20' Series JTECH SUSPENSION

dyasonmichelle

Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne
Hi there, we just recently found out that our van does not have the JTECH Suspension despite the sign on the side of the vehicle. We purchased a new Jayco Expanda Dec 2016 model in December of 2016. Can anyone tell me, do all 2016 Expanda's come with JTECH suspension. We simply assumed with the sign that this is what we had until we looked into having the van raised as it drags when exiting every petrol station, Caravan park, household drive, pretty much any exit with a slight dip - our van will scrape. It was only after I took these photos last weekend that we realised we have leaf spring suspension - is this why we are dragging? Disappointed with Jayco for selling us a van that clearly states JTECH Suspension, when it has leaf springs??? Any advice? Michelle

Attachments

• IMG_3526.JPG
    IMG_3526.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_3528.JPG
    IMG_3528.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_3533.JPG
    IMG_3533.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 555

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
From around 2014 all OB models will have the J-tech suspension.
Your dragging issue sounds like a clearance issue. Doesn’t matter what suspension you have, if you have a clearance issue then you have a clearance issue however if yours is the touring model then possibly an underslinging axle conversion will give you more clearance but if you have an annexe that brings on more problems. Also possible issue with drop down legs now being too short to be of any use.

Reactions: Boots in Action

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
We’ve a 2016 17.56-2 with underslung suspension. Doesn’t bottom out much. We love it!
I got the underslung mainly for our driveway which is quite steep on entry and exit. The old Heritage we had (very similar length) bottomed out not only on the rear but on the a-frame as well over the grass when moving it around at home.
Since moving to the expanda we’ve no issues with clearance anymore.

Don’t think ours has J-tech stickers though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The stickers might be add ons, at least with leaf springs you can increase the height where as with J tech not so easy.

dyasonmichelle

Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne
Thank you for your suggestions and advice. We definitely have a clearance issue. I have been quoted around $3K to raise the van. I will speak with Jayco and question the sticker. Much appreciated. Michelle

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
$3 grand to lift it sounds a bit extravagant for a leaf sprung rig, if they are just normal beam axles on rocker spring set up I could probably lift t for the price of 4 sets of U bolts and spacers.
I would certainly ask questions and be persistent, but have a look at your contract and see if it states what the suspension is then at least you have something to stand on, just the sticker and they will fob you off with" Oh sorry, you should have picked that up on delivery" don't go to a dealer about getting a lift either, if anyone will give you a quote without looking at it and telling you what needs to be done walk away from them also.

I see in the pics that you have off set axles fitted, to give you about 80-100mm of lift all thats needed to be done is to release the rear spring shackles on both sides so you can walk the axle out from on top of the spring pack, reconnect the spring and walk the axle back into place, same for the front axle except you would drop the front spring shackle..............you are not rotating axles or anything just moving the spring from under the axle to on top of the axle, only parts needed would be a new set of U bolts, fish plates and spacer...................alternatively you could get new 50mm beam axles which would give you a lift of 100-150mm..................changing wheel/tyres can gain 25 - 40mm...

Of course the procedure I outlined is just a quicky description but it is an easy job and doesn't require engineer stuff or anything, a trailer place would probably charge $300 -400 to do it.

@Boots in Action posted some pics of same sort of axle I will find the link.

Here's a pic of @Boots in Action offset axle in the under spring position this has increased his height with no major changes or drama, while it's on a single axle the change is the same..

1521526419167.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
$3 grand to lift it sounds a bit extravagant for a leaf sprung rig, if they are just normal beam axles on rocker spring set up I could probably lift t for the price of 4 sets of U bolts and spacers.
I would certainly ask questions and be persistent, but have a look at your contract and see if it states what the suspension is then at least you have something to stand on, just the sticker and they will fob you off with" Oh sorry, you should have picked that up on delivery" don't go to a dealer about getting a lift either, if anyone will give you a quote without looking at it and telling you what needs to be done walk away from them also.

I see in the pics that you have off set axles fitted, to give you about 80-100mm of lift all thats needed to be done is to release the rear spring shackles on both sides so you can walk the axle out from on top of the spring pack, reconnect the spring and walk the axle back into place, same for the front axle except you would drop the front spring shackle..............you are not rotating axles or anything just moving the spring from under the axle to on top of the axle, only parts needed would be a new set of U bolts, fish plates and spacer...................alternatively you could get new 50mm beam axles which would give you a lift of 100-150mm..................changing wheel/tyres can gain 25 - 40mm...

Of course the procedure I outlined is just a quicky description but it is an easy job and doesn't require engineer stuff or anything, a trailer place would probably charge $300 -400 to do it.

@Boots in Action posted some pics of same sort of axle I will find the link.

Here's a pic of @Boots in Action offset axle in the under spring position this has increased his height with no major changes or drama, while it's on a single axle the change is the same..

View attachment 59835

Great explanation , for our new member, and the estimated price is what I paid for a single axle. I still remember how you sorted me out on off set axles. Great learning experience too!! Under-slinging the axles should give our new members the clearance they are looking for. About 3K to do it??? What a " rIp off" for the unwary!!

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi there, we just recently found out that our van does not have the JTECH Suspension despite the sign on the side of the vehicle. We purchased a new Jayco Expanda Dec 2016 model in December of 2016. Can anyone tell me, do all 2016 Expanda's come with JTECH suspension. We simply assumed with the sign that this is what we had until we looked into having the van raised as it drags when exiting every petrol station, Caravan park, household drive, pretty much any exit with a slight dip - our van will scrape. It was only after I took these photos last weekend that we realised we have leaf spring suspension - is this why we are dragging? Disappointed with Jayco for selling us a van that clearly states JTECH Suspension, when it has leaf springs??? Any advice? Michelle
Hi @dyasonmichelle, and welcome to the forum. Jtech suspension is the (very) heavy duty sit-in independent suspension module that only comes on the Outback models, and only Outback models post 2013. You have standard touring model double eye leaf spring suspension on your touring model, which is a standard touring model suspension system. If you didn't order and pay for an Outback model you simply dont get JTech suspension; and Jtech is not an upgrade option on touring models because the chassis rail dimensions arent suitable for a Jtech suspension module. What you have is the single option standard suspension for your type of van ... plus an inappropriate but free sticker.

You'll just get crickets, odd looks and sideways glances from Jayco on this one.