Leaking external shower.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I've had an ongoing leakage problem with my external shower on my 27.56-2 OB from new. It is fitted to the rear of the van and protrudes into the rear boot. The water pipes come up through the floor (wasting a lot of storage space) and connect to the rear of the shower module.
Like others the shower compartment seems to fill with rain water, as the door is very flimsy and does not seal at the top. the water then manages to find its way into the rear boot.
I had crack at fixing this today.
It appears the water us able to find its way through the tap fitting where the pipes come through. This pic is after I disconnected the hot and cold pipes.
image.jpg

As you can see, no seals are fitted.
image.jpg

I only had black silicon on hand , but I figure if it's good enough for Jayco it's good enough for me!
image.jpg

So this hasn't 't fixed the stupid flimsy door not sealing, but hopefully now even if the compartment does fill up, it won't make its way into the boot.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hmmm..... A design flaw that I remember posting about in my old expanda over two years ago.
From memory I also did something to the base of the door to make sure if the water did get in that it exited via the base of the door also.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hmmm..... A design flaw that I remember posting about in my old expanda over two years ago.
From memory I also did something to the base of the door to make sure if the water did get in that it exited via the base of the door also.
I actually replaced the seal today too, but not holding my breath it will work. The drill will come out soon to make some drainage holes at the base of the door.

Last edited:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Well mine hasn't got that black seal and I don't get any water leaking back. Hopefully the silicone does the trick. Is your shower enclosure well siliconed to the van. I did change the shower head yesterday. $10 mod.
IMG_2872.JPG IMG_2874.JPG

Last edited:

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Well mine hasn't got that black seal and I don't get any water leaking back. Hopefully the silicone does the trick. Is your shower enclosure well siliconed to the van. I did change the shower head yesterday. $10 mod.
View attachment 18967 View attachment 18968
Nice cheap mod.
Yes, I checked to see if the enclosure was well seal to the van. All looks good. I guess with you'd not having the seal probably helps as the compartment cannot fill up. Do you find you get much dust in there?
Also, what it that hole on the left of your taps? Mine doesn't have that.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
The hole is the tank filling location, I moved it there as I put my shower where the water connection enclosure was. Water is now connected at the back of the van. No real dust to speak of.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
The hole is the tank filling location, I moved it there as I put my shower where the water connection enclosure was. Water is now connected at the back of the van. No real dust to speak of.
Very tidy tank filler hole. I do like the idea of moving the mains connection to underneath the van. Too many stories of the connectors inside blowing off.