Jayco Expanda Poptop 17.56-2

Lenny

Apr 24, 2011
Ballarat
Hi all,

this is our first time here. We currently own an 1981 Corronet Caravan that has served us well. However, we are now looking to upgrade some what.

We have 3 boys and were thinking that the Jayco Expanda Poptop 17.56-2 would suit our needs.

Would love to know what others thoughts with both the pros and the cons? What extra's are a good idea?

Many thanks in advance.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, Lenny. I can't help you with that model, but there are plenty on here who can. I think most of them are away for the long weekend enjoying their vans.

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
We have ordered a 17.56.1 which should be delivered around September (long wait!!!). We liked the option of not having the shower / toilet as we really only stay in caravan parks. We are now selling our 1989 Jayco 90 series poptop (day / nighter with 3 bunks) so if anyone knows someone......

cheers
Sinko

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey Lenny, we have the 17.56.2 and love it!

Sitting in it right now typing this post actually looking at all the campers in tents recovering from the rain last night whilst I sip on a cappuccino and eat my pancakes! Ahh the life but its still camping as I am still under canvas :)....

We have two kids and the father in law with us and it is very comfortable with the double bunks and the spare double bed.....

My rig is here with some pics and the extras list we went for!

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/32-New-17.56.2-Jayco-Expanda-Outback

We are selling our one in a week or two once we return from the easter break and looking at an 18 footer. The 17" suits us fine but the 18" has more room for my boating gear. :)

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions let us know!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Lenny, we have the 17.56.2 and love it!

Sitting in it right now typing this post actually looking at all the campers in tents recovering from the rain last night whilst I sip on a cappuccino and eat my pancakes! Ahh the life but its still camping as I am still under canvas :)....

We have two kids and the father in law with us and it is very comfortable with the double bunks and the spare double bed.....

My rig is here with some pics and the extras list we went for!

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/32-New-17.56.2-Jayco-Expanda-Outback

We are selling our one in a week or two once we return from the easter break and looking at an 18 footer. The 17" suits us fine but the 18" has more room for my boating gear. :)

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions let us know!

Wow Expanda, how many rigs have you had in the last few years? Still looking for the right one hey?

Lenny, I love the 17 foot model, it looks perfect for 3-4 kids. Crawling through all the different models is half the fun. Good luck with your search. KC

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
With 3 kids the 17.56 will fill all your needs comfortably.
I guess the only decision you really need to make is whether or not to order the 17.56-2 with the shower/toilet or the -1 without it and have the extra storage.

We spent 3.5 months in ours last year with 3 kids and were glad we deleted the toilet and had extra cupboards installed!!

Not once did I wish I had the shower/toilet.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi Lenny,
We just had our 17.56-2 out on it's maden run and it was great.
We hadn't intended to use the shower and toilet although it was nice to be able to use them when the ammenities were not up to scratch.
I suppose it's a case of "you don't miss what you don't have" although the HWS and 2 x 80l water tanks is a must and are standard with the toilet version.
We are a bunch of 2+4 and haven't filled the storage we have so we haven't missed the storage we don't have.
It is all about having a "place for everything and everything in it's place".
Happy contemplating!!!

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I agree with Turtle.
The extra water tank and HWS are a godsend. We optioned them back into our van after deleting the shower/toilet.
We also optioned the external shower, which comes in handy for rinsing after a day at the beach (no more sand tracked into the van).

bella

Mar 26, 2011
I have just ordered a 17.56-1, have two sons one daughter and the hubby.
Personally having the toilet so close to where we sleep , prepare food and eat did not appeal to me at all, not to mention I go on holidays to get away from cleaning a toilet/shower.

:cool:

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
Hi bella,
We have ordered one too. What is the delivery date for yours?? Ours is September - but that seems like a long time.

cheers
Sinko

Lenny

Apr 24, 2011
Ballarat
Hi, we really appreciate all the fantastic advice. It certainly gives us food for thought. Our old Coronet has served us well. We had an accident a few years ago and even though our car and the car we hit had to be wrote off our trusty caravan managed to pull through upright and with minimal damage. We currently have a shower/toilet in the Coronet and would not like to be without them in the next. The thought of being able to go away and not put up the annexe everytime is a very appealing fact with the 17.56-2 and its amount of bed space.
Nearly 20 yrs ago we started off camping in a tent, then went to a camper trailer before getting the Coronet.The thought of buying a new modern caravan is appealing. Our old Coronet is quite heavy. In saying that, the day we sell her will be with mixed emotions, we have had some great times and memories in the Coronet.
Have a good day everyone!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I know what you mean. I sold my Hawk on the weekend and while it was very sad to see it go, i am also very excited about our new van coming.

bella

Mar 26, 2011
Hi Sinko,
We ordered ours on January 21st ( birthday present to myself, to share with the family), we had our pre-order sign off on 30th of March and it should be ready by the 20th of May, so if all goes to plan it will be four months from inital order to delivery. It's getting closer now so I am getting very antsy.
Bella