Leaking Jerrycans

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
I have a couple of those cheap yellow plastic (diesel) jerrycans and the first hot-ish day they are leaking. I have them mounted flat on the roof rack of the tug covered from direct sunlight.

I have done them up as tight as I can by hand but before I go mechanical on 'em are there any other tips.

Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Don't lay them flat, I have found spending the extra $$ does pay dividends on reliability. Like the steel Jerries don't fill chockas and best to store any of them upright, then if they vent you may only loose vapour not liquid, laying down you vent liquid.

Reactions: Frog and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have a couple of those cheap yellow plastic (diesel) jerrycans and the first hot-ish day they are leaking. I have them mounted flat on the roof rack of the tug covered from direct sunlight.

I have done them up as tight as I can by hand but before I go mechanical on 'em are there any other tips.

Thanks
I've got a few red ones that leak no matter what I do.

Like said above, don't fill them to the brim and try to store them upright (an issue on the roof I know).

Reactions: bigcol

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
Darn ... I was hoping for some forum magic! I bought a Rhino Rack for the top of the tug and while it's a solid bit of kit it isn't very good for lashing with bungy straps - there are limited tie down points unless you invest in some of the proprietary tie downs or jerry can holders (I can't stand being bullied into proprietary stuff). I wish I had bought one of the $10.99 Aldi mesh ones.

Thanks for the responses.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the only other option you could have is

work out what you need (currently) thinking also about what you may want to do it the future
then look for what will suffice
then sell the Rhino Racks

my yard is stuffed with bits and pieces that started out for one job, then the job changed
tis a bugger, but, without a Chrystal ball, we never know completely what we need for the future

Reactions: mikerezny

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
to clarify my point, I have in excess of $3000 worth of camping "stuff" I have brought, then realised later it:-

1) wont do the job I thought
2) was a good idea at the time - but reality set in
3) totally re-adjusted what I was originally planning, and now goods are no good for what I now want / or need

an example is some "mini" chairs I brought a good couple of years ago (about 3 years ago) - they are not as big as I thought they would be
put them in the spare room

was looking at them today - they may work as either foot stools or mini coffee tables

so they are back out in the Van to try out next time

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
Bigcol I'm with you. Unfortunately we are already on our lap and can't really fiddle with the big things. I only bought the RRack because I thought I would just sell it when I got back and bought it based on urban legend because that's what the punters want. That's also why I'm a bit miffed that the problem isn't easily solvable with a few bungy's and zip ties... the design is such to make you burn more money on elaborate solutions to simple problems.

I will sort it ... it won't be pretty.

Reactions: bigcol and G Daddy

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Bigcol I'm with you. Unfortunately we are already on our lap and can't really fiddle with the big things. I only bought the RRack because I thought I would just sell it when I got back and bought it based on urban legend because that's what the punters want. That's also why I'm a bit miffed that the problem isn't easily solvable with a few bungy's and zip ties... the design is such to make you burn more money on elaborate solutions to simple problems.

I will sort it ... it won't be pretty.
@Lap Dog since you are already committed, it might be worth getting some quality Jerry cans.

The better ones are less prone to leaking than the cheap Chinese ones.

Metal cans that don't have the breather valve would certainly be best for side mounting.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Lap Dog

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you can find the big orange or army green HD crates you can lay the Jerries sideways with the cap at the top of course then you strap the crate down, have used this a few times with HD foam blocks between cans to stop any movement with other vehicles on the rack....Also with the odd plastic can that doesn't seal check the top of the opening, I have had to do a bit of a file to level it all out and repllace the seal in the lid with a more pliable one, the original was useless bit of hard plastic crap......can only did one trip as it was a replacement for a water jerry that got dropped and split open then was turned into a plant pot holder as it was rubbish....

Here's the crates I use for storage of everything, I carry my Jerries vertical in them in the back of the Ute....

............................. plastic-crate-pc-003-160919.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hunt around then for a bit of soft plastic or rubber stuff that you can make into a big washer for the cap, that should do the job, I think it's probably a seal thats too hard thats allowing it to leak.

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Just travelled over 8000km including many unsealed roads and metal jerry can on side did not leak -- previous trips with plastic I always travelled with them upright as per others suggestions

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
Ok the cans hadn't leaked for a while until I got a few things together. They had stopped leaking until we went from the big red rock to the big green swamp where it was 37c... then got quite bad. It turned one I had tighten with pair of multi grips hadn't leaked.

I trimmed the edges of the lip with a knife. I used the opportunity to rotate the fuel into the tank and get some new stuff in. I added some injector cleaner into the jerrycans as a mould inhibitor and only refilled them 3/4 full as I only use them for emergencies (30l is plenty) and laid them semi upright (on their backs). Managed to get a couple of ratchet straps on them. So far so good. Thanks for the help.