Australia
I agree with the above stayed there one night would rather camp in a servo
A night of my life i will never get back compleate waist of time and money
0 stars out of 5

Reactions: mikerezny

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
There are 2 parks in Maitland, unfortunately the coach stop is the better of the 2.

Sorry I couldn’t drop by and say G’day while you were at Belmont though @Bushman

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
was that you i spotted Friday morning Bushy, leaving town as i was making my way to one of the coldest places around (Tahmoor Sports Ground)?

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
If you are looking for a nice place in the Hunter Valley, I can strongly recommend the free camp in the lovely little village of Bulga. Large grassy area with small amenities block. It is off the main road (top end of Putty Road) behind the tennis courts across the road from church and cemetery. It is very quiet, tons of space and nice outlook.

PS Bulga village is under threat from large nearby foreign owned non tax paying coal mine.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Not under threat at all, just you will be able to see the mine from town. The mine does pay tax and pours money into the local community, most of the Bulga community have or do work at said mine.

The mine is visible from Bulga now and is moving closer.

The mine owner is Yancol which is Chinese owned and pay virtually no tax in Australia, they run at a fake loss and yet have enough money to buy $2.5B worth of Rio Tinto coal mines in Australia. Yancol use their fake loss to not pay tax. Yancol also ship uncovered coal trains through Newcastle to the port and cause many serious health issues for people who live along the rail line.

http://www.yancoal.com.au/page/assets/mine-sites/mount-thorley-warkworth/

You are wrong about Bulga not under threat from the a tax avoiding foreign (Chinese) owned mine, the locals have run a campaign to #savebulga for several years.

Have a read of the Bluga declaration and then have a good look at their web site.

https://www.savebulga.org.au/bulga-declaration/

The mine has recently closed the Wakeworth Road and has moved closer to the town in the last year. The mine wants to demolish the town and destroy the local cemetery so it can expand. I have ancestors (Eather family) buried in that cemetery, who were among the first white settlers in the Hunter Region and find the mines disregard for the locals and history about what one would expect from destructive open cut coal miners.

https://www.savebulga.org.au/yancoal-stakeholder-update/

The people of Bulga have twice won court cases against the mine expanding, the NSW Gov changed the law twice in favour of the foreign owned mine and once again the town is under threat. A few people in Bulga area do work in the mine, but most residents would like to keep their homes and farms.

Coal mining is destroying Australian farms and homes in one of the most productive agricultural areas of Australia.The mines in the Hunter do not have to level the waste (spoil) piles and fill holes (voids) they make. The open cut mines are already destroying the water table in the Hunter. Once they stop coal mining and the voids will fill and become toxic acidic lakes which will almost certainly end agriculture along the Hunter River. Coal mining is very short term, for a few temporary jobs we loose a beautiful productive well watered agricultural area that could provide food and jobs for many more centuries.

The beautiful Hunter Valley has just under 200 years of farming and jobs, which soon may stop because of open cut coal mines. There is no future in coal these big companies will just sell up and move away and leave the mess for Australian taxpayers to fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluey

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Agree this forum is not the best place, happy to move on.

The people of Bulga do us all a good deed by providing an excellent free camp and if we use it we should be sympathetic to their plight and aware of their problems, or not use it. One of the best things I like about caravan travel is meeting locals and getting a feel for the community. Bulga is a nice little town.

PS Yes, you are correct there are many other miners shipping coal around Australia on railways (and trucks) without covering the load and protecting people from the nasty (and carcinogenic) coal dust. Coal mine owners are not even good at protecting their own workers from "Black Lung" and other mining occupational (mainly lung) diseases. Yancol and the previous mine owner (Rio Tinto) have fought all efforts by communities in Newcastle to get the miners to cover the coal they transport in trains to the port.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks @crackacoldie and @yabbietol for agreeing to disagree but agreeing that this forum is not the place to argue the for and against of any industry. I get a real good feeling when our members can have very differing views on a subject, coming from two different sides of the industry, but still treat each other with respect and return the discussion to forum topics. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: