Marv_Mart's Panda

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Hi all,
Thought I would start a thread of my own for our Panda
Have had it now since August 2013 with one major trip under our belt and another one coming up this July.
Will try to link my previously posted mods to this thread.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Toilet flushing itself!
Tomorrow is the first service for the Panda 14.44-5 Took this long to be able to get it booked in after our trip to Mornington Vic, in mid March.
Picked up the van from storage. When we got it home and opened it up, found the onSuite floor very wet!
Traced the water to the toilet bowl which was 'very full', near to overflowing. Must have sloshed over when bringing the Panda home. Opened the sluice and the water went into the cassette, cassette had about 5l of water so was not leaking/self flushing for very long, possibly just the 1 hour since pick up.
To flush the toilet, the battery switch must be on and the pump switch must also be on.
After last use (March) left the battery switch on so battery would charge from solar panel. Have since found out that this is not necessary.
May have left the pump switch on but how come the toilet 'flushed itself' either when in storage or when I connected the car and power when I picked it up today.
Anybody else had this experience? Solution?

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
First mod was the rubber corners to protect the solar panel ripping the cover.

image.jpg

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Second mod to shift spare wheel to the rear bumper with a bracket similar to this.

image.jpg
Will post actual fitting when I take a photo when I get the Panda back from its first service.
More on that when I get it back
Updated this post with the spare tyre bracket on the rear bumper.
Yep, if you see the 'Sea Dragon' on the road, give me a call on the CB.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Next mod (#4) is folding table to replace existing table.
We find the table as it is, cramps our movement especially when getting in and out of the seats. Only need large table when having a full dinner inside the van. Should be picking up the folding table made by Jayco for another model when I bring in my Panda for its service. Photos once I get it installed. Will have to make a small wooden base as the model it came from has the table mounted over the wheel cover, mine will not be.
Will also enable me to install 240v power point next to the table for recharging our toys.
Did not know until after I bought the van that these sort of things can be ordered when you buy the van!

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Next mod (#5) will be connecting the LED strip light and powering it up.
Light are attached to the awning roller but still need to get wires from there to the outside light for power.
Again, pics once I have solved the problem and got it working.
Currently thinking I will run the wires along the awning and then down to the outside light and plug it in via a jack.
Not sure yet but working on a solution. The seam along the edge of the awning is not large enough to thread a twin wire down the inside off the seam.
Will let you all know what I come up with.

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Just back from first Service. This was provided free by Adelaide branch of Australian Caravan Company.
Very friendly and helpful. Did the designated service items, all clear
Items fixed;
1. leaking left hand tyre. Rim had a hairline crack. New rim ordered, spare currently in use
2. slightly loose ceiling panel strip glued back
3. Control panel wiring fixed so rear tank shows up as rear on panel, front tank as front. Was the other way around
4. Self flushing toilet checked, found nothing. See previous post re the problem encountered. Any others had this happen?
5. Drawer front fixed with new closer
6. TV arm cover attached so it won't just 'fall off'
All fairly minor actually other than tyre leak
Very happy with van actually, have experienced none of the issues that others seem to have had.
Now covered over 4000 km with no real issues

Reactions: hamish22

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Will start on LED wiring and power tomorrow and post pics of what I came up with.
Tri-fold table has half arrived, got the cupboard that it sits on, actual table arriving Thursday or Friday.
Will post progress of that mod as I go along.
PS: slid plastic tubing over the chains used to secure JC's in their new brackets.
Actually slid is not the right word, had to pull chain thru the tube with much massaging of the tube and a blistered hand to prove it. Result works though!
Pic required for anybody interested?

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Mod #6 completed, mod #4 started.
The 150mm tube pole holder would just not squeeze behind JC holders. The gas line from the bottles to the van was an obstruction I couldn't overcome, darn. Ended up mounting behind the rear wheels as discussed in other threads.
Here is my solution. Used an angle bracket from Mitre 10 bolted to the chassis and then the tube bracket bolted to that with spring washers and Nyloc nut. Don't expect it to come off now

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Mod#4 completed.
Removed old table, modified and installed the small table.
Sorry about the quality of that photo, poor light and only had iPhone on hand
Added a 240V power point as there wasn't one on that side of the Panda
Attached the tri fold table.
Look'in good!
And another one bites the dust.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
Now for Mod #5, the Led Awning lights!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Mod #5 completed
Initially tried to run the power wire from the awning drum to the van roof along the awning seam but found that this made the awning roll up unevenly. I wander how they prevent this in the new models?
Must look at the next show.
Decided to run it loose and attach at the bottom and the top only, see photo for the result.
Small hole in the roof and then along the gas strut to the outside light. Had previously installed a power plug in the light housing and wired that through the wall to the cabinet above the sink, through a remote switch to the power that also supplies the outside light.
When the awning rolls up, the wire rolls up next to the awning.
I think the photos tell the story!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The wire unplugs and sits in behind the screen when the roof is lowered.
image.jpg image.jpg
The remote unit and the controller allows me to turn the LED lights off and on.
The power comes from the outside light, this must be turned on to power the LED strip.
The remote unit and control box.
image.jpg image.jpg
All finished and working! Will take a night photo when we next take the Panda for a ride on June long WE
Because I unplug the cable when I lower the roof, there is no chance of accidentally leaving them on with the awning rolled up. Not sure what if any damage may occur if I did that.
image.jpg
That's it for mods for now, will test them all out on our next trip.

Last edited: