JohngQld's 16.49.1 Touring

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Thanks to the guys at Kakadu Annexes, this is the first picture of our 16.49.1 at the holding yard in Brisbane, taken while they were measuring it for the annexe. Delivery is this Friday so not long now.

JG1649_zpsuyqewmwk.jpg

The 50mm lift is noticeable as the body line is just above the rim so we shouldn't have any problems with the rear dragging. The drop jacks are also visible so all good there.
First job is to put in the carpet, I know that isn't everyone's choice, but we had it in the Hawk and wouldn't have it any other way. It will be neoprene backed marine carpet, so if we remove it years to come, the vinyl floor will still be in perfect nick. Much better suited to our 4 legged traveller as well.
Second job will be to install the battery and associated wiring. Next is the LPG Gas detector, thanks to @Holden_man. That will leave the 200 watt solar panel and regulator.
With the Waeco 140 litre fridge, there is enough room to relocate the microwave to the cupboard space above the fridge from under the kitchen bench. Might look at that one a bit later.
John

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks to the guys at Kakadu Annexes, this is the first picture of our 16.49.1 at the holding yard in Brisbane, taken while they were measuring it for the annexe. Delivery is this Friday so not long now.

JG1649_zpsuyqewmwk.jpg

The 50mm lift is noticeable as the body line is just above the rim so we shouldn't have any problems with the rear dragging. The drop jacks are also visible so all good there.
First job is to put in the carpet, I know that isn't everyone's choice, but we had in in the Hawk and wouldn't have it any other way. It will be neoprene backed marine carpet, so if we remove it years to come, the vinyl floor will still be in perfect nick. Much better suited to our 4 legged traveller as well.
Second job will be installed the battery and associated wiring. Next is the LPG Gas detector, thanks to @Holden_man. That will leave the 200 watt solar panel and regulator.
With the Waeco 140 litre fridge, there is enough room to relocate the microwave to the cupboard space above the fridge from under the kitchen bench. Might look at that one a bit later.
John
Nice. I like the carpet idea, but bit put off by the need for a vacuum to keep it clean

Reactions: McKenzie

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Have to agree @17triton. We had a small straw broom that we gave the carpet in the Hawk a quick sweep and found that was more than enough. I think having the matting in the annexe means you bring less inside also. In any case, the only place it is held down is under the entrance door trim, so if the need was there, roll it up, take it out and clean it.
John

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Nice. I like the carpet idea, but bit put off by the need for a vacuum to keep it clean

We use the bunnings rubber backed tile and just sweep them Crusty.
You must be chomping at the bit now!

we also have the carpet (green shed, 2' square jobbies)
give it a sweep out with the broom daily when away (2 mins tops)
when we get home, vacuum the lot out

mucho betterer
no cold feet in the mornings
looks nice and neat
and
looks after the (cheap) vinyl they use on the floors

Reactions: Delano and dagree

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Well, after placing our order in June, tomorrow is delivery day. We've done lots of reading, measuring, having the front fence modified to suit, and the Milenco Grand Aeros are in the Grand Cherokee ready to go. The guys from Kakadu fitted the annexe today so when we roll out of the dealership, it's complete. I started 3 weeks leave today so I have time to do what I need and time to get away.
John

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Well, after placing our order in June, tomorrow is delivery day. We've done lots of reading, measuring, having the front fence modified to suit, and the Milenco Grand Aeros are in the Grand Cherokee ready to go. The guys from Kakadu fitted the annexe today so when we roll out of the dealership, it's complete. I started 3 weeks leave today so I have time to do what I need and time to get away.
John
Sounds like you got all bases covered . Hope it all goes well enjoy

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
The new Expanda is now at home and we couldn't be happier. The handover went really well as Peter, also showed us over our Hawk back in 2012. Bonus at the end is the 'I love My Jayco pack' that Brisbane Camperland are doing which includes 2 stubby holders, 2 caps, 2 key rings, a picnic blanket (i think the labby will claim that one) and a BBQ cookbook. They go a long way to make you feel like a valued customer.

My plans of installing the carpet are now on hold as there is a label below the fire extinguisher saying not to leave any rubber backed products on the vinyl floor for any length of time. Going to investigate this further before buying the carpet.

And yes, the Jeep towed it very, very well.

