JTECH air

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
So it can level a van side to side - surely it wouldn't be hard to take it a step further and offer some front/rear leveling (control 4 air lines instead of 2).

next incorporate a level sensor in the van (with the option for calibration as Jayco QC doesn't guarantee it is mounted level)

Then make it and option on all models and bang - no more leveling ramps for the most part.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You could just fit an air jack on the draw bar @Macca_75 and there's your fire an aft lift............a retro fit of bags actually wouldn't be that difficult...
When they get a leak they certainly are a pain, one side goes and you fall out if bed.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
You could just fit an air jack on the draw bar @Macca_75 and there's your fire an aft lift............a retro fit of bags actually wouldn't be that difficult...
When they get a leak they certainly are a pain, one side goes and you fall out if bed.
Its actually a complex and difficult job to retro fit, and the costs of doing it are "national debt" kinda scary. A mate of mine had his independant coils sprung van converted as a prototype by a chassis manufacturer developing a system to retro fit commercially, designed of the fly with every moving part replaced and fixed mounts relocated ... basically a complete rebuild.

Had I not seen it, like you I would have thought it was a relatively simple swap.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Maybe so @Crusty181 - but imagine when the airbags are already fitted. I can't see why/how it would be much harder to design a "self levelling" component on it. Then it's just a matter of manually dropping the stabilisers (and yeap you can buy of the shelf retro fitted units to do this automatically as well). But a few DC motors to auto wind down to motors to a pre-determined torque amount couldn't be that much again.

At the quantity Jayco would be selling these, the unit price would surley drop especially when fitted at the factory on new vans only.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Maybe so @Crusty181 - but imagine when the airbags are already fitted. I can't see why/how it would be much harder to design a "self levelling" component on it. Then it's just a matter of manually dropping the stabilisers (and yeap you can buy of the shelf retro fitted units to do this automatically as well). But a few DC motors to auto wind down to motors to a pre-determined torque amount couldn't be that much again.

At the quantity Jayco would be selling these, the unit price would surley drop especially when fitted at the factory on new vans only.
If the coil mount plates are big enough, and the range of travel clear of rub points, I presume the retro fitting would be pretty simple.

Some higher end motor homes have self leveling mechanical stabilising legs, so thats a large step toward self leveling the airbags

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I suppose it would depend on the set up of the suspension bits, getting the whole thing to work in harmony probably be a pain...................On a motor home I can see the sense in air jack stab legs, mate has a big 4WD job with bells and whistles and cost about the same as my house it certainly needs them but for a van, a lot of expense and weight for a couple of minute job......
So where do they shave the weight for these bags, compressor and other gizmos, they really have buggerall load now and thats ignoring the compliance plate BS, soon a decent size van will need an F250 to tow it, or are we there already.

With enough things to break already on a van I don't need anything extra.........I wonder what the resale value would be on a 5 yr old van with 5 yr old air bags holding it up, might be some bargains for a handy fella.

Reactions: bigcol

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
Another gimmick when you look at them they are very poorly protected from foreign objects shooting up from the road and also staking when offroad.

Reactions: Drover

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Another gimmick when you look at them they are very poorly protected from foreign objects shooting up from the road and also staking when offroad.
Currently only fitted to touring models I think it said so offroad (at least for current intended use) isn't an issue. I guess you could get something on the black stuff, but it could jst as easy damage any part of the under carriage)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Many a road kill has ripped the air lines out and heaps of other stuff so just as obstacle ridden as dirt.....

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
[QUOTE="Crusty181, post: 187466, member: 17"
Some higher end motor homes have self leveling mechanical stabilising legs, so thats a large step toward self leveling the airbags[/QUOTE]

There is also a self leveling system for Airbag suspension such as the Tiffan Motor Home system, it is basically a controller with manual or automatic leveling, provided your inside the limits. It works very well.

Reactions: Crusty181

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
This system is designed by the airbag man and been an option for well over a year. Seems was the brain child of the previous Jayco GM and has lost favor with current.

A retro fit kit from airbag man is available for the jtech suspension . It’s about $2k for the kit as a simple manual valve system. Add another $2 k for remote , tank , compressor etc. the modifications needed are a upper airbag mount welded to the spring seat. A new bumpstop welded to the a arm and the lower shock mount cut off and new one welded lower. I’d say a days labor taking it easy.

The airlines if run properly would be more protected than you brake cables Jayco leave flapping in the breeze.

The bellow airbags would take some punchering imo. There much heavier than the balloons you install inside the springs on a fourbie. These are the same as truck airbags only smaller. FYI you can get bellow airbags down to 3” diameter and are used in machines and automation. Very hardy.

When we move delicate machines (X-ray systems) we stipulate airbag trucks (most anyway)

Done right it should be a step up again from coils.

Cruisemaster have done air for years , be a lot more popular except only issue is $$$$$ as an option .

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
These are the type of airbags used. You can see how heavy duty they are.

Airbag conversions have been popular on a few 4x4s over the years too . Again a big dollar conversion.

168F5D18-B326-4672-8BA3-40D08279368B.jpeg

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I love air bag suspension, the way it rides, the way its adjustable for different loads and in a van the ease in leveling side to side when parked. So that being said I have ordered the Airbag man jtech air bag retrofit kit to fit my Jayco basestation outback.
I am still waiting for the kit to arrive but tonight i removed the coil springs, locators, bump stops and shocks to make way for the air bags.

factory Jtech before removal
20180807_200611.jpg

parts from oneside removed
20180807_212147.jpg

will post more as i do more.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Following this @Base23 , plan on doing it in a month or so. What control did you go for ?
I was thinking to go wirless and that may have been eaiser to install (Would not need to run any air lines or power cables inside van) but you would still need to mount pressure gauge somewhere.
With the wireless system you would still need to be looking at the pressure gauge when setting the ride height so I thought I might as well just use paddle valves that are next to the gauge.