Kedron Compact XC3

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We hope to get to Newhaven one day, it is now owned jointly by Bush Heritage and Birdlife Australia. We would hope to take our Kedron, but not sure of the road. We know the main Tanami Road is corrugated (we have travelled it without a caravan), but ok. However, the road to Newhaven is not as good quality and we need to find out a bit more about it before we would consider taking our van into Newhaven.

In the next couple of years we plan to do a Central Aus trip, depending on time we may fit in Newhaven. Bush Heritage and Birdlife seem to run reserves very well, they are pleasant to visit and really are good conservation arks.

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
IMG_0166.jpeg
IMG_1061.jpeg
IMG_1014.jpeg
IMG_1015.jpeg
IMG_1103.jpeg
IMG_0183.JPG

Got back a few weeks ago from 7K trip to Western Qld and across the Plenty Hwy and back home via Western Victoria. The Plenty Hwy was is poor condition from the NT border to Gemtree. Well worth doing, but very badly cut up by large cattle trucks driving on it when wet. Some sections down to 40km. The driving light brackets broke as did the CB aerial whip, both common occurrences on this road according to the locals. Got new whip in Alice Springs replaced the lights with light bar when we got home (less prone to vibration damage).

Overall the van worked well, we had a couple of internal things work loose, but nothing that is not easily fixed, draws and cupboards stayed solid and shut. We used our diesel heater a lot even in Alice as the nights were cold. We added 500ml of kero to the 10l of diesel in the heater tank which prevented waxing up on some of the colder nights.

Once back on the bitumen we dropped two shocks on one side, not sure if the top bolt broke or Nylock nut came off, this happened near Marla Roadhouse, removed dragging shocks. Then drove 200km carefully till Coober Pedy where we got a couple of high tensile bolts the right size (none of the bolts in my kit fitted). Put one shock on each side (dual shocks on each side) had a chat with Kedron who thought it was a good idea then drove 3,000km home ok. Since getting home got 4 new shocks and 4 new bolts, so now have 2 spare slightly used shocks and spare bolts. Still very happy with the van it handled well with no shocks on one side and then with one shock on each side.

Last edited:

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Should also mention that our Stone Stomper worked very well on lots of rocky dirt roads. It not only keeps the rocks down it also pushes down the dust from the rear of the tow and the van. It did develop a couple holes from sharp rocks, especially where it was tight across the bottom of the A frame.

Contacted Christian at @Stone Stomper and he arranged for us to mail it to him with a return pre paid 5kg Parcel Post envelope. He patched the holes and added a bit of reinforcing on some rub points at no charge. Very pleased with the after sales support. Nice to have a well made Australian product with good after sales backup.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Just got back from Kedron's 20,000km service in Brisbane (it rained 10 days out of 14 days) and while there got two more 80W solar panels added to the roof and some sail track along the edge of the roof on the drivers side of van. The new panels give us 460W on the roof maxing out our 450W PWM internal solar regulator and this with our folding 160W panel running through our Enerdrive DC to DC converter (which also has its own seperate MPPT 500W regulator as well as ability to charge the van battery from the tow's Anderson plug). This now gives us heaps of solar to run our 200 Ahr LiFePo Battery and our 1800W inverter

We now have decided not to get a generator as we have not had any need for a generator since buying the van. We did fit a locker at van purchase suitable for a generator, which of course we have filled up with all sorts of neat stuff. This decision not to get a generator is fortunate, as while at Kedron we discussed increasing the ATM above 2500Kg as we now tow with a LC200 and do not have the 2500Kg towing weight limitation or 250Kg tow ball weight limit of our Pajero. Kedron advised against increasing the ATM above 2500Kg for their single axel, so we have taken their advice. Just to be safe when we got home we left the van fully loaded (including full water tank, 10l extra diesel, diesel heater tank ½ full, etc) and added a few extra Kg of gear to make sure and took it over a weigh bridge. We now have a weight bridge certificate for 2500Kg for our van fully loaded as we travel, including the two spare tyres and extra solar panels.

We are very pleased, we also weighed the LC200 cruiser fully loaded with Bull bar (plastic SmartBar), Drifta draws, ½ Cargo Barrier, tinned food, long life milk, full car fridge, 30l of water in Jerry's and came in at around 3000Kg. This is also good as we have a spare 350Kg of payload when we travel. So extra gear and food now will go in the tow not the van.

We are very pleased it all works and is legal, it is good when a plan comes together.

