Chassis John Guest locking clips - do you use them?

John Guest locking clips - do you use them?

• Yes

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Hi Everyone,
I am interesting in how many people use the little locking clips for John Guest fittings. I have never used them in the past, but for whatever reason - a little voice is telling me to bite the bullet, buy 50 of them to get me started, and work through the van securing every fitting with a locking clip.

So over to you - do you use them? Note: not "do you intend to use them in the future", but do you actually use them now. I reckon* that probably 85 or more % of people will come back with "no" - but I could be way off-base, hence asking the question.

My reason for asking? Dunno really - I've never experienced a failure of a JG fitting - never had a hose come out. But the little voice in my head...

Thankyou for looking at this poll, and thank you if you choose to respond.

(Note: I selected "chassis" as the prefix, because even though misleading, there is no category for "plumbing")

Reactions: Drover

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
When we first took delivery of our van we had some Jayco features, including water leaks.

In fixing the leaks I noticed there were no locking clips and intended to buy a pack and fit them.

That was 2 1/2 years ago and I never got around to fitting them.

Have not had an issue and have connected and disconnected a few of them multiple times without any leaks or problems, so haven't bothered.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have not used them - although some do

I think it has more do to with the right fitting

if you use imperial pipe, with metric fitting - you will get a leak, and the clips with help solve it but making it tighter

I know when I extended the hose for the tap on the draw bar, I could only get metric hose (10mmID/13.5mmOD) & imperial fittings (1/2")
no known leaks at this stage

I tried to use the "correct" metric fitting for the hose - and it pulled off without effort or locking onto the hose
(maybe the type of hose as well.............?)

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I should also add...................................

when the hose / pipe is first inserted, if it does not go through the O ring in the middle of the fitting - it will leak

pic for explanation only - this pic states Stainless Steel

but same same for plastic

FittingDesign JG.jpg

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @Doc as a precaution we fitted some of these to the washing machine pipes when I added it to the van just in case it leaked. Although happy to say with the roads we went over on the extended trip none of the pipes leaked, so as @bigcol implied above if it is fitted and pushed in correctly the first time you "should" be fine. :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When we got our 14.44 I redid the jumble of plumbing pipes, tidied them all up to make things flow better, I also had a bag of red circlips which I fitted to every single joiner as I didn't want anything to let go, nothing ever did and it's a precaution that I mean to do with Big Mal which by the way doesn't even have the collar/sleeve thing fitted in the end of the pipes, they are just pushed into the Guest fitting naked, so far no leaks, none have come loose or let go but I really must upgrade all the fittings......shop around though I have seen some places wanting $1 for a clip...

Reactions: bigcol and Doc

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I've never needed to use them but carry about 20.

Got them online ages ago ...cost around $12 for 20. Genuine article.

I reckon if the plumbing connections are going to fail, it will be somewhere remote so I may as well have some on hand.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Yeah, some of the prices I've seen are a little silly aren't they @Dobbie.

I went to a local agent the other day - they have a nice big tray full of them on the shelf. Normally we get totally hammered on prices down here on the south island, but this (normally expensive) agent was only charging 57c each - which I think is quite reasonable.

(In the end - the clips will get fitted. After all, we're not talking sheep stations - I figured I would buy 50 of them for the huge (*cough*) outlay of $28.50 - and will either run out part way through the job and have to buy a few more, or have a few spares at the end of the job. I figured it would make an interesting statistic though, in my sick mind, to see what others are doing in this regard)

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Mine are only for emergencies.....if things are working now, I can't see the point in doing a @Drover and reinventing the wheel. Imroving but still reinventing.

He likes doing that stuff...good on him and I'm very glad he does as we've all benefitted from his mucking around ...:o:o.....but I'm lazy. ....and know just enough to be able to locate a gushing, leaking pipe and put a clip on it.

If I can find it, that is. Not always guaranteed.

The clip, not the pipe. I might see some water which will lead me to it.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thank you @Dobbie, I think............Big Mal will probably not get clipped as his water pipes need to be shafted as well and since The Tardis (the 14.44.3 ) I seem to recall needed about 134 of the little red clips, I may be wrong but it was heaps, I have spare joiners, spare hose and other plumbing stuff to effect any roadside repairs if needed...............I know I really should but I could buy a lot of beer for something I may never need......now that I mozzed myself might stop at Green RV next trip to Gympie.................Keep wandering, sorry @Doc.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
No locking clips added to any of our fittings as yet not required..... Now that I have "mozzed" myself like @Drover has I will look at getting some "Legris" brand fittings. Have used them for work and in 20+ years haven't had one leak or let go.

Just need to confirm that they do them in the correct size to suit the van's plumbing!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I only added them to where there was the chance that something could bump the fitting and Loosen it. Like under the bed and kitch, Highly unlikely I think but worth the 20cents.

@bigcol post above is more important to make sure their fitted right and no strain. I also think it's important to make sure you have the little male sleeve inserted inside to support the tube, I noticed on the expanda they had omitted this on the front tap when I moved it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dobbie and Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I also think it's important to make sure you have the little male sleeve inserted inside to support the tube, I noticed on the expanda they had omitted this on the front tape when I moved it.

same same when I moved mine, but I think because it is a larger wall thickness - that may be why they have not used them

I know they dont use them in the SMC air fittings (which are the same)

Reactions: Drover and dagree