JS4910's SC1758-1OB

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Righto folks time for a quick update on the van now it has around 2000km's under it's belt and 10 nights spent under it's roof.

I'll probably try to do this in some sort of bullet or point format to save my rambling off on a different tangent half way through things:apologetic::apologetic::apologetic:

Overall we are super impressed with the whole package and to my surprise have had virtually zero issues and I have been checking for all the common one's as I was expecting one or two to pop up while we were away, but nothing to report, and we tried everything so more than pleased.

HWS, worked brilliantly on gas and 240, the convenience of doing the lunch dishes on the side of the road just great, although we only did it twice when we had more than a small pile, otherwise they waited till we set up at night. External shower was good but could do with a longer hose and maybe some more pressure although this would use water quicker. The pop up shower tent is OK but I had to google how to fold them up just before it was to take a one way trip in the scrub>:(

Waeco, just worked a charm, run on the batteries while travelling and never missed a beat even with temps in the high 30's nudging 40 one day, kept the frozen stuff rock hard and the cold stuff just right whether we were driving or camped or CP'd up. The only issue we had was self inflicted, firstly my darling wife closed the door with the top door shelf lid up and caught it on the fridge frame and cracked the corner of the cover, not real happy I scowled a bit about it, but not 2 days later I actually snapped the whole thing off doing the same thing but with daddy force, still trying to live that one down.:behindsofa: It's more of a design fault as the cover doesn't drop back down by itself and in the up position it doesn't clear the top of the inner fridge case when you close the door, as I really found out. I don't think i'll bother replacing it.

Beds, we got used to the smaller sized main despite having a king at home, however it was a bit hard so we picked up a memory foam topper from IKEA and it transformed it:clap2: despite having the baby in with us a few nights. Kids were happy in their bunks and I even spent one night successfully in the top bunk.

The roof A/C was a godsend in the hot humid conditions and had no trouble getting the temperatures down even with the vinyl pop top and as long as the fan wasn't on high the noise levels were fine. I will be adding 12V Sirroco fans for bush camps with no 240V power though.

The dinette table didn't fall off but I did notice one of the screws was sitting a bit higher than the others, so will give that a bit of attention when I get back home.

No issues with the water tanks when on mains and no leaks either, and believe me it was the first thing I went hunting for as soon as I connected the hose up. The sink drain was a bit slow but it probably had more to do with the slight uphill run of the sullage hose to the drain. Flickmixer is the bomb and so much like home it just aint funny.

Solar panels just worked, never at any stage did we have a power issue, even running the fridge and lights etc for a couple of days off grid, and as a bonus I've found out they are actually still inputting to the batteries to keep them tip top while the cover is on the van.

Fusion unit was great and the flexibility of int and ext sound was good, even the bluetooth paired with the wifes Iphone at night for the small kids background sleeping music, screen was a bit bright but there is probably an adjustment I haven't looked up yet.

TV, I didn't go with the Jayco unit and the one I bought is fantastic, will even run our 1TB HDD's for movies etc and picture quality was great, only issue was it doesn't have AV outputs to run to the stereo, but I used an AUX cable from the headphone jack to the Fusion unit and wallah all perfect through the speakers. Being unfixed it was handy to position anywhere we wanted around the van to suit the needs, even outside on the picnic table. The antenna was excellent and produced a perfect picture no matter where we were, even better than the FIL's big mast when we were at his place.

Microwave above the fridge was a great idea, it's a good height and a lot safer getting hot items out rather than bending down below the stove, and well out of reach of the small people too.

Cupboards, we have too many.......................lol, didn't even go close to filling all the storage we have. None of the drawers broke and all the latches still works, I'm a bit perplexed by this as I was sure at least one should give us trouble but all worked fine.

All the external features are great and just love how quick the rollout awning is to setup, even used it to shade on a couple of lunch stops. Gas bayonet was great and we had a couple of BBQs with the weber, the rear locker is just about perfect as I can fit 3 x fold up camp chairs, two roll up ally tables, the awning floor and privacy screen, pegs etc

And it doesn't leak, we had a day of rain with some heavy downpours as well as travelling in some rain and dry as nun's on the inside.

I'm not sure how much thought and engineering Jayco put into their chassis and suspension combo's but this one just works, it is so stable and sure footed on All road surfaces it was putting the poor Pajero to shame, it really instills great confidence in towing and would be the best thing I've ever towed, it will only be bettered now I have upgrade the Pajero suspension to keep up with the van.

So overall we couldn't be happier in every aspect, and at first service the list of issues will be very short at only 3 items that I have found, although the lights/stereo issue may have rectified itself as I cant remember it doing it while we were away.

Problems,
One of the reading lights has a split flexible stem, it was like it when we picked it up and I noticed it when we got home the first time.
The Awning light used to mute (99%) the radio but I'm not sure it's still doing it.
One of the main bed gas struts pops off it's ball mount occasionally

And that is it!

I was expecting a lot more as some of the issues are so common I feel cheated I didn't have them, you know it sort of doesn't feel right, but it does go to show that Jayco can put them together right if all the planets align at the right time............................lol

I know you only came here for the pics, so here's a couple and I must really try to get more next time we are out.

Lunch on the road, it is just so easy with the kids and NO bloody McDonalds!!!!

15747583_10211473182449971_4258045804653043234_n.jpg

Set up at the FIL's block

15823511_10211473185010035_7610065336228226812_n.jpg

15747907_10211473185370044_6336350727488287567_n.jpg

Xmas time

15823200_10211473187570099_4047813162516481605_n.jpg

That Santa bloke is sneaky, how did he get in and leave all these presents (He's actually sneakier than you think and hid everything under the bottom bunk....................hahahahahahha)

15726208_10211473187890107_6219824691109648926_n.jpg

First Xmas, main bed has multiple roles, including present unwrapping table

15822890_10211473187210090_1577269869426573078_n.jpg

Caravan park life, not too bad I must say

15781540_10211493178509860_2525787063421582020_n.jpg

All home. clean and tucked away, thanks to @gspy4u it works a treat Jim.

15781012_10211473184410020_8911415136972254686_n.jpg

Things I want to change, not many really, I definitely will be putting a toolbox on the drawbar like triton17's so I dont have to keep putting the weber under the main bed, and will be adding some underbody protection for hoses etc and some 12V outlets throughout both in and out, probably a stonestomper and most importantly use it OFTEN.:first:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Great writeup and that's awesome that you have no issues to speak of. Mine is very similar in that my list won't take much for them to fix when I take it back next month.

Reactions: JS4910 and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What a great read I was smiling, having a chuckle all the way thru, check the cir clip is pushed in on your gas strut.......In the fullness of time you may want to give your drain hoses are refurbish, not just a Jayco thing either redoing them to get a better run soon gets them sorted.

Reactions: bigcol and JS4910

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
What a great read I was smiling, having a chuckle all the way thru, check the cir clip is pushed in on your gas strut.......In the fullness of time you may want to give your drain hoses are refurbish, not just a Jayco thing either redoing them to get a better run soon gets them sorted.

I have seen the stupid 90deg bend just below the basin, it's on the hit list don't worry.

I was suspecting the same with the gas strut but the clip is fine and it doesn't always do it, so suspecting it may be damaged or enlarged at the socket for the pin from a rough install, didn't really bother to have a good look other than make sure the little clip was on.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That 90 deg bend is a curse, I lashed out about $6 bought a straight drain and needed to add a 90 deg fitting, 75c green shed, a bit further along the pipe to miss a draw and the sink drained that fast it would suck the dish cloth down the hole, I was impressed.........if the clip is on then it's time to get technical, zip tie maybe 2.

Take plenty of pics for later on, I mean much later on, as when you laugh with the kids about things about this trip they will look at you, they won't remember, it's a getting old thing................also proves they did enjoy your company once upon a time...lol,lol,lol.

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Take plenty of pics for later on, I mean much later on, as when you laugh with the kids about things about this trip they will look at you, they won't remember, it's a getting old thing................also proves they did enjoy your company once upon a time...lol,lol,lol.

Yeah I still struggle with that, sometimes I'm happily snapping away and then forget to take photos of some memorable moments, really must discipline myself to just take photos as these days it's so much easier being digital than what we used to face in the film developing days.
And yes they are fantastic records for the children, we used to have family slide nights when I was a kid to go back over all the adventures mum and dad used to take us on and I remember those nights fondly.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I have seen the stupid 90deg bend just below the basin, it's on the hit list don't worry.

I was suspecting the same with the gas strut but the clip is fine and it doesn't always do it, so suspecting it may be damaged or enlarged at the socket for the pin from a rough install, didn't really bother to have a good look other than make sure the little clip was on.
One of our struts does the same. I have just held it in place with the mighty cable tie till it goes back to the dealer.

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Well 3 months have gone in the blink of an eye and the van definately has NOT had enough use :hurt-41:

We did try last weekend for a sneaky 4 days away as we took the van in for it's first service at Warburtons Bundaberg and had booked into Bagara Beach from the Thursday till Sunday but a nasty gastro bug saw us visiting Bundaberg Base Hospital early Friday morning with Mum and the two smallest children (9mo and 5yo) succumbing to it's grip overnight.
A caravan is no place for 5 people when three of them are exploding from both ends, so we called it and scampered home Friday midday once we had some expulsion barriers in place.

The service was good at Warburtons, reasonably priced and they actually did things, even gave me a readout for the wheel alignment, apparently they do this or the new J-Tech suspension as it can settle after a few km's and get out of alignment. They also did a great job and fixed all but one of the warranty issues which is awaiting parts.

Currently no mods completed yet and no pics of the setup at Bagara as I was to occupied with buckets and towels to take photo's.

We are away again at the beginning of April for a week and a half down to Noosa for a wedding and an extra 9 days bludging at the beach, bring it on!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I found Warburtons very helpfull when just tyre kicking around their yard................Hope the next run goes a bit smoother.

Reactions: JS4910 and bigcol

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Looks like we are doomed ATM, trying to pack the van today as we are supposed to be leaving for Noosa tomorrow with a garden wedding to attend Saturday.

Current conditions thanks to TC Debbie are torrential sideways rain and winds around the 50kmh + mark, not sure how long this will last and then even if the roads will be open when we are able to leave tomorrow, couldn't get to work yesterday as the Dawson Hwy to Bilo was cut at Calliope River with about 2mt over the bridge and raging.

I suppose we will just wait and see, at least we didn't get tied up with the problems all the poor buggers around the Whitsundays and Mackay have and are still currently suffering.
17636986_10212326543823472_3901358517866155036_o.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I just looked at the radar, from rocky south was just one big blue/green blob.
Not pretty. We have had 135mm overnight and bucketing down now so the front lawn I topdressed a few weeks back is bare again and my topsoil is looking after some of my neighbours down the street. Still, we are sitting inside, power on, no chance of flooding here so I feel somewhat guilty when so many others have nothing. Just have to do as we are told and stay off the roads. :rain::rain::rain::rain: