Kedron Compact XC3

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Not exactly, I did ask and was advised that 3.2m clearance would be fine (I have 3.3m opening in my shed). I am getting 17" wheels which obviously increase height more than 16" which are the more common wheel size. I looked at the same model van in the factory which was about 95% assembled, 3.1m does appear to be the typical Kedron height.

Currently they have quite a few vans assembled (18) and at the factory ready for the Brisbane Caravan Show so it should be possible to contact them and get them to give you a height for a particular model van. Don't forget to ask what size wheels they have fitted, it is only a small height difference, but could be important if tolerances are close.

Regards
Terry

PS I should add I got swing doors made for my shed by a Colourbond fence supplier in Queanbeyan, they are really garden gates max height 3.1m, so I have yet to add 0.2m of Colourbond on top of gates (doors), they cost $1500 to get made, but are real solid and well made.

Last edited:
Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks @yabbietol I have spoken to them and they are non committal and same as you suggest 3.2. I can get about 3.2 outta my shed with a panel lift so that's cool. I am just forecasting for the next van, totally happy with the 17.6 starcraft for now.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
When's the Brisbane caravan show? I might need to be in Brisbane for work that week ;-)

Reactions: dagree

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Just committed to getting the 200Ah Kedron (Enedrive) Lithium battery system in our new van, it includes a Battery Management System (BMS), a fancy 40A charger (ePOWER) and a DC to DC converter (for charging from our tows Anderson plug). It is set up with 300W of solar and will have an additional Anderson plug for charging from folding solar panels.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We have now committed to having Kedron fit a Xantrex 1800W inverter, it will be hard wired into all power points and will have the appropriate breaker for safety and an automatic 240v bypass for when we have a powered site. So we are now looking at the ability to free camp and still use the microwave and our bread maker.

I am a celiac and so we need to bake our own bread every few days. I did some tests at home with our bread maker and a cheapo Aldi power meter and worked out conservatively our bread maker should use around 40Ah to bake a gluten free loaf. This should be fine on a sunny day with our 300W of solar and 200Ah lithium. So hopefully we can do more free camping for extended periods. In the longer term we will consider if we need more solar or a small generator for battery charging (not too keen on generators), eventually some real world testing will tell us if we need more power generation.

We also have a slight delay on our van pickup, due to Kedron getting a few weeks behind in their orders. We are now hoping for delivery last week of August or early September.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We have 340w of solar and 235ah worth of batteries and have found that if you get a few bad days of no sun shinning and are a big power user you still struggle with just solar . If it's sunny then never a problem .
That's why we have a Yamaha generator just in case .
We find water our biggest consumable

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
A generator is a possible purchase for us, but we will wait till we pick up out van and test out its solar and battery systems. We are thinking of possibly a 1Kw Yamaha (or Honda) for charging batteries, nice and light <13Kg, but a 2Kw generator may also be an option. This possible purchase will have to wait a little while and will need a whole lot of research by us.

It is interesting water is your limiting factor for free camping.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
The way I understand it is that they always use the same firm and have for many years. I think it is a Queensland company called Opal Fabrication a steel fabricator in Brisbane. The chassis is made off site and ours was ordered from their supplier in May and delivered to Kedron Factory this week. Once the chassis is on site Kedron put the floor down on it and then move it through 12 separate production stations and then hopefully we get our finished caravan

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Getting closer, some photos of the caravan during assembly

RHS unclad 2.jpeg
Inside dining area.jpeg
Inside Lithium Battery.jpeg

Attachments

• Inside Kitchen.jpeg
    Inside Kitchen.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 397
  • Inside under bed.jpeg
    Inside under bed.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 649
  • Inside view forward.jpeg
    Inside view forward.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 411

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Nice looking van there guys. I might have missed it but what is the whit box under the bed? Fuel cell??
Hello Shane
The box is the 200Ah Lithium Phosphate Battery from enedrive. After much thinking, research and asking on forums, etc we decided to go Lithium mainly to save weight. The battery box is steel and apparently very strong and is OK to put under our bed (unlike Lead Acid batteries), it is also good placement for weight distribution. The two main advantages are 200Ah at about 32Kg which is a lot lighter than the 240Ah AGM we were originally going to have and the Li can be discharged down to 80% which means we have equivalent to about 320Ah AGM. The main disadvantage is cost, hopefully we will get 10 years plus from this battery so the initial cost will be spread over a long time.

We think Lithium Phosphate is a good option if you can afford it, especially in a new van when the whole system including Battery Management System (BMS), DC to DC converter (for charging from tow) and suitable Lithium battery charger are installed in one go. We also opted for 300W of solar and an inverter wired (and suitable breaker) wired to the power points, so hopefully free camping should be very comfortable. We think Lithium batteries are the way ahead and I am sure over the next few years they will come down in cost and be standard on most vans, at the moment it is a bit expensive, but we plan to keep this van for a few years and we intend to enjoy it while we have our health.

Regards
Terry