have a set of suction cup ones we brought as nothing else fitted when we where about to buy a secondhand van interstate. Sale fell through still sitting in boxes.. keeping as spares

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Personally I think you should spend the extra $75 and get the Milenco Aero 2. Mine are great. I've said it before, but the teardrop design is a no brainer, unlike other styles that are flat and purpose made to catch the wind. The movement with the Milenco's is more from the road vibration.
They may be slightly smaller then other brands but they do the job of seeing what's approaching from behind.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MILENCO-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cde04856

If you like I've got a 2014 Prado in the driveway that I can put them on and take some pics of showing how they fit. What year Prado do you have?

Last edited:

Caledapho

Dec 27, 2012
Thanks guys, I hadnt seen the Brunsgaard before, they look very different...might just work!?

BigSkiddy, unfortunately I have an older Prado (2008). Toyota improved the design with the newer ones, they're much more suitable for towing mirrors. I will be updating in a year or two, but until then...
The Milencos look quite good tho, less likely to slide :) Going to be on the road for 5 weeks, so I really want it to stay put :p

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
There are several small plastic gears that move the mirror, I would say they wouldnt last to long with that hanging off of it. Price up new motors for your prados mirrors and see if it is worth the risk.
I agree with Shane, they don't look real good to me. I wouldn't stick anything to the mirror glass IMHO.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
doesn't matter what mirrors you end up with, when the missus walks past the car and runs (and drops the shoulder thinking its you she's putting a hitup on) into them ALWAYS check them after because you look like a complete dill when you pass a B double and the mirror comes off, lucky we managed to retreive it and all it needed was a new glass ;)

Reactions: skippy and dagree

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new extension mirrors that have a single suction cap onto the centre of your car's mirror?? (see link below)
They attach to the glass of your own mirrors, so they can be adjusted with your electrics, as the with your normal mirrors. And apparently, the aerodynamic shape of the casing stops them from vibrating!? If you believe the blurb :p Maybe with a Mini driving past...but a triple road train...hmmm?? lol
I have been thru quite a few different styles falling off my Prado, quite difficult to fit with the sloping angle shaped mirrors :-/
Im doing a 5 week road trip shortly, and I want to leave them on permanently. I dont like the ones that strap to your door, as the dust/moisture build up will scratch. I dont like expensive ones, cuz they tend to go walkabout.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Towin...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4184c0d0ba
Considered the ClearView extending mirrors??

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I have the Milenco ones and they work great and there not expensive compared to the Clear Views.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/221...e&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107
Had the Milencos but had nothing but shivering images. Must admit they never fell off even with B triples passing.
Still frustrated by unclear shivering images.
Finally bit the bullet and had Clearviews installed, no shimmer, work with original actuators, great rear vision, but expensive I know, but IMHO worth it.
Marv

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
My thoughts are all towing mirrors are shite, just some are less shite than others. After Aussie truck, Ora Iam now onto $4.99 US Kmart clip ons, to comply with regs. The saftey Dave reverse camera does all the work.