Was the weight question the main reason for replacing the Paj? We are toying with the idea of ordering an XC3 Compact early next year and will be towing it behind a Paj.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Was the weight question the main reason for replacing the Paj? We are toying with the idea of ordering an XC3 Compact early next year and will be towing it behind a Paj.
No the weight was not the main issue, we were thinking of a new 4WD and did not like 18" wheels (we have 17" LC200 pattern wheels on our van) which eliminated a new Pajero, so looked closely at Toyota and then the Prado and Fortuna both good 4WD they came out over $60K on road, so decided to look at Landcrusier (LC200) and discovered the GX model (3 month wait) which we negotiated down to $76K on road. So some deep thought we then went for it, a decision we have not regretted.
See our Expanda thread on Tow vehicles - new-landcrusier-gx-200.9076

We have now towed the Kedron for about 1 year with the LC200 and find economy similar or worse than Pajero, but now we tend to sit on 100Km all day where as at that speed the Pajero coped ok, but was working a bit hard especially in hilly country. The LC200 just rolls along and does not get worried by hills. The single axel XC3 (ATM2500Kg) is designed to be towed by both a Prado and Pajero. In our opinion it is perfectly safe to to tow with these 4WD, but nicer with the LC200. We disscussed with Kedron increasing the ATM after getting the LC200, but Kedron advised against it, and now we have plenty of payload in tow. We have checked the weights of both fully loaded for and long trip (water tanks full, food and cloths packed, 60l water in tow, etc.) and all is legal with some tow payload left over.

In summary you should have no trouble towing it with the Pajero, but have a good talk with Kedron before ordering. You will have to get a single axel as Kedron dual axels are just too heavy for a Pajero (or Prado) to tow safely. The advantage is the single axel can go a lot of places the dual cannot and tows well in tight spots and is really a great van, we are really happy with ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and PeterV

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
No the weight was

No the weight was not the main issue, we were thinking of a new 4WD and did not like 18" wheels (we have 17" LC200 pattern wheels on our van) which eliminated a new Pajero, so looked closely at Toyota and then the Prado and Fortuna both good 4WD they came out over $60K on road, so decided to look at Landcrusier (LC200) and discovered the GX model (3 month wait) which we negotiated down to $76K on road. So some deep thought we then went for it, a decision we have not regretted.
See our Expanda thread on Tow vehicles - new-landcrusier-gx-200.9076

We have now towed the Kedron for about 1 year with the LC200 and find economy similar or worse than Pajero, but now we tend to sit on 100Km all day where as at that speed the Pajero coped ok, but was working a bit hard especially in hilly country. The LC200 just rolls along and does not get worried by hills. The single axel XC3 (ATM2500Kg) is designed to be towed by both a Prado and Pajero. In our opinion it is perfectly safe to to tow with these 4WD, but nicer with the LC200. We disscussed with Kedron increasing the ATM after getting the LC200, but Kedron advised against it, and now we have plenty of payload in tow. We have checked the weights of both fully loaded for and long trip (water tanks full, food and cloths packed, 60l water in tow, etc.) and all is legal with some tow payload left over.

In summary you should have no trouble towing it with the Pajero, but have a good talk with Kedron before ordering. You will have to get a single axel as Kedron dual axels are just too heavy for a Pajero (or Prado) to tow safely. The advantage is the single axel can go a lot of places the dual cannot and tows well in tight spots and is really a great van, we are really happy with ours.

Many thanks @yabbietol, a single axle will also make it easier for us to park the van at home. We have Camper Trolley to position the van at home but it struggles a bit with the dual axle of the Jayco. And to be honest, I've never really understood why you would buy a very large off-road van, it seems a bit of a contradiction to me, unless you are getting it largely to cope with corrugations, washouts etc. We are down-sizing from a family van to van for 2 and 16 feet seems just about right.

Regarding your experience with the Paj, I know what you mean about hills. We have had a DP Chip installed which helps a lot. At some point we will probably also instal a 3" exhaust. Longer term, we will probably also look at the LC200, but in the shorter term the Kedron will drain the "money well".

We will be visiting family up at the Gold Coast early in the new year and will be meeting Paul at the factory while there.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We asked for wheels to fit the Pajero, but the closest Kedron could do was LC200 17", so we went for it. When you visit, do the factory tour it is well worth looking at how they make the vans. When you talk the Graham (the designer) he will be really helpful, ask him to show you our design, it works well, especially for bush camping. The full size shower and ensuite works well.

The Lithium battery is expensive, but well worth it (weight and capacity) we now have 460W of solar panels (2x80W and 2X150W) well worth it and the diesel heater is great. Kedron's new airbag suspension looks good. If you have any questions do not hesitate to email me.

Reactions: bigcol

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
We would probably do the same, given the LC200 is most likely to be the long term replacement of the Paj. I like the idea of the lithium batteries, but given their cost, I will need to think hard about it. You can never have too much power and AGMs are heavy!

Unfortunately, while the sales office will be open, the factory will be closed when we are there, so I need to think about a second trip.

Also, thank you for your email offer. I'm sure I'll take advantage of it when I get a bit closer

Reactions: yabbietol

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
what kind of cost does a 16 foot Kedron XC3 average at?

