Melb - Moruya NSW.

Ben Kelly

Apr 23, 2016
Riddells Creek, Victoria
Hi all, we are heading from Melbourne to Moruya (south of Batemans Bay) next week week and I am just looking at the 2 alternate routes to take. We will be towing our Expanda. The first option is to go up the Hume up to Yass then come down on the A25 then B52 through Nelligan and through Batemans Bay then onto Moruya.
Alternate route 2 sees us going through Dandenong, Bairnsdale and up through Eden etc.
Route 1 is quicker on Google Maps however, I have heard that it is very hilly through Nelligan and not recommended for caravans and it may actually take longer.
What is the better route to take? Should we go with route 1 or 2?
Cheers.

Attachments

• B55B6EB6-2A3E-4BE9-B212-B00C65D070CB.png
    B55B6EB6-2A3E-4BE9-B212-B00C65D070CB.png
    362.9 KB · Views: 230

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
We always go down through Braidwood, Nelligan and Batemans from Bathurst.
There is a very steep section down the Clyde Mountain although it is a good road with turnout bays, safety ramps and is only about 7km's.
Use low gear and only use your brakes periodically to slow your revs.
The road from Eden is not to bad either and a bit more picturesque. If you've got the extra hour to spare, I'd probably come up through Eden just to stay away from the people racing to Canberra and Sydney.
Are you staying at Dolphin Beach, River Breeze or out near the airport?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nothing wrong with the Kings Hwy from Braidwood to Batemens Bay for vans, have used it a few times and Clyde Mountain isn't all that bad but I would stay away at holiday times, traffic is horrendous along the way, it can take you 2 hrs to get onto the highway at Batemens Bay,..........................The Princess Hwy from Vic to Moruya is a windy and hilly route but a good road and some great views and interesting towns, at Xmas time traffic can be slow thru the towns.
I would go the Princess Hwy.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
We recently took our van down the Kings Hwy from Canberra into Batemans. It's a high quality road, but you'll want to make sure you're brakes are up to the job. It'd be a slog back up on the way home but nothing insurmountable.