Exterior Minimum operating tempatures for Gas/Diesel heaters

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Morning all,

Anyone know what the minimum outside operating tempatures are for either a Gas or Diesel heater?

Assuming here you can use Alpine fuel for Diesel. Does the Gas freeze up below a certain temp?

Thanks in advance.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Was reading the eberspatcher Manual on the weekend. Yes with additive it went well below freezing. Something crazy like -30 I’d be more concerned with running an anti algae additive for long spans of in activity.

The gas has less issue but there must be a point we’re the reg freezes!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your toes would fall off well before the gas freezes @Macca_75 , minus 188 deg C. The oil burner heaters go to minus 40c and with winter diesel should be good, though I have wondered with the fuel line being only a few mm's if the line's would choke, if winter had arrived I could have tested it but only used my heater twice while down south in the wild country of Vic.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Digging up an old thread, but the van is currently in getting a gas Truma Eco unit fitted.

I figure gas must run below 0 or there would be no fridge/stove for free campers.

From what I can gather as long as you use LPG with no Butane (so not gas for cars) you are fine. If your LGP contains Butane it won't run below about 3 degrees.

Many pro's an con's of Diesel vs heat - decided gas was the right choice for us. Fingers crossed it is as we will be free camping at (well near) Mt Kosciuszko in a few weeks.

Reactions: DRW and WHHEMI

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
Digging up an old thread, but the van is currently in getting a gas Truma Eco unit fitted.

I figure gas must run below 0 or there would be no fridge/stove for free campers.

From what I can gather as long as you use LPG with no Butane (so not gas for cars) you are fine. If your LGP contains Butane it won't run below about 3 degrees.

Many pro's an con's of Diesel vs heat - decided gas was the right choice for us. Fingers crossed it is as we will be free camping at (well near) Mt Kosciuszko in a few weeks.

We had the same heater fitted to our 22.68.2 OB a couple of months ago and it was great over the long weekend, had a diesel heater in our last van and would definatly go gas again if we had to choose.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
We had the same heater fitted to our 22.68.2 OB a couple of months ago and it was great over the long weekend, had a diesel heater in our last van and would definatly go gas again if we had to choose.
Not that I need to validate the decision now (it's already made) but it's pretty rare to have someone who has first hand experience with both. First hand experience, why would you choose gas over diesel?

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
Not that I need to validate the decision now (it's already made) but it's pretty rare to have someone who has first hand experience with both. First hand experience, why would you choose gas over diesel?
Heats up faster, cools down faster so better use of the batteries, more control over the heat you want, quieter both inside and out, no smelly fumes on the outside of the van, don't need to carry extra fuel as the van already had gas. The last van was a 17.55.8 OB Journey Poptop and the new van is a 22.68.2 OB Starcraft, while we where very happy with the Planar diesel heater in the Journey we feel the Truma Vario heat is a much better heater.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah I think if the Truma gas and diesel where the same price there’d be a lot less debate around the subject. Install location for me is the only pain with gas. I know others have taken issue with amount of gas they can use, never had that issue thou myself. What ever floats ones boat.

Reactions: WHHEMI

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Yeah I think if the Truma gas and diesel where the same price there’d be a lot less debate around the subject. Install location for me is the only pain with gas. I know others have taken issue with amount of gas they can use, never had that issue thou myself. What ever floats ones boat.
I was quoted the same price for a gas or diesel (diesel being eberspacher). Gas unit is slightly larger, but does not need to be mounted horizontal. Mine is being fitted under the fridge with 1 outlet being router to under the table, the other through the ensuite and into the "hallway" in front of the bunks.

Reactions: Smirke and G Daddy