14' Series Loose tap

luke29ermtb

Feb 15, 2014
The water mixer tap on our 14.4 keeps coming loose. The only way I can see to tighten it properly is take the sink out completely as there is no room to get a spanner on it with the sink in place. Has anyone had any experience they can share on tightening taps, sink removal and sink replacement?

Reactions: skippy

luke29ermtb

Feb 15, 2014
Just tightened mine up after applying Loctite. I'm not convinced it is going to stay tight as the plate underneath that the nut tightens onto was bent. I straightened it a little and put it back in upside down but I'm betting it will bend again with use of the tap. I suspect the long term fix is to make up a stronger plate.

@Flanders wish I'd thought of a Nylock nut. The simple things...

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Mine also came loose a while back and I too contenplated pulling out the sink, them after removeing the first retaining clip decided it to was a near impossible task to get the rear clips out let alone back in again, the one I did remove was a right mongrel to get back in. I managed to get enough grip on the tap nut with an open end spanner to nip it up enough, then had Jayco do it properly when it went back for other work.

didn't think of tap spanners at the time :doh:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If using loctite I hope you're not using "high strength"???? Just incase you need to remove the tap at a later stage!

TheEddies

Nov 28, 2015
The Gap Brisbane
Hi Campers. I have the same problem with the tap on my 14.4 and had Jayco Brisbane fix it. Drove up to Townsville and it was loose again. What size tube spanner do I need.

rags

I'm a plumber and have the tube spanner but when I replaced my tap with a more suitable tap, I just pulled the sink out. Biggest problem is the door opening is too narrow to get two arms in to work and the drawers next to the sink again are a pain as the cupboard fronts have the dividing rail at each draw limiting access.
However if just tightening then I would try the tube spanner 1st,

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

rags

The backnut size can vary from brand to brand, but I'm guessing maybe 12mm. The tube set will have a different size on each end and can contain around 3 different tubes in the kit. Aldi had them in their specials recently for about $5, you may find some stores may have some on the "leftovers table".

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'm a plumber and have the tube spanner but when I replaced my tap with a more suitable tap, I just pulled the sink out. Biggest problem is the door opening is too narrow to get two arms in to work and the drawers next to the sink again are a pain as the cupboard fronts have the dividing rail at each draw limiting access.
However if just tightening then I would try the tube spanner 1st,
Im cabinet maker and there's always that demarcation line as who's job it is to install the sink >:(. For the record the sinks for water, so its yours. Anyways, now that's officially cleared up, some new taps have threaded "collars", that have replaced those stupid half moon tap plates. They seat 360deg around the tap hole ... no idiotic plates to bend. For the sake of $50, replace the tap

Reactions: G Daddy

rags

Im cabinet maker and there's always that demarcation line as who's job it is to install the sink >:(. For the record the sinks for water, so its yours. Anyways, now that's officially cleared up, some new taps have threaded "collars", that have replaced those stupid half moon tap plates. They seat 360deg around the tap hole ... no idiotic plates to bend. For the sake of $50, replace the tap

Crusty, I couldnt agree more, a Mondella Cadenza mixer from Bunnings for $69 comes with a plastic back collar that you can do up by hand. https://www.bunnings.com.au/mondella-chrome-cadenza-kitchen-sink-mixer-with-fixing-items_p5003222
As to fitting the sink, I'm happy to fit if you cut the hole, much easier to install tap that way.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Reactions: skippy