Interior LPG gas detector review

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
For those interested I thought I would put up a short review of a recent ebay purchase. An LPG detector/ alarm is a lot cheaper on ebay but the quality can vary but I decided to risk $10 to find out what I could get.
20160604_132434.jpg

I have a electronics background so immediately took it apart to find out what detector was being used
20160604_132357.jpg

Looks to me like a mq-5 detector but there is no part number obvious. The user guide states the detector is for lpg and natural gas which also suggests the mq-5. For those who don't know, the mq series of detectors are the real deal
20160604_132335.jpg

The underside of the board has way more than I expected - most basic mq circuits don't need much to make them work but there are a few things to control such as the relay, status lights and buzzer
20160604_132503.jpg

The instructions are typical Chinese translation quality but you only need to know where to intall and which wires to connect

I set this up on my workbench and the standby consumption is about .1A which I assume is all going to the heater in the detector. You can feel some warmth if you touch the case near the bottom.
I also used some butane gas to waft around the detector and the alarm sounded (it is not a good idea to blow too much gas on mq's because it affects long term performance) but I don't have anything more scientific to check what levels it operates at.

Well that's it for now. I will update this if I find anything else

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Better than $65 I spent.....................I wonder if we open ours up take pics and post them up we could probably find which big name brand board you have.......................