Starcraft Mains water inlet non-return valve on 17.58.3

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I guess it wouldn't be hard to fit a NRV in the poly lines to the tank...

Something like this from BCF ... $20.

126902.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Just reactivating this thread, I have set up my inlet system as per @Crusty181 and it has worked fine. But while we were away I was on mains water at a site and found my rear tank was filled up and overflowing through the breather. The tank selector was set to the rear so I doubt the problem was tank selective. It would appear I have a non functioning Non Return Valve but I am unsure (read, I haven't a clue) where to find the NRV. Tracing the Jayco water lines is like trying to pick winning Lotto numbers but my best guess is the one in the picture.
DSC_5051 1.jpg

Excuse the lousy pic as I was hanging upside down under my bed to take it. The valve appears to match the valve shown from Coast to Coast here.
Is this what I need to change?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just reactivating this thread, I have set up my inlet system as per @Crusty181 and it has worked fine. But while we were away I was on mains water at a site and found my rear tank was filled up and overflowing through the breather. The tank selector was set to the rear so I doubt the problem was tank selective. It would appear I have a non functioning Non Return Valve but I am unsure (read, I haven't a clue) where to find the NRV. Tracing the Jayco water lines is like trying to pick winning Lotto numbers but my best guess is the one in the picture.
View attachment 57104
Excuse the lousy pic as I was hanging upside down under my bed to take it. The valve appears to match the valve shown from Coast to Coast here.
Is this what I need to change?
You have an extraordinary amount of JG corner connectors, and from the very crappy pic it appears to end up almost exactly where it started.

I don't have one of the those brass doo-dahs with the black knob either

I had the same issue from new, with the tanks back filling internally; the mains pressure forcing its way back through the 12v pump. I asked the dealer to install an in-line NRV, and they said there was a NRV "in the pump" which just needed to be adjusted. I can only assume they tinkered with the pump because the back filling stopped and there was certainly no extra in-line NRV I found installed anywhere.

That was all going on when we were in Main Beach back in 2014, the first time you denied ever seeing me.

Our back fill issue hasnt happened again since.

PS Im about to relocated the mains pressure connector to the outside of the van, on the upstand for the spare wheel mount on the rear bumper. Not fussed with the factory mains pipework go through the wall, only to then go out though the floor anyway. The back of the van is (generally) closest to any tap anyway and in the middle at the back seems like the perfect spot. My only issue I suspect would be dust, but Ill leave a dummy hose clip-on attached when we're mobile

Reactions: chartrock

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I managed to take a better picture today but I discovered other problems.
DSC_5061.JPG

I looked up the manufacturers sheet and here is part of the info. It is a Shurflo 4009-101-A87 and full instructions here.

INSTALLATION GUIDELINES OVERVIEW
Mount on a solid surface within 1.8 meters (6 feet) of tank
Minimize flow restrictions in the system
Minimize plumbing elbows and valves

Connect flexible hose on inlet and outlet
Affix strainer on pump inlet

Properly sized plumbing
No accumulator needed
Properly sized wiring
Proper electrical protection
Accessible location for occasional strainer cleaning and maintenance

The items in red are where Jayco has not followed installation instructions thereby voiding any warranty I may have had with the pump. There is no filter, there are no flexible pipes on the inlet and outlet, there are 8 elbows and tee junctions just on the pump and the only adjustment to be made is on the end facing the wall where you can't see or access it.

I think I will be reversing the pump, fitting flexible pipes plus a filter. Then I may be able to adjust the pressure as per the operation sheet.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep that certainly looks like the one Paul, your set up is why I moved my pump in the 14 under the floor, I removed 19 possible leak points and got rid of about 10 joiners, vastly improved flow and noise levels.....

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
IMG_1087[1].JPG
Hi @chartrock , that photo looks the same crappy setup as mine (2008 Discovery), I found a suction filter fitted underneath the van, very poor quality so replaced with a proper suction line filter that is is easy to maintain. photo att

Last edited:
Reactions: chartrock

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I managed to take a better picture today but I discovered other problems.
View attachment 57148
I looked up the manufacturers sheet and here is part of the info. It is a Shurflo 4009-101-A87 and full instructions here.

INSTALLATION GUIDELINES OVERVIEW
Mount on a solid surface within 1.8 meters (6 feet) of tank
Minimize flow restrictions in the system
Minimize plumbing elbows and valves
Connect flexible hose on inlet and outlet
Affix strainer on pump inlet

Properly sized plumbing
No accumulator needed
Properly sized wiring
Proper electrical protection
Accessible location for occasional strainer cleaning and maintenance

The items in red are where Jayco has not followed installation instructions thereby voiding any warranty I may have had with the pump. There is no filter, there are no flexible pipes on the inlet and outlet, there are 8 elbows and tee junctions just on the pump and the only adjustment to be made is on the end facing the wall where you can't see or access it.

I think I will be reversing the pump, fitting flexible pipes plus a filter. Then I may be able to adjust the pressure as per the operation sheet.
I think you missed a significant spec in that manual link;

Plumbing must have a minimum Inner Diameter of 13mm [1/2”]. Smaller ID plumbing will cause cavitation, high backpressure, low flow and noise.

John Guest air fittings Jayco use are 12mm external

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I think you missed a significant spec in that manual link;

Plumbing must have a minimum Inner Diameter of 13mm [1/2”]. Smaller ID plumbing will cause cavitation, high backpressure, low flow and noise.

John Guest air fittings Jayco use are 12mm external
I wasn't sure of the fitted size but you're right.