Melbourne to Beerwah, Qld

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
we will be driving from Melbourne, Vic to Beerwah, Qld departing on Friday morning.

We had in mind to take about 9-10 days to travel up staying at free campings.

Here is our first attempt at a route.
Mount Waverley Melbourne
273km
Cobram / Barooga Camping Area
257km
Ardlethan Community Park
290km
Wanda Wandong Campground, Goobang National Park,
187km
Pumphouse Caravan and Camp Area, Binnaway
428km
Dumaresq River, Texas
320km
Anzac Memorial Park, Kilcoy
48km
Beerwah

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

I had a couple of questions regarding the road conditions, note that we have a standard Falcon and a on-road Penguin Camper Trailer.
I have a route using Google Maps and it has a habit of giving directions along quite poor tracks on occasions.

What is the road like between Dubbo - Mendooran - Binnaway? Is it sealed or unsealed?
What is the road like between Narrabri - Bingara - Warialda - Texas?
Google maps, street view from 2008 shows dirt road along the Narribri - Bingara section. Is it now all sealed road?

best wishes
Mike

Last edited:

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
My friend came through Narrabri to Bingara in Jan this year, only comment was hills and winding road. Bingara to Texas is all good except for rough 30km section before the turn onto the Texas-Goondiwindi road.

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Run along part of that route often as it's my main run to Canberra, the Dubbo to Binnaway road is very good, the section from Mendorran to Binnaway is rural tar but in good nick, Binnaway is a great little camp, The Narrabri to Bingara road is tarred but has some big hills, I usually run to Gunedah-Manilla-Warialda-Yetman-Texas road is good not busy like highway...........may be busy at Texas at this time of year, give the camp at Texas a miss if wet though.
Couple of ways to go from Texas to Kilcoy but run to Inglewood then can take the highway to Toowoomba or take the back roads which are in pretty good nick and just as quick with few trucks.

Most of these near highway free camps need to be arrived at by 1500 or they tend to pack out with Nomads.