18' Series Losing a Window in Transit

andrewghamilton

Jun 6, 2015
Perth
We made a discovery today on the way home from Dongara as we watched our Expanda (18 57 6) window fly away from us in the rear view mirror.

We hadn't locked the windows closed and it came open just a little. I didn't think it would be an issue but next thing we knew it had popped out and was cartwheeling back up Indian Ocean drive.

The good news is that it didn't hit anyone - and when we picked it up there was minimal damage. It seems the wind had broken the pop rivets and slid it out of the top hinge.

We slid it back in, locked it in place and duct taped it up for good measure.

I hadn't realised how important it was to lock them shut - so I share this because I'm guessing I'm not the only one who may get caught out one day.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
oh no................ I was halfway back from the group meet at Lake Navarino, sister called up on radio - "um, half your roof is trying to lift up"

and once just as we set off for a trip..............lucky I saw the loose clips at the end of the road, and stopped

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Done that as well...left the clips undone.

I will say the roof lifts gradually from the front. I know as I watched it do that in the mirrors before I found a place to stop. It also wobbles a bit as if it's not sure whether to stay up or not.

Losing a window could be a bit disconcerting though. Hope you get it in again ok.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We made a discovery today on the way home from Dongara as we watched our Expanda (18 57 6) window fly away from us in the rear view mirror.

We hadn't locked the windows closed and it came open just a little. I didn't think it would be an issue but next thing we knew it had popped out and was cartwheeling back up Indian Ocean drive.

The good news is that it didn't hit anyone - and when we picked it up there was minimal damage. It seems the wind had broken the pop rivets and slid it out of the top hinge.

We slid it back in, locked it in place and duct taped it up for good measure.

I hadn't realised how important it was to lock them shut - so I share this because I'm guessing I'm not the only one who may get caught out one day.
Just added that to the check list on my other thread along with closing and locking the roof vents!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
oh no................ I was halfway back from the group meet at Lake Navarino, sister called up on radio - "um, half your roof is trying to lift up"

and once just as we set off for a trip..............lucky I saw the loose clips at the end of the road, and stopped
Yep, left one not secure once on way back from Swan Hill trip. Truckie behind called me on CB and gave me room to slow down and stop. Always give truckies a hand to pass, slowing down when they start to 'come around'.
Love ch 40 when on the road.