Looking for recommendations on great family van

dadmum+3kids

Nov 1, 2010
Hi
We currently have a permanent onsite van in a park but have been thinking about the flexibility a towing van would give us.

We have just started looking at some 2nd hand expanda vans we have 3 small children all under 6 so looking for something that will suit us now and as the kids get older. We have looked at the 16.49-2 mostly through private sales we are heading off to a dealer on the weekend. So looking for some tips and recommendations for a novice family :confused:. What do you think are necessities and what are things that sales guys may try to throw at us but not really worth it? Would you buy 2nd hand or brand new? SOrry last one whats the difference in pricing??

Thanks
Dadmum+3kids

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday Dadmum+3kids, we bought the 16.49.2 in December last year and sold it after 5 months to change over to the 17.56.2.

We where initially going to buy an onsite van at Ocean Beach Holiday Park at Umina but when we decided to proceed last year they stopped selling the onsite vans due to the redevelopment of the park etc. So we ended up going with a 16.49.2 outback expanda and couldn't be happier.

While the 16.49.2 was a great van the layout when camping was not right for us. We found with two kids on the bunks it was hard to move around when cooking cleaning etc and after a month long holiday we decided to find a better layout for the family.

With the 17.56.2 you have the flexibility of everything in close proximity but just that little bit more room for the kids to be separated to some degree.

This was our main reason for changing over, obviously the 17.56.2. has a shower toilet as well but this for us was just a bonus as we wanted a bit more separation of bunks, kitchen, tables etc. The best thing about the 17.56.2 is we know have how two tables one for the adults and one for the kids.

You can see some pictures of the two different vans here.

17.56.2 -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/32-New-17.56.2-Jayco-Expanda-Outback

16.49.2 Outback -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/entry.php/1-Its-Here-Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/album.php?albumid=7

In terms of extras its hard to say, do you plan on being self sufficient and free camping? Do you go off road a bit? What type of car are you towing with?

These questions will help answer the question of which accessories are good and bad.

We have another post here on the 17.56.2 of which options to add which applies exactly the same to the 16.49.2 if you go that path,

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/40-17.56.2-Which-Upgrade-Options-To-Add

In terms of new vs second hand it really depends on the wallet. I have seen some second hand vans going for pretty much close to new price if not even with new price. I personally would prefer new as you get to choose the fabric colours, layout of electrical items etc so it much more personalized but some others prefer to buy second hand with all the extras from previous owners.

Where abouts are you and which dealer are you going to see?

dadmum+3kids

Nov 1, 2010
Hmmm thats interesting about the space we definitely do not want to feel too cramped! With 3 young children it could get a bit much on a rainy day i guess.
We will be completely new to this but yeah a little bit of off road would be ok we have been in a park with our onsite van now for so long, we will be towing with a pajero. Thanks for the links I will go check them out. We are in the Hunter so will probably use Jayco Newcastle Jayco sydney has neither van onsite at the moment for us to look at. As for price this was our view alot of the 07,08,09 models are asking almost new price or no more than $5k less so thought maybe New was the better option.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Ah a Pajero, I have a Diesel NM you should be able to tow either the 17 or 16 with that.

You are right for the price new vs second hand does not get you much, we sold our one 5 months old and lost virtually nothing but for the buyer it was a win as he did not have to wait 4 or 5 months for a new one.

In terms of your extras I would be looking at an Outback vs the standard for height clearance, aircon for the barmy nights, larger fridge for the larger family, aerial / tv points for the kids, gas bayonets on the outside of the van to direct connect the BBQ into the vans gas bottles, hot water system a must for larger family's with more dishes etc and a stereo with speakers in and out. But that's me I like to go overboard :)

If you intend on getting of the beaten track then two water tanks, external shower, battery pack and shade covers etc.

I bought my two vans from Jayco Sydney they have been very good to us but either one should be good!

Let us know how you go with it!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Folks,
While I can't comment on the advantages of the 2 vans you are discussing I can put my 2 bobs worth in on Jayco Newcastle. We are purchasing a new 14-44-3 from them and I am driving down from the Gold Coast tomorrow to pick it up on Thursday. We obtained quotes from Brisbane, Gold Coast, Coffs Harbour, Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne, and even Adelaide. Jayco Newcastle offered the best price, added a few extras we asked for as freebies and have been very helpful and I have not yet set foot in their yard. I can let you know by the weekend how they perform on pickup but I can thoroughly recommend them for assistance for new vans. Ask for Karen, she has done everything we have asked and Sarah in the office is also great.
Good luck with whatever you decide and get out and enjoy this great country.
Paul

dadmum+3kids

Nov 1, 2010
Hi well an update from us is that we bought a 17.56.2 from Jayco Newcastle today it arrives next week and once its been through all the checks we will pick up at end of Nov. Now we just need to sell our onsite van and find somewhere to go at xmas looking for a beachfront park but most are pretty booked out!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Fantastic news congratulations!

That's quick delivery are you picking it of a run or is it one they have on order?

When you get a tick let us no if its outback or not and what extras you ended up getting would be interesting to see how you chose!

Congrats again can't wait to see some picks of the new pride and joy :)!

dadmum+3kids

Nov 1, 2010
Well we were just looking not thinking about buying and low & behold two hours later (yes we were there that long) we had signed and purchased the van. Its not the outback model as the wait on that was over 6mths but we have been told that the outback pack can be fitted afterwards if we find we need it. The dealership had the van on order with the following extras 150l fridge, heron 2.2 cabinet air con, 100amp battery, 22l hot water service, roll out awning, bag flies & privacy screens. We added the winegaurd aerial and pwer booster tv connections & front innerspring mattress. Totally forgot about the gas connections for the bbq so will be puttinga call in to see if there is a possibility to add this or not. so we will see how we go I think the deciding factor for us was how well they keep their resale value.

Looking forward to taking it out for a weekend when we get it.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Congrats again she sounds very well kitted out!

If you can get the BBQ outlets make sure they put them on if you like using the BBQ it will save you a world of trouble :) dragging a bottle around!

Lucky they had one coming up the 6 months wait sounds crazy. We waited for 5 months for ours from order to delivery!

What is the power booster thing for the tv outlets? We have been getting shocking reception in our outlets this sounds like something we might need?

Now the waiting game! :)

dadmum+3kids

Nov 1, 2010
Yes very lucky they had one!! The power booster is for better tv reception the dealer said it really was an essential!

Yep just gotta wait now but very glad its only a couple of weeks and not months :)

dadmum+3kids

Nov 1, 2010
Well we went down to check out the van last week its still in line waiting for its detailing and mechanical check but we wanted to have a quick look which we are happy we did we found a large dent in the rear right next to the brake light so will be keeping our eye on that and how it is fixed hopefully it won't be noticeably to the eye!!! It looks as though our annexe may not arrive in time but I am hoping we can survive without it as long as it doesn't rain. We have booked into Umina Beach Park for 10 days over xmas and after xmas we will start to explore this vast country and as we become more confident with caravanning I am sure will find some great places. Anyone got any tips or things we should look out for during the delivery hand over or anything extra we might need on our maiden voyage??

ps the onsite van is now on the market and hoping to sell soon!!