Melbourne Show next week

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Okay, the 1 on empty ball was hard to see but if you take the ATM from the GTM it doesn't give much more and unless I'm mistaken ( which is possible ) that's how you get the max ball KGS.........I think !?!
our plate the GTM is ATM minus empty ball. So looks the same.

Looking up GTM seems correct if your Tow ball weight was higher and you under ATM be less on the axles.

Gross Trailer Mass (GTM)
The GTM is the maximum weight that the caravan wheels can collectively impose on the ground. In other words, the wheels’ share of the ATM figure (remembering that the ATM is the coupling download weight and the weight of the wheels imposed on the ground added together).

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
went to the show yesterday.
Didn't seem as busy as last year. One dealer said the numbers have been down every day on last year and that the Friday twilight idea was a huge flop. Just increased the cost of wages to all the exhibitors with nothing to show for it.

Had a look at the Jayco Airstream. What a wank! What really put me off was the way the exterior aluminium cladding was joined. Overlapped and rivetted with a bit of sealant between the overlap. This won't last for long and removing and replacing the hand rivets would be a nightmare. Much better ways to spend $84. And for that money, they couldn't even change the entry door to the passenger side. Side door has no vent on the bottom for gas leaks. I raised this gas compliance issue and was told the gas vented through the rear door (which is higher than floor level) and a hidden hole somewhere inside. Probably ok, but I am not convinced.

Looks like AlKo now have smaller drop-down jacks which are now fitted to the Touring Camper Trailers such as our Penguin. On the 2018 model, all four jacks were vertical on the level floor. Off to Bayswater Jayco tomorrow to see if I can have the longer ones fitted to our Penguin replace with the new shorter ones under warranty.

Couldn't see anything in the Jayco range that would convince me to ditch upgrade from the Penguin. They have release an adventurer version of the penguin in the grey/black/red colour scheme but the one on display was barely a prototype. The quick black overspray on some bits had already peeled off and they hadn't time to paint the roof. It was still the standard white! Main features were a full pull out external kitchen and a very large metal storage box on the drawbar.

In looking at things we might consider in the future, two took our interest.

Never considered the small Toyota Hi-Ace type campervans as they have all felt so claustrophobic for two people and we would want something where the bed would not have to be made up each day. Bingo, we saw something that was well worth keeping in mind from Trakka: The Trakkadu built on a VW transporter. Front seats swivel around to reach a removable table, and the rear seats can stay down and be a permanent bed. Still a bit pricey, entry at $91k. No gas, 2-way frideg, deisel stove, H/W comes from the engine.

Second was a larger option based on the Fiat Ducato van. In the past we never found a layout that suited and we did not like the complexity of a drop-down bed. Finally found a worthy contender in the Banksia from Horizon Motorhomes based in Balina. (Just over the way from Kimberley Kampers).
But at $121K it won't be coming to our driveway until we are both retired.

Disappointed that Kimberley Kampers did not attend the show.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: davemc and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sirocco fans
I can vouch for the Sirocco vans, even up in northern Oz in that heat. One Purchase youll never regret. We positioned ours so we can spin them around during the day and use them for the cabin, didnt use the aircon at all for our 5 weeks up on the nsw coast over the summer.

Reactions: skippy

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Well good day today ran into @Smergen in the jayco stand maybe hes missing them and dreaming of another ....
I didnt think too much of the new age vans too many extras needed that other vans have as standard .... we came across Blue Sky vans or Bellarine Caravans a geelong company they have a 21 foot family tourer that is prado friendly at 101 on the ball tare 1996 atm 2396
Not bad at all can come in 3 bunks this one had 2 .... full ensuite ... but would like semi off road at least will be going back there for a better look at there place in geelong ... 49 it was at the show
One van caught my eye but a closer look 120 grand no thanks
Didnt get any gazebo will look further into that
I did find the new alko pin coupling seems to be best on the market if one is needed by anyone i would realy look at thease ones ...300 odd bucks not bad at all i was thinking of byeing one of the other brands but now this would be only one i would bye check out vids on the testing sites
Brought 2 anodes couple of other small things lunch was the most expensive thing i brought
Also Seaflo water pumps seemed to very good at well under 100 bucks my jayco one seems not the best so may up grade to one of thease with a larger inlet hose
So thumbs up for alko hitch blue sky vans and sea flo pumps
Didnt see @davemc i was looking out for him
I hear jaycos inlet hose for the pump is too small thats why there so loud ??????

Attachments

• 20180225_174916.jpg
    20180225_174916.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 20180225_174927.jpg
    20180225_174927.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 20180225_171025.jpg
    20180225_171025.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 20180225_163520.jpg
    20180225_163520.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 20180225_134501.jpg
    20180225_134501.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 259
Reactions: Drover

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Bluey did not go today would of been nice to catch up with you and @Smergen
Yes seems a few Prado friendly bunk vans around now.. Did you check out the JB ones as well.
A lot more choices then we had a few years back.

I still have the DO35 which the ALKO seemed to of copied sitting in the room I talked to the guys in person at VC stand he said send me some pictures he come up with someway to fix it.. As if Jayco keeps moving the cross bar up and down they will have problems selling.. see what happens.

Reactions: Drover

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
@Bluey did not go today would of been nice to catch up with you and @Smergen
Yes seems a few Prado friendly bunk vans around now.. Did you check out the JB ones as well.
A lot more choices then we had a few years back.

I still have the DO35 which the ALKO seemed to of copied sitting in the room I talked to the guys in person at VC stand he said send me some pictures he come up with someway to fix it.. As if Jayco keeps moving the cross bar up and down they will have problems selling.. see what happens.
What you don’t realise alko make some products for VC.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well good day today ran into @Smergen in the jayco stand maybe hes missing them and dreaming of another .....

Ha ha... not on my current observation on todays vans. The build quality and materials at Jayco still advertised at a certain price point. I'm still not sure why no one at Jayco HQ hasn't realised the huge gap above the fly screen pull down on the big Basestation door. I did like the layout of the new Work N Play, quite different. Actually I was taken most by the JPod and the attachments it had. We are investigating having a smaller set up than the big van, but it is still a lot of coin for what is essentially a mattress in a box.

We loved our Jayco, but I doubt we'll buy a brand new one ever again.

I didnt think too much of the new age vans too many extras needed that other vans have as standard ....

Actually, I agree with you. The new New Age Road Owl left me uninspired. Designed to be entry point and get more people looking at NA, but I think it might have taken it a bit too far. Hardly anything included at all. It might be for some, but the need to option in an awning?? Pfft.

Was great seeing you and Mrs Bluey mate, along with the little tackers. Been too long, and we need to sort out a catch up soon enough. Maybe @17triton and I better get in touch with Hank at Lake Beaufort.

Reactions: 17triton

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
We went through so many vans and only really found 1 we like its the dreamseeker and the family semi off road which took 100x stronger and the finish was amazing and got a really good price now have to have a good think

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We went through so many vans and only really found 1 we like its the dreamseeker and the family semi off road which took 100x stronger and the finish was amazing and got a really good price now have to have a good think
Just looked at there web site couldnt really find any info bit strange no pics of any family vans or any vans how much did it weigh
Seems a small company ??????? Much home work to be done

Reactions: Tucker