Electrical Korr folding solar panels

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Hi @Axl , you still up late?? No problem at all so it is well you asked as a "dead short" at 20 odd volts and 10 or so amps is going to make smoke and flame!! But don't be too alarmed - it only happens if panels are in the sun!! lol.
Seriously, on the back of each solar panel there are two OUTPUT leads from a controller - one marked POS and the other marked NEG. You have two leads going to solar MPPT controller also. These are also marked Pos (red) and Neg (black). You join the positive from the MPPT controller to the POS on the first panel. The other lead on that same panel is the NEG. You use a separate wire from the neg of that panel to the POS on the second panel. The remaining lead on the second panel is NEG and is joined to the NEG on solar controller input alongside the Positive. As I always use Anderson plugs for all connections, there is a standard pos and Neg connection (same double wire 6 or 8mm) on the one Anderson plug. This wire splits and the single POS wire goes to the First panel Pos. Here it gets a bit different. If using an Anderson plug, you already have the pos wire from controller on one connector. A separate SINGLE wire goes into the Same anderson plug but on the NEG side, which in turn is connected to the neg of first panel. Are you still with me?? Hang in there!! This SINGLE wire (connected to NEG terminal of output on first panel goes to the POS terminal of second panel and is connected to POS output of panel two. That only leaves one terminal on the Anderson plug which is connected to the NEG on back of panel two. The other end of this SINGLE wire goes to the neg coming from the Controller input where we started.
Too late tonight , but will send pictures tomorrow when light. Don't get put off, I had to think of how to make the connections on the same Anderson plug/s myself at first. I trust you are happy with the way to bypass controllers on back of panels so you can get panel output to MPPT controller direct??

Hi @Boots in Action, yeah mate just started nightshift for a week. Very informative reply thanks, wow sounds complicated but ill wait for the pics. At the end of the day what I'm planning to do is going to give me more solar than I need as long as the sun shines, so for me I will probably stick to simply bypassing the regulators on the panels and plugging them straight into the MPPT via a piggy backed set of Andersons.
As for bypassing the controllers the flexible set come with plug and play already wired up to do this and I will be taking my glass set with me when I have the MPPT controller installed so Ill get the experts to do it for me.

Last edited:

Crossy

Dec 3, 2017
Canberra
Axl, Exactly as Boots'' says above, I have all connections via Anderson plugs, I have however connected a blue Anderson for the rooftop and standard grey for the portable solar connection. This is really just to distinguish the 2 when I see them in the cupboard next to the regulator. I tend to draw up the diagrams before making the leads and connections, sounds more complicated than it is. I will take photos at weekend and also include the very simple diagrams. My aim is to be able to have both a parallel and series set up by merely changing the connections at the regulator end. I suspect that parallel will be best, exactly as per 'Boots' comment above but you cant beat doing it yourself to find out right!! its only another short lead with 3 Anderson plugs to find out!! (I have an Anderson between regulator and the connectors so I don't have to keep disconnecting the lead from the regulator.
A picture is worth a thousand words and will be a lot clearer with photos.
Crossy

Reactions: Axl