mahindra xuv500

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
have just found this tow vehicle a mahindra xuv 500 and was wondering if anyone has one or knows much about them .apparently they are made in india and use the ssang yong motor . have read the reviews and they sound quite impressive. priced new at around $30,000 - $33,000 depending on if you want front wheel drive or all wheel drive. they tow 2500 kg and use 6.7litres / 100 kms . any thoughts or reviews appreciated.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It has a 4 star crash rating. I always look at that stuff before I see what it can tow. Leg protection is poor.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Take my comments with a grain of salt given I work for a manufacturer, but STAY CLEAR".
Both Chinese and Indian companies do not follow established durability, safety, and design protocols that established manufacturers have done for decades.
Material specs are ignored in favour of low cost, and service part continuity will always be sacrificed.
Pay a little more upfront, and you will save it back in repairs and resale.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I reckon give them a few years. They are too young to produce any quality. Hyundai was the same when it first brought out the excel way back in the early 90s. Utter utter junk, but a few years later the next generations were better, and now brilliant cars.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I reckon give them a few years. They are too young to produce any quality. Hyundai was the same when it first brought out the excel way back in the early 90s. Utter utter junk, but a few years later the next generations were better, and now brilliant cars.
spot on SD, but "brilliant" is a little bit of a stretch. Costs of coarse increase as the cars get better. Hyundai is now manufacturing in India to keep costs down!
( when I mention Indian and Chinese manufactures above, I refer to Indian or Chinese owned)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I remember the early excels when I was window tinting them, you only had to look at the door trim and something would break.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I remember the early excels when I was window tinting them, you only had to look at the door trim and something would break.

Amazingly you still see the odd one driving around. I'm guessing they were popular around 1995? That's nearly 20 years ago isn't it?

Edit:
Here we go, Wiki reckons the one I'm thinking of is 1994-2000. It's the Excel *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*

The earlier model (pre 1994) is the really dodgy Excel.