Jayco Quality ?

oldblade

Mar 20, 2011
Hi all I know this is my first post so a little about me and my dilemma

We own a 2008 jayco swan outback with all the fruit
But the quality is rubbish from the electrics to the timbers used well most things anyway

We accept this as they are cheap... you get what you pay for

We are now looking to upgrade as one thing that has driven us nuts is worrying about the weather and when ever I go camping it rains. If you have to pack up and it's raining the beds get wet in the swan and you have to put it up within 48 hours to let it dry out.
We have also found the canvas used on the head and feet area is very pourous and as me and my wife are not short we normally wake up to a wet pillow and wet fit.

So here is why I'm on an expanda site
we are looking at the expanda just wondering do you have the same water issues as above and how do you combat it if you do ?

The quality issues is really not to big of an issue as I just fix the problems myself but it would be nice to get a van that everything is straight. fyi I went to jayco yesterday and found a heap of issues with the vans that were on sites from screw heads thats had been destroyed to locks that had not been put on straight so every time I walked past it the cupboard door opened.... These I can fix just wanted to make this statement before people started defending the quality.

My real questions
How does the expnada perform in the rain ?
How comfy is the bed we have an innerspring but we also put foam on top but doesn't look like we can do this with the expanda and the matress is split in to pieces ?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Mate, great questions.

We currently own an 09 Hawk but have ordered an Expanda 14.44-4 so i can't answer your questions from experience, but keen to see the answers from other expanda owners.

Welcome to the forum.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday oldblade, welcome to the site!

I am on my second Expanda and possibly moving onto my third. I just wish they would stop brining out new models :)!

For the price you get them at they hold up exceptionally well.

We just came back from 5 weeks up in QLD over the christmas break got caught in the flooding on the way up and had a heck of a trip up and down the coast and where at points cut of.

In the 17.56.2 it was unbelievably easy to tow even through the roughest terrain pot holes, water crossing etc. But at night it was great to be able to pull up at a rest stop and bed down in a nice comfy "dry" bed. Even if we packing up in the wet the can does not get wet to much if you have the privacy screens on and you can fold it in a certain way to keep the bed dry. We did this on the way up and after 2 or 3 nights stopping and constant downpour our bed was dry every night. The only trouble we had was sleeping at night our pillows touched the sides of the canvas and got wet / damp and we didn't realise so they got mouldy. I am looking at some perspex or something to put behind the pillows for the really heavy stuff but not to fussed about it right now.

We also stayed at Lennox Head right on the beach and got hammered for about 5 days with a full gale blowing everyone pulled up stumps rolled in the awnings and battered down.

We had the awning out and couldn't even really tell the wind was howling inside. the van.

The interior finish I must admit on the jayco's leaves a big question mark for me but it looks superb and just requires some TLC otherwise it can go south quickly.

The one important factor is dealer back up, you can stop in at any Jayco dealer doesn't matter where you got it and you can get your van serviced, fixed under warranty etc. This is a huge plus and not many of the cheaper brands can compete with this.

In terms of the demo vans keep in mind these vans have at least 10 families or more go through them a day with kids running a muck its not surprising some of them have faults. At my dealer we got a comment of how well behaved my kids where and we asked the question "What do you mean" he explained that most kids would be pulling open draws, swinging on cupboards, yanking at the shower hoses etc etc. It makes it hard to keep them in 100% nick. I know they are demos and should be but also understand why myself. On a side note my kids got some lollies for not doing the above :) now every yard they go to they are very patient!

Good luck in the hunt and let us know how you get on!

oldblade

Mar 20, 2011
Thank you expanda it sounds like the expanda still have the wet head problem but you have just had a brilliant idea. I might change it a little if i buy one. If I attached pvc to the inside of the privacy screen using Velcro to the hard lid then at the bottom of the privacy screen NO water will get to the bed canvas to get wet.

On the topic of the demo van the items i was talking about were factory issues not kids banging and crashing around, kids don't cary screwdrivers to destroy screw heads and remove locks and reinstall them on an angle

really I am not bagging them out i own one but i know quality is not a strong point

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I agree that quality is not Jayco's strong point, but as you said earlier, you get what you pay for. One of the first things I did when I got mine home was to change the screws to slightly longer in all the locks and where the hinges mount to frame. I tried to change the screws from hinge to door but the curve of the door panel meant the longer screw protruded. I also painted the under floor with bitumous paint to increase water proofing of the timber floor. Like you say, minor things.

Then again, have a look at Matty4's post on Member Intrductions. He took the van through some very rough roads and was very happy with its performance despite some problems.

We had 3 weeks in Sydney in January where it rained quite a bit but we have the privacy screens and had no problems with wet pillow or feet. I feel, as long as you are aware of the shortcomings, you wont have a problem, and my wife likes your idea of PVC on the screen.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum

Paul

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
We got ours off the lot, and we are really happy with it!
We,ve had the van set up since we got it home and the bed ends have stayed dry as a bone, heaps of driving rain too.
We had a problem with the fridge, so the dealer simply installed a new one, problem solved!
If you are thinking of buying a van and your not far from Orange (NSW), go and see Greg. Greg will sell you one. After he has sold it to you, you will be supported by Tom or Paul, great advice and not just peddling there wears.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Well we've had our Expanda since September, and nearly every trip it has rained at some stage, including this weekend we returned a day early from a horrendous weekend at Kiama (NSW) Moto Moto can attest to how bad it was, last night was torrential all night, we only have some minor seepage issues around the seems where the vinyl joins the canvas at the base of the zippered widows. think this will be solved with a little more seasoning of canvas or applying a sealant

When we had the Swan, if it was a wet pack up we cover the beds with plastic tarps, never had a wet bed.

This is my 3rd Jayco and I think the quality of a lot of things have improved with overall fit and finish, while mine is not without issue it's all being sorted without question. though underneath plumbing could be better.

oldblade

Mar 20, 2011
If we go for the expand a I went and had a closer look at them yesterday and my PVC idea will work perfectly

FYI seasoning the canvas makes no difference as me and my wife's feet and pillows touch the canvas when this occurs we get wet in our swan I have seasons sprayed and waxed no difference

Anyway making the bed looks like a pain in the swan we leave the matress protector on but doesn't look like you can do
that with the expanda and do you fall down the cracks of the mattress as it's in pieces we also put a foam layer over the innerspring how do you do this in an expanda

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
The mattress sections on the foam mattress are sewn on the top side so there is actually no gap to fall down although I am not sure on the innerspring. I find the foam very comfortable and it would be even more so with a lambswool or egg shell foam top.

If you are touching the canvas, then you're right, no amount of seasoning will stop water seeping at the contact points so I would go with your idea of the PVC, bearing in mind that if it extends down from the lid, it will block air flow into the bed area.