That brand of van is what I will be working towards buying closer to retirement because I have seen the videos they produce and the tracks their vans go down and know where ever I would take mine wouldn't be as bad as those. beyond that, I haven't found a vane finished anywhere near as good as the Kedron vans.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW

That brand of van is what I will be working towards buying closer to retirement because I have seen the videos they produce and the tracks their vans go down and know where ever I would take mine wouldn't be as bad as those. beyond that, I haven't found a vane finished anywhere near as good as the Kedron vans.

For the Compact version, which can be towed by a Pajero / Prado, you are probably looking at around the mid $80ks, but it will vary quite a bit depending upon options. I also spoke to Bushtracker about anything they had which could be towed by Pajero / Prado. Their offering is 14' van at a cost around the high $90ks.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW

Ours cost ~$74K two years ago, without our extra options. Note they come with quite a few extras such as rear view camera, oscillating fan, really good quality tyres, etc.

We added 200Ah LiPO battery, compressor fridge, LiPO Battery Management system, 2 x 150W solar panels (since have added another 2 x 80W panels), 2000W Xantech Inverter, extra spare tyre, 2 x leg rest on cafe seating, ceramic toilet, 3 x Fantastic hatches, Grey water tank, 2 extra lockers and one locker with slide, all up cost another ~$10K (including $1500 Dexter Sway Control -DSC fitted by Vehicle Components).

It is important to note you may have to wait up to 12 months once you place order, deposit was $2K, balance on pick up. Also I have been told by other Kedron Owners that they hold their value really well and second hand ones are usually in good shape, but expensive.

Another thing is we have found their back up service great even after warranty. We have rung them up while travelling to ask questions (eg squeak from one wheel, they listened to it on phone -said was dust in brakes and cleared itself as they said it should) and found them really helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and PeterV

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Ours cost ~$74K two years ago, without our extra options. Note they come with quite a few extras such as rear view camera, oscillating fan, really good quality tyres, etc.

We added 200Ah LiPO battery, compressor fridge, LiPO Battery Management system, 2 x 150W solar panels (since have added another 2 x 80W panels), 2000W Xantech Inverter, extra spare tyre, 2 x leg rest on cafe seating, ceramic toilet, 3 x Fantastic hatches, Grey water tank, 2 extra lockers and one locker with slide, all up cost another ~$10K (including $1500 Dexter Sway Control -DSC fitted by Vehicle Components).

It is important to note you may have to wait up to 12 months once you place order, deposit was $2K, balance on pick up. Also I have been told by other Kedron Owners that they hold their value really well and second hand ones are usually in good shape, but expensive.

Another thing is we have found their back up service great even after warranty. We have rung them up while travelling to ask questions (eg squeak from one wheel, they listened to it on phone -said was dust in brakes and cleared itself as they said it should) and found them really helpful.

That's really interesting and helpful @yabbietol. I'm interested in many of those of those options. The price before options is now $78k.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Just returned from a quick trip to get our van serviced in Qld at Kedron, rained for 11 days out of 15 away. The van went well and service total cost of $350 very pleased. Kedron adjusted shower door and some minor repairs after our Plenty Hwy trip, good value and support for a 2 year old out of warranty van.

On the way back while staying a Cowra camp ground a white 16' single axel XC-3 compact Kedron parked next to us. It was 2 weeks old. It was very similar to ours with less options, did not have Lithium battery, inverter or as much solar. However, it had 150W solar and 100Ah lead acid battery, 3 way fridge not compressor fridge, no washing machine, no ASC or DSC, but it had diesel heater. It did have the new Kedron suspension, which the owners liked. They were happy and said it towed very well behind their dual cab ute.

It cost below $75K, it took ~12 months to deliver from ordering which is fairly normal for Kedron.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Just returned from a quick trip to get our van serviced in Qld at Kedron, rained for 11 days out of 15 away. The van went well and service total cost of $350 very pleased. Kedron adjusted shower door and some minor repairs after our Plenty Hwy trip, good value and support for a 2 year old out of warranty van.

On the way back while staying a Cowra camp ground a white 16' single axel XC-3 compact Kedron parked next to us. It was 2 weeks old. It was very similar to ours with less options, did not have Lithium battery, inverter or as much solar. However, it had 150W solar and 100Ah lead acid battery, 3 way fridge not compressor fridge, no washing machine, no ASC or DSC, but it had diesel heater. It did have the new Kedron suspension, which the owners liked. They were happy and said it towed very well behind their dual cab ute.

It cost below $75K, it took ~12 months to deliver from ordering which is fairly normal for Kedron.

We left the rain up there for you when we left, :D somehow I think you dragged it back with you.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We just had 34mm of rain today at home. @Bushman I think you are right rain does seem to follow us. Lucky our house and our van are dry and snug, just a shame we do not have wood heater in our van like we have at home.

