Just looking

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Hi all

Currently I am a camper trailer user from Brisbane but looking at the expanda option under the wife’s directions.
I do like the CT but we spend most of our time at family orientated caravan parks (big 4's with kids stuff) and only get 1 night weekends and public holidays away so a caravan does tick more boxes and is more suited to our current needs than trying to set up a CT around a concrete slab or raised tent site.
Have 2 girls (5 & 7) that fight worse than cats and dogs so sharing a bed is not the best option and with a 2t tow limit on the current tow car (possibly due for replacement within the next 7mths) we are currently looking at the 14.44-4.
I was thinking just the standard model as I am not allowed off road (tow car = wife’s car) although I am also on myswag.org (I see there are a few members here) and have managed to get to a few of their gatherings and they are off the bitumen normally although more dirt road than anything.
Other options that we are thinking of so far are:
Roof air
Innerspring mattress
RM2553 fridge (wife keeps using beer space up with food)
Extra gas bottle and external access for bbq (Webber q150)
Picnic table (if they come with this but seen them on the pop tops)
External shower (hot water)
Wind up antenna.
Remove microwave (doesn't fit with bigger fridge unless we lose a pot draw).
This list could/should change as I start researching and I still have to work out where to keep the bbq or how to relocate/remount the spare wheel so I can fit a tool box on the A-frame.

Cheers cancan:o

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Welcome over here cancan:smile: there is plenty of useful tips here. Moto has the 14.44.4 with a similar list option to what your looking at he so check out his Expanda thread.

Its a great size with bunks that should fit your towing requirements and they seem to be getting more popular as that model was only released this year.
With an external shower another thing you may consider is an extra water tank too.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Thanks Cruza

I have read Moto's thread a few times and after a trip to our local Jayco dealer we are now looking at the same options as Moto's but without the radio (will retro fit this) and with an innerspring mattress (just changed this in the CT and worth there weight in gold).
Now just waiting for the pre christmas show to see what deals are about as the local dealer was not that interested in us, was told we would not get delivery until March 2012 and prices could change being next years model and to come back in December.
Things have changed since I worked in sales although as much as I like the idea of the expanda I am still hopeful of getting the wife back onto the extenda type camper trailer and this buys me some time.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome cancan!

Hope my thread helped, not hindered you decisions.

I would agree with the big fridge over the microwave. We rarely need/use or microwave. Other than that you have a good options list.

I think Jayco Canberra have an onroad 14.44-4. May not have all your options but finding a model in stock usually means money to be saved. We did this with our old Hawk, save heaps. Or wait until the run out sales usually in Jan, you can usually save even more on a demo then.

Good luck.

PS life is much easier setting up an Expanda compared to the campers. Happy wife = Happy life:amen:

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Thanks Moto moto

Funny I had read your thread on myswag a few times but hadn't read it on here, a lot more info on here but kept diverting to other threads from members that commented on your thread so kept me busy last night.
A lot of other options that I wanted come standard with the outback model so looking for the outback now and we are in no rush as our next decent break in Australia will be next easter so will check out the shows that are coming up and maybe contact some dealers near the end of the year and yes happy wife and happy life and the wife although the wife did like the 18 foot expanda, maybe I have unleashed the devil here.