Jayco First Service - Advise on when to do it.

Feb 1, 2012
Hi all, a question. Jayco recommend to have the first service at 1000ks. We are heading to Tasmania in September and will be lucky to have run up 500ks prior to leaving home.

I am not sure what to do with the about the first service.

1. Should I have it done prior to going away even if I have only travelled 500ks?

2. Try and leave it and get it done in Melbourne or Albury on the Friday before we need to get on the big boat on the Saturday? (just means some shuffling around of work etc)?

3. Leave it till I get to Tasi and get it done in Hobart will probably have done about 1800ks by then??

Dealer advise is get it done at 500ks and then again at 500ks??

Thoughts and advise from experience please.

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I would probably get it checked before you go. The only reason I say this is that my a mates father just took delivery of a new Jayco van (17.56) drove up from Newcastle to Sunshine coast . Had the van serviced on the Sunshine Coast and then headed out towards Longreach where a spring retaining bolt fell out and his axle twisted back under the van ( Says a lot about the service check on the Sunshine coast also) The van was picked up and taken to nearest town where bolt was replaced and axle put back in line. I believe the van has some under body damage but is ok to keep going on his holiday and will be fixed by jayco when he gets home.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
My first 1000km clocked up while travelling. By the time I had it done it was around 3000km. With such a long wait to get a booking, we would've needed to book before we took possession of the van. After the shake down, I was satisfied it would be ok to go past the 1000.