17' Series Jayco Expanda Advice

McMullensTrimming

Mar 29, 2016
esperance
Hi all you Expanda experts:)

Have recently sold our beloved Swan outback and looking to maybe head towards an expanda somewhere in near future.
I think the 17.56.2 suits us the best with the bunks and ensuite as we have 3 young boys, im not seeing a huge amount of the 2-4yo outback models around and every dealership i talk to tell me i have very little chance of finding 1. I have found a few on road models and im wondering how people find these compared to outback models in usability, resale etc. I will mainly stay in caravan parks and road travel around on weekends but do have alot of great national parks where i am and im unsure if these will handle gravel roads as well, will look into underslinging axles and maybe bigger tyres if possible, anyone done this?. Would be great to hear from people with this on road model and let me know possible advantages other than the obvious price and avaliablity of them for myself in WA
Cheers:)

Reactions: bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi, I can't help you with the 17, although I think there's one advertised on here in the for sale section, not sure of age though.
Good luck.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We had a 16' tourer (on road model) before the current 17'er @McMullensTrimming . Found it great for the blacktop and basic gravel roads. Under slinging is an option for clearance but just remember that the Outback has a stronger chassis, brakes rims/tyres etc. Quite a few people on here have done the under slinging on a tourer and no doubt will pop in and give you the info you're asking for.

As for resale I believe the OB would be better (As I said in your other post when we were looking 2-3 year old second hand ones were going for just $2K cheaper than new) But saying that we were made a good offer on the old 16' tourer when we advertised it and it sold withing 12 hours of placing the add. The old saying "It's worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it!"

Good luck with your search and might end up down your way for a trip later in the year :)

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
I have a 17.56.2 cruiser or highway model (whatever jay I call them this year lol) and it travels fine down all the dirt roads I've ever taken it on.

Drive to the conditions and you'll be fine. Mine isn't under slung and Sure I can't take it down 4x4 tracks. But the hairy ones I don't think I'd want the extra tonnage behind me anyways lol

Reactions: Tone

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We were looking for the same model initially secondhand and they are extremely hard to come by and when they come up for sale are sold within a day or two. The only ones you will find left online are either a scam or the model which has had the bunk removed and extra cupboards put in its place. And yes, the resale on the OB is extremely good, not much cheaper than a new model. We ended up going a new Starcraft to cut down on weight and cost. It meant we took a compromise on space and beds but works for us. Goodluck finding your new van.

Reactions: dagree

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Wow we talking the 17:56-2 ? There was a few for sale a little while ago. Have you tried advertising for one? But with most fairly current outbacks your better off bashing a dealer up and getting a new one. They really hold there value

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
Hi there, I have 17.56.2 toured and love the van, I have taken it on gravel unsealed roads and have not had a problem.
U have to drive to the conditions.
Best of luck

GrantEd

Jan 15, 2018
Adelaide
From what I have seen the 2 year old vans are priced very close to a new one. They are not like cars that lose value quickly. At that price point I’d get a new one.