LOCKED OUT OF CARAVAN!!!

DDCOY

Feb 4, 2018
Western Australia
Hi my names Chris in a bit of a predicament, I opened the van up to allow some fresh air through, yesterday when I went o close it all up the CAMEC!! Barrel in the door lock came out when I try to replace it it's not locking in or turning been messing around with it for an hour now, does anyone have a number for a repairer on call in the Mandurah area? WA, Much appreciated

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
not too sure near Mandurah, but I have used PDA in Maddington before, and some others have recommended either of the 2 in Wangara

I had the lock come out once
but
I was lucky, it went straight back in and was ok, so not too sure on what to suggest apart from gently keep trying to get it to go in, and hopefully it sits in the right way

sorry

let us know how you get on, always good to know of a solution to a problem

thanks

Reactions: DDCOY

DDCOY

Feb 4, 2018
Western Australia
not too sure near Mandurah, but I have used PDA in Maddington before, and some others have recommended either of the 2 in Wangara

but
I was lucky, it went straight back in and was ok, so not too sure on what to suggest apart from gently keep trying to get it to go in, and hopefully it sits in the right way

sorry

thanks

No worries I will do thanks very much for the response, I've been intouch with a mobile repairer down Mandurah Caravan King, but first thing this morning I'll be on the phone to traveller caravans midland as this will be a warranty job,
I have had experience with barrel locks whilst working as a panel beater years ago, but this beat me still no luck getting in yesterday so I'll let you know the outcome, but caravan king is a name and number to write down covering Mandurah and surrounding areas if you ever need some one.
Thanks Chris.

Reactions: bigcol

DDCOY

Feb 4, 2018
Western Australia
Well just to put you guys in the picture after a few phone calls yesterday backwards and forwards to traveller caravans in Melbourne (who never got back to me as they said they would) but after speaking to traveller caravans in perth, jakeasked me to source someone out and call him back with a price to do the job which I did, there's a guy in Mandurah (Corey) he's at caravan king who has a callout service, I've arranged a time for today when I finish work for them to come anddothe job, I'll let you know how it goes thanks,

DDCOY

Feb 4, 2018
Western Australia
hey guys thanks very much for all your help and input, thanks mikerenzy for the you tube vids, i had seen them but i couldn't get to that stage because i couldn't open the door :-(
anyway all this happened last SATURDAY, it wasn't until Wednesday when i managed to get approval from traveler to get the job done on warranty, i refused to have the barrel put back in and asked them to replace the whole handle on warranty because who"s to know if it happened again but next time in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception, so ken the repairer agreed and replaced the lot for me. so alls good now and again thank you for your help,
p/s
Caravan King in Mandurah WA were who i used they have a call out service and very friendly.

DDCOY

Feb 4, 2018
Western Australia

but

sorry

thanks
col,
problem solved as mentioned below, but if ever it happened and you couldn't get the barrel back in to stay, look down where the barrel goes there's a flat plate at the end of the barrel tube with a square in it place a flat bladed screwdriver in there and turn allowing you to open the door.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I said similar in a post to you but it isn't there, my stupid phone sometimes doesn't play the game, damn thing...........................What I said was to look at the bottom of the key barrel if has a flat lug there should be a corresponding slot at the bottom which you can turn with a screwdriver, sometimes it may be a square slot either way it will turn with something to open and the barrell usually has a cam slot along the side which will slide back into the holder but will need a push or pull sort of thing to lock in place, some have pins sticking out which need to be pushed in as the lock is pushed back in then when in the correct position these pins will pop out and lock the thing in place, can be a big pain.........I've had a few locks come out with the key, most annoying, not a great lock anyway as a strong steady bit of force, like wrong key in lock will open them.

Reactions: DDCOY

DDCOY

Feb 4, 2018
Western Australia
I said similar in a post to you but it isn't there, my stupid phone sometimes doesn't play the game, damn thing...........................What I said was to look at the bottom of the key barrel if has a flat lug there should be a corresponding slot at the bottom which you can turn with a screwdriver, sometimes it may be a square slot either way it will turn with something to open and the barrell usually has a cam slot along the side which will slide back into the holder but will need a push or pull sort of thing to lock in place, some have pins sticking out which need to be pushed in as the lock is pushed back in then when in the correct position these pins will pop out and lock the thing in place, can be a big pain.........I've had a few locks come out with the key, most annoying, not a great lock anyway as a strong steady bit of force, like wrong key in lock will open them.
Cheers drover,
Yeah your right mate I didn't see your response at all, was just happy we weren't somewhere without phone internet connection, I'm a panel beater by trade and had worked with plenty of barrel locks before but to be honest it never occurred to me to try the screwdriver, just never entered my head but over 36yrs you forget something we're taught this was one big error forgetting this.thaks for your input keep it safe
Regards

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep it does happen @DDCOY , just those years of experience clogging up the grey cells I put it down to, plus when it's your own stuff, things tend to go wonky sometimes, I remember having a big panic when tail shaft wouldn't come off, spent ages banging bashing, prising called mate to come over, had a coffee while waiting and looked at the 3 bolts wondering where the 4th had got to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was till holder the shaft on....duh, mate loved it.

Great post as it spreads the information to heaps of folks, something that can happen anytime to us.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Yep it does happen @DDCOY I remember having a big panic when tail shaft wouldn't come off, spent ages banging bashing, prising called mate to come over, had a coffee while waiting and looked at the 3 bolts wondering where the 4th had got to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was till holder the shaft on....duh, mate loved it.

Hi @Drover,
nowadays, by the time I would have discovered the last bolt I didn't remove, I would have forgotten where I had put the first three!

Then when I eventually found the first three, I would then have forgotten where they came from!

cheers
Mike

Hanza

Mar 12, 2023
Victoria
Hi everyone, I have a spaceline 1990 and I locked it from the inside and now I cannot unlock the door from the outside and we are locked out. Anyone have any ideas on how to get in? Or will I need to just call a locksmith?