Chassis Jayco jack issue

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Was about to change a tyre on our 16.49-3OB, jacked the van up, with the jack on concrete, the van got to required height when it slipped sideways and dropped to the ground. The Jayco jack had twisted at the joint. Good thing I had an alternative to use.

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

Reactions: Jags73

Max Wallace

Jul 5, 2015
Blue Mountains
I just don't understand why Jayco, and other caravan makers for that matter, insist on putting those wind-up scissor jacks in as emergency equipment when they are not only incapable of lifting the wheel clear of the ground, but are also dangerous. Please, if you have one, dump it and get a hydraulic bottle jack that is suited to the van axle weight.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Did you have the van hooked up to a car and chock the other wheels, hope you didn't get hurt.
Yes mate, I put the stabiliser legs down before jacking aswell, so something can catch the van in this exact case. Was on flat surface too. Biggest problem is these jacks and the design of their use is crap on an outback where the chassis is raised.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Bugger!

I have a feeling @Drover had some strong words to say about Jayco,jacks...I seem to remember he advised toss them out and replace with a bottle Jack?

I'm sure he'll check it out.

Good words of warning, methinks.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
Yes mate, I put the stabiliser legs down before jacking aswell, so something can catch the van in this exact case. Was on flat surface too. Biggest problem is these jacks and the design of their use is crap on an outback where the chassis is raised.
I had to use mine a few months ago to change a flat and had no problems.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I have removed my scissor jack and replaced it with a 4000 kg bottle jack purchased from Masters with 40% discount..
Good move @chartrock and glad no injuries occured (Apart from maybe some pride ;) if anyone was watching)
The only time I used my Jayco jack was to try and lift it once when I didn't have leveling ramps and ended up using a couple of pieces of firewood to drive up on... Lets just say it is now sitting in our shed gathering dust. The Prado's bottle jack and a couple of timber packers now does the job if needed!

OH and haven't you got to the 70% discount at Masters over there yet :behindsofa: Finally found a bonus in "Wait Awhile"

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We tried to order a van, specifying no Jack as we want one that works properly.

Guess what, they tell us they have to supply a jack but I'm puzzled as they don't extend far enough, often are under rated, and "are not fit for use".

I'm over all thes arguments, debates or whatever. I just want something that works as required...and is safe to use.

@crackacoldie ....glad you're safe.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Whenever scissor jacks are mentioned the first thing I say is bin the bloody things, they are killers, get a bottle jack.........don't even wind the thing, just remove from van or car and drop in wheely bin...........the pic in thr OP above shows why.
Also don't use a hi lift jack on your van unless you really know what your doing, you could rip the biggest flaming hole in the wall in seconds.............enough from me.

PS: I lift from axle not at chassis.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Also don't use a hi lift jack on your van unless you really know what your doing,

second most unstable and dangerous Jack available

with the scissor jack, its not a matter of if it will, but when it will

with the hi lift / kangaroo / whatever else they call them - they are down right dangerous, more broken wrists from them than anything else on the market

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep. Bottle Jack for me.

Can anyone recommend the ideal extended height?

And rated for how many tons??

I've considered the trailermate or the boss but want to keep things as simple as possible and easy to stow...and relatively light as I'm over lifting heavy things.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
Yep. Bottle Jack for me.

Can anyone recommend the ideal extended height?

And rated for how many tons??

I've considered the trailermate or the boss but want to keep things as simple as possible and easy to stow...and relatively light as I'm over lifting heavy things.

Height will depend on weather you have an on or off road van.