Just Browsing Marv_mart Trip to Qld-NSW 2017

Frog

May 13, 2017
Kuttabul
Balranald to Adelaide.
Trip: 532km
Fuel: Hay to Ouyen: 284km @ 17.5l/100km, 133.9¢/L
Ouyen to Adelaide: 377km @ 15.0l/100km, 124¢/L
Not a lot to report for this last leg. The bridge work at Tooleybuc has finished, still a narrow crossing.
View attachment 55981 View attachment 55982
The bad weather forecast for the 13th July turned out to be much better than we expected, winds 15-25kph and patches of rain, no huge downpours or hail as was originally expected.

Summary of the trip:
Left home on 24/6/2017 and arrived back on 13/7/2017. We had to fit our trip in between a number of other engagements we had just before we left and the day after we got back so 20 days in all. A quick trip by most other standards but it was the only way we could fit this trip in. Our next trip is planned for 3 weeks in Oct-Nov.
Days: 20
Diet: 6043 km @ 15.7L/100km(avg)
Fuel: 938L @ 128.8¢/L(avg) Total: $1140
Accommodation: $703 ($32.78 avg/day)
Food: $988 (coffees, meals, snacks, groceries)
We did bring 12 main meals along with us. Had very little vegs/fruit that we had to dispose of at the Vic border.
BTC= 378 (You w ill have to look at previous travelogues to work that one out. I will tell you if you beg. lol)[/QU

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I made up a Google Maps track of our trip, will post it up later today and add it to the trip summary.
I forgot to include that on the leg between Forbes and Hay while driving on the Mid Western Hwy, we came across a rather lge road kill on the other side of the road with another car towing a van approaching. I slowed down expecting them to do likewise so that we could share the road to avoid the obstacle. Rather than slowing down, the other moronic driver, just veered off the road at what seemed like 90+kph onto the gravel shoulder, spewing up stones and dirt, nearly lost control of their rig and sent a rock into our windscreen. Screen didn't crack thankfully but a 1cm crater chunk of glass divot later....... Stuck tape over it to keep out moisture and dust so hopefully will be able to get a windscreen repair done. Was just above my line of sight so didn't impede my view.
Very lucky
Any suggestions on who best to go to for repairs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I made up a Google Maps track of our trip, will post it up later today and add it to the trip summary.
I forgot to include that on the leg between Forbes and Hay while driving on the Mid Western Hwy, we came across a rather lge road kill on the other side of the road with another car towing a van approaching. I slowed down expecting them to do likewise so that we could share the road to avoid the obstacle. Rather than slowing down, the other moronic driver, just veered off the road at what seemed like 90+kph onto the gravel shoulder, spewing up stones and dirt, nearly lost control of their rig and sent a rock into our windscreen. Screen didn't crack thankfully but a 1cm crater chunk of glass divot later....... Stuck tape over it to keep out moisture and dust so hopefully will be able to get a windscreen repair done. Was just above my line of sight so didn't impede my view.
Very lucky

It is a shame there are idiots like this on the road! they let all the good drivers and owners down!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
RAA are doing the repair this pm, all within my vehicle insurance cover. Well done RAA!
Update: RAA guy said because the chip was in a designated area in front of the driver, the whole windshield will have to be replaced. He also found a number of other small chips in the same area, all probably made when that maniac left the road trying to avoid the large roo throwing up a hail of stones. They will replace, at my home, all within the insurance policy.

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Ok, here is the map of our most recent trip. I only labelled the overnight stops.
Snagit1.jpg

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Great read! Really good insight into costs involved with a holiday like this as well. Something we've not done with our van yet.... something about sitting in a car for 4-5 hours with bored kids - it just doesn't appeal yet!!

Reactions: Marv_mart

Frog

May 13, 2017
Kuttabul
Very lucky
In NQ I find I'm up for a new windscreen every twelve months