We will just have to make do with the diesel heater when travelling.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Just completed a 10,500km round trip from Southern NSW across Nullarbor to Shark Bay and back across the Great Central Road back to home.

The van performed very well and we are happy with its performance on the corrugated roads, tyre pressures 40-45 psi. We got some dust inside mainly due to not latching a window completely shut, left one corner latch undone.

On the way home our Eberspacher heater stopped working, I changed the heater fuel filter no difference, so when I got home decided to have a good look and when I looked at the heater it was covered in red dust so got under van and found air inlet heater hose missing and red dust falling out of heater. The inlet hose was missing broken off at heater base, small bit of hose and hose clamp still attached. Hose probably taken out by a rock. Heater needed a complete strip down clean and about $120 worth of parts, it had dust/mud all the way through it. Will be replacing inlet hose with tougher material.

PiH%deCjT8yu7+%mfi1a5w_thumb_7035.jpgDcEtoSfqT3uduBsh%ajK%A_thumb_7039.jpgxhV2sqPXTBOn6i8wpGgxpQ_thumb_703a.jpg

We have had the Kedron for nearly two years and it still going well.

We also really like our diesel heater it is a surprise when it stops working especially in winter.
My suggestions for diesel heater owners check the air inlet pipe regularly (maybe replace with tougher pipe), service heater every two years and temporarily block inlet hose when travelling on dirt roads.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
A short follow up on our diesel heater, is that it is still working well after its repairs. I replaced the flimsy inlet pipe with a short length of flexible stainless steel 1" pipe, thin and cheap off Ebay and two L shaped 1" silicon pipes, made from one Ebay U shaped 1" pipe cut in two plus some metal conduit brackets. Materials cost ~$35. The heater inlet pipe is now very robust.

The solution to keeping dust out that seems to work very well are two Champaign corks with holes drilled through centre and attached via a short length of string.
They hang below the van when unplugged and are very visible in when we do our final walk around before leaving so are easy to spot if not plugged in, the only real disadvantage is remembering to unplug them before going to bed so you can turn heater on in morning, without going outside.

We just did a few week trip to Central Qld and Bris-vegas (for van service at Kedron), stopping at Lara Wetlands and Carnarvon Gorge (Sandstone Caravan Park- very good) plus a few national parks with associated dirt roads and the corks with new inlet pipe worked ok.

Van is going well after 3 years.

Reactions: PeterV

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We hope to get to Newhaven one day, it is now owned jointly by Bush Heritage and Birdlife Australia. We would hope to take our Kedron, but not sure of the road. We know the main Tanami Road is corrugated (we have travelled it without a caravan), but ok. However, the road to Newhaven is not as good quality and we need to find out a bit more about it before we would consider taking our van into Newhaven.

In the next couple of years we plan to do a Central Aus trip, depending on time we may fit in Newhaven. Bush Heritage and Birdlife seem to run reserves very well, they are pleasant to visit and really are good conservation arks.

We finally got to Newhaven and it was worth the effort.We have just got back from a Central Australia trip to Newhaven.

The road in is a bit rough, but we got the van in and out ok. The main Tanami road to Tilmouth Well Road house is paved, but with some single lane bitumen, a good road except for slippery dirt shoulders in rain. It did rain while we were there so cautioned needed when meeting wide loads and road trains. It also rained while we were in Newhaven, but around Newhaven the roads are sandy and drained well with the 10mm of rain we had, in other nearby spots they got 40+mm which may have proved interesting with the van. Some local roads were blocked by flooding, including the road north to Yuendumu.

On the way up went via Broken Hill and then up Oodnadatta track (from Roxby Downs) and also stopped for a couple of days at Wallace Rockhole near Alice.

We then went out to Newhaven via Alice Springs and returned home via Gluepot and Western NSW.

Some photos from the trip

Algebuckner Bridge -Ghan railway near Oodnadatta on way up.
IMG_1417.jpeg

Wallace Rockhole - great little caravan park (+ $10 gorge tour) 100km from Alice, nice quiet spot.
IMG_2140.jpeg
IMG_1422.jpeg

Newhaven Predator proof fence around ~10,000 hectares
IMG_2181.jpeg

Campsite in rain at Newhaven
IMG_2222.jpeg

Crossroads near Newhaven (Central Mt Wedge in pic)
IMG_1437.jpeg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Wow ive done Dingo dockos at Newhaven station we brought our own dogs though as far as i know from the owner when we where there which his family had it for many years he was selling it to Birds Australia is that true ???? Theres ground parrots there too and huge camel's we met a germen couple studying the camels and an ABC film crew filming very small native mice
We did our filming near a big red sand dune and a waterhole i left one of poems there in a small hut i wonder if its still there wow carnt belive you went there we met up with the Aboriginal bush mechanics used to be on tv and did a seen with them great place black fella country