18' Series Jayco Expanda 18.58-2 CL Leaking behind fridge

rambler_perth

Jul 30, 2017
Perth
G'day,

We are on our 3rd trip in our new 2017 Jayco (delivered Sept 2017) and are experiencing a fair bit of rain down in Busselton. We noticed a pool of water coming out from under the fridge this morning 20 mins or so after the rains came. On further investigation we can see that water is coming in from the 3 vents behind the fridge (1 small vent up top from an exhaust pipe, 1 top vent and one bottom vent). I think its dripping down from the top 2 vents as I notice water drips from the exhaust pipe. I've seen this problem before by reading some other posts in 2015 so would have thought Jayco would of resolved this type of problem by now.

Other small leaks (x 3) are along the top ridge where the awning meets the pop top roof.

Other than that its holding up quite well..

I have a service scheduled mid February so will post back with how they resolve this problem.

Attachments

• 20180116_081055.jpg
    20180116_081055.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 478

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would have a look, it may be better to see if you can resolve it yourself, sometimes better than 3kg of silastic spread everywhere and still leaking. Quite often the foam seal.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
had the same thing with our panda. Solution was to glue and screw a bit of plastic above to direct water away from the vent. In our case it was running off the slideout awning and down the side into the vent. I did put a picture on here somewhere. Will try find it for you.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
IMG_0387.jpg

sorry the pic is a bit big, but at least you can see it, and then give it a try. That's also assuming you have the same vent.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thanks Smidge, where did you get the curved plastic?
It was put on when the caravan went in for its first service. Any service place should have something similar, or you may even find it at bunnings.

In the interim, I got a coles plastic bag and tucked it in the top of the vent (took the vent out first ) and let the bag hang on the outside. It stopped the leak, but had to remember to remove it when travelling.

Reactions: Drover

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
We have the same issue with our 18.58-2, took it for its first service to the mob in Wangara and all they did was silastic up the top of the vent, which means the vent is no longer openable. It still has to go back for a few other things they either missed or did pretty poorly and will be having some strong words about the stupidity of glueing shut an intentionally openable vent. Not impressed.

Reactions: Smirke and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most large hardware stores will have a wide range of plastic or alloy extrusions which will make a great gutter, I thought they also have a new design for the vents which fixes the cause of the leaks ? ......................

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We have the same issue with our 18.58-2, took it for its first service to the mob in Wangara and all they did was silastic up the top of the vent, which means the vent is no longer openable. It still has to go back for a few other things they either missed or did pretty poorly and will be having some strong words about the stupidity of glueing shut an intentionally openable vent. Not impressed.
Using silastic, in my opinion, is very poor. Got mine put on by The Caravan Shed. They are in Bibra Lake so is a hike from you. The plastic attached is what I believe Jayco recommended. (Ours was done in Jan/Feb 2015)

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Most large hardware stores will have a wide range of plastic or alloy extrusions which will make a great gutter, I thought they also have a new design for the vents which fixes the cause of the leaks ? ......................
We were told when ordering that the vent that would be put on the van was the non leaking vent.... hmmmm.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wonder if the frame is sealed, vent might be okay just what it fits into !!?????.............I recently pulled a window out twice before finding it wasn't leaking it was a loose rivet a bit higher up..................duh !!!!

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I wonder if the frame is sealed, vent might be okay just what it fits into !!?????.............I recently pulled a window out twice before finding it wasn't leaking it was a loose rivet a bit higher up..................duh !!!!
luckily not the case, at least with ours, as I watched the water running down the side and into the vent. If the outside of the vent had rubber around it to seal it, then Id say it would be fine, but it just slots in.

And , on a good note, no leaks anywhere when we had 139mm of rain the other day.....yay!!!