Jandl's New Kokoda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks good, very good................your air filter though may cop a beating from the elements I always thought if I went for a set up like that I would use a Donaldson type rig to keep the water and dirt at bay...............................

Reactions: bigcol

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
Thanks, I did want to mount it near the front with a metal box open at the rear side for protection but ran out of time so the rubber flap will have to do at the moment.

Reactions: bigcol

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
G'day @jandl great looking van and mods. Just a thought in regards to your filter set-up.
When and if your going into El Questro, and also the Pentcost River crossing on the Gibb, the water heights can be about 300-400mm from memory and you may get some splashing on to filter, so maybe a plastic cover to go over it in these crossings?
Just a thought.

Reactions: jandl and bigcol

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
Thanks for your thoughts @greynt. I am not to worried about splashing on the filter as it is metal and fairly easily to remove if it becomes clogged with dirt after being wet and the blower will not be running when crossing water, I plan to remove it the first couple of days to check how dirty it gets. You have given me an idea though for a mod to it that I can do up here in respect to the water levels in the creek crossing. The 100mm pipe that goes through the floor is siliconed so water can not get into the van but the lip of that pipe inside that connects to the ducting for the blower is not very high. I will have to inspect the blower and pipe inside the van tomorrow when I wake up and go to the local hardware store. Will take a pic and post it tomorrow night if what I am planning is feasible.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While my dirt driving with a van has been just outback QLD, I did find once I had gone over my van with sealant in hand, added some vent flaps I had kept the dust at bay, most of my dust was entering via the rear wall pod which was poorly sealed. My idea for drawing air in was from the side of the van, but didn't need to follow thru with it.
When I drove a truck out there it had a system where the air was filtered, I found 2 x triple road trains driving by I would need to clean the filter and it was a huge thing......
Be great to see your pics on the road.

Reactions: jandl and bigcol