Exterior Legalities of # of gas bottles

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Slightly off topic, but we are currently having gas bottle holders fitted to the A-frame of a box trailer for the local Scout group (when I say we, I am organising it on behalf of the local scout group).

I see all vans are supplied with 1 or usually 2 bottles. Is this purely a convenience/cost/weight driven decision? I'd like to have 3 fitted to the A frame (the trailer is very heavy duty and I don't think ball weight will be an issue).

Is there any reason (law or otherwise) why I cannot fit 3 and need to stick to 2?

Cheers

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
No Law that I know of, just have to be secured down properly.
Usually vans with no HWS have one bottle and vans with have two.

I have read somewhere that up in Queensland, one is not "allowed" to carry more than two gas bottles in a vehicle. Do not know full story or what constitutes "in a vehicle" - sedan, ute or trailer?? Might be worth contacting gas company on latest restrictions that might apply locally and interstate.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No problem last time I checked, the rack/holder must be able to stand a force of 4G from any direction, must be mounted on side of van facing the tow vehicle, if connected to items in van/trailer must have compliance plate for gas plumbing, other wise just for carriage no drama.......if memory is correct QLD has a limit of 2 bottles , 9kg only to be carried inside a vehicle.........if you want the regs I could dig them out, I have them filed here somewhere.
Extra regs if contained in a box etc.