I've forgotten the handover info already.......

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Ok, so I knew it would happen, but I've forgotten most of what my helpful handover guy down at Prestige Jayco told me.
I figured I'd start this thread, and most likely keep adding to it as new things pop up.

First up is the battery switch.

My van is the 17.56-2 OB, with a 90w roof top solar panel, and a single 105AH battery. all std Jayco stuff.
Where I store the van, I don't yet have 240v available, so I use the 12v battery system for lights etc.
My question is three fold.

1 - While not connected to 240v, do I need to turn off the battery switch when Im not using the van for a few days?

2 - Will the solar system charge the battery with the switch in either the on or the off position?

3 - When connected to 240v do I need the battery switch off? What happens if I accidentally leave it on?

:confused-87:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I leave my battery switch on all the time whether plugged in and travelling to allow the battery to charge its like an isolator switch, in mine anyway

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Ok, so I knew it would happen, but I've forgotten most of what my helpful handover guy down at Prestige Jayco told me.
I figured I'd start this thread, and most likely keep adding to it as new things pop up.

First up is the battery switch.

My van is the 17.56-2 OB, with a 90w roof top solar panel, and a single 105AH battery. all std Jayco stuff.
Where I store the van, I don't yet have 240v available, so I use the 12v battery system for lights etc.
My question is three fold.

1 - While not connected to 240v, do I need to turn off the battery switch when Im not using the van for a few days?

2 - Will the solar system charge the battery with the switch in either the on or the off position?

3 - When connected to 240v do I need the battery switch off? What happens if I accidentally leave it on?

:confused-87:

Hi Brad,

I have e same van and this is what I do

1.if you don plan to go in and out of he van while not connected to 240 I turn the battery off so that the battery doesn't go flat if accidently you leave a light on.

2. As long as the sun is out the soar will charge the battery turned on or off.

3.to the best of my knowledge if you are connected to 240 it overrides the 12v system. 240 will keep charging the battery either switched on or off.

This is what I have been told.. It seems to work.. Hopes this helps

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Thanks guys. Not sure why Jayco doesn't provide a sheet showing what the switch positions need to be for each circumstance. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has got home, then scratched their head!..........hopefully.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Ditto as above @Soaring. You're a bit of a disappointment though, letting the side down like this and you being technical and all.:whistle: Now if it was getting the awning to roll out...umm...that's really where it's really hard to remember everything.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Ditto as above @Soaring. You're a bit of a disappointment though, letting the side down like this and you being technical and all.:whistle: Now if it was getting the awning to roll out...umm...that's really where it's really hard to remember everything.
I know! I'm shattered, that's why it has taken 5 days for me to ask :(. But you know what, I haven't rolled the awning out yet......:behindsofa:;)

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I do have something in mind to redeem myself though. I've been doing research on a heat exchanger ( heater) that circulates hot water from the hot water unit through a radiator with a 12v fan and pump..........
From what I'm seeing, 2a max current draw, so perfect for free camping.

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Good info on the battery and 240, have had mine plug in to mains but battery turned off - so now will turn battery on, thanks for the heads up and good question soaring and good answers

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
When talking to the sales bloke when I signed up for my van (delivery late Sept) I recall him saying the roof mounted solar panel charges all the time when it gets sunlight. As the van will be stored under a cover that panel won't work. I won't be connecting to 240 volt when its at home except to pre cool the fridge prior to a trip.

I intend to connect a lead direct to the battery and attach a 10 watt solar panel when the van is stored at home. I do this with my trailer sailer and it keeps 2 100 amp hour batteries fully charged when the system is turned off. A 10 watt solar panel only produces about 1/2 an amp in full sunlight so there is little risk it will over charge a 100 amp hour battery.

Please feel free to comment as I am dedicated to continuous improvement and looking for new ideas.

jed

May 16, 2013
Thanks guys. Not sure why Jayco doesn't provide a sheet