ExpDelivery_zpsmvs6wp8q.jpg

Last edited:

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
The Power Distribution board, battery, solar regulator and gas detector are now all installed. The power board is removable so any future changes can be done with it sitting horizontal on top of the frame of the dinette. The battery base is 19mm and helps spread the weight nearly betwwen two chassis cross members. The is a 40 x 25 frame around the base of the battery so it's not going to shift a millimetre. Lower right corner of the power board is a 70 Amp breaker.
The black box with the two terminals at the top is my Arduino based Bluetooth Voltage, Current and Fridge temperature module. I can connect to it with my phone and check on the state of things, good while on the road as well. The silver connector is the fridge temp sensor input, running the cable to the fridge is still on the to do list, hence it's just tied up at present. With every thing on, I got a maxium discharge of 15.5 Amps, so all is good.
While under the van, I got a picture of the chassis packer to give the 50 mm of lift.

Just leaves the solar panel to mount and connect.

BatteryBox.jpeg GasdETECTOR2.JPEG powerDistBoard.jpeg RegSwitchHeadunit.jpeg ScreenshotExpandaApp.jpg SuspensionPacker.jpeg

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
We did our first trip with the Expanda of 4 nights on the Sunshine Coast. Really pleased with the whole setup and just how much easier it was than the our Hawk. And then there's the storage space, no more living out of bags and shifting things from one place to another. The Kakadu Annexe has the long wall in two pieces and zipped in the middle, really makes easy work of the thing. Despite some things I've read, everything worked as it should. Tucking the sheets and blanket under the mattress is a bit of an exercise., something to look at.
The panel fencing around the front is 900 mm panels from Bunnings which used to go on the roof rack of the Hawk. Can't do that here so we put them on the Jeep's roof racks, never again. The noise and humming at highway speeds was something you don't need. They're getting modified today and should sit inside on the floor. The number of enquiries I had over the four days about the fence, makes me think there's a market out there for something similar for people with four legged travellers.
All in all, totally impressed with the whole thing.
expanda21.jpeg

John

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Think a fence like that might be good for my 2 legged travellers too:agnes_overjoyed::agnes_happy::agnes_sad:

Reactions: bigcol

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Over the past two weeks, I have finished mounting the solar panel and wired the temp sensor for the fridge to my Bluetooth sender unit. While I was waiting for the van to be delivered, I ordered the solar panel and mountings online. I got a 200 watt panel as the small price difference over the standard 150 watt unit made it worthwhile. For the extra 50 watts however its about 120mm longer and wider than the unit Jayco use. The problem is there is only 800mm between the edge of the hatch and the corner of the roof. After looking at alternatives I decided to mount it across the front. I recall seeing the PVC mountings which are 510mm long and form a spoiler at the front, keeping strong currents out from under the panel. These are sold under the Powertech banner at Jaycar and a few other distributions. It wasn't until I screwed the mountings to the panel that I found there was 5mm in height between these and the ones I bought online. In the end I had to shelve the corner and mid pieces I bought on line and buy the rest of the Powertech bits to keep the height the same. Ouch that hurt! The ones I purchased on line were a better quality unit as well.
After screwing the mounts to the panel, I placed it where it was to go and drew a pencil line around each piece. Took them off the panel then using Sikaflex, stuck down each one individually. Left them for a week then added the panel. It's not going anywhere, I can assure you.

The final week of my leave we went back up the Sunshine Coast. This trip we fitted the Kakadu Porch to the front, its gives more shade and shelters you and the BBQ from the rain. We have the rope guide on both the front and back walls so we can use it at either end. Incredible piece of kit.
Did I save any by doing the battery and solar panel myself, I think not, but it's done to my standard, so I guess that makes it ok.

KakaduPorch.jpg PanelMounted1.jpg Panelmounted2.jpg PanelMounts.jpg

John

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Back when we had the Hawk, we probably ate inside a handful of times but I remember it being comfortable with room to move. The dinette in the Expanda seems a bit more compact and as you are sitting there, the table is almost upon you. You can slide it across the other side but that makes even less room for the person sitting opposite.
Time to make the table narrower. As it's laminated foam, I didn't think you could cut it or modify it. With keeping the weight in mind, I made a new table top from 9 mm ply on a 44 mm by 19 mm pine framework. Managed to get a 1300 by 1300 sheet of laminex from a southside store for $30 not the same pattern but it doesn't look out of place neither. All done and now so much more comfortable, you can also sit side on to get things in and out of the microwave.
I was talking to a guy who got their new Journey last year and found the same thing. New table top made and much happier.

tablenew.JPG Tableold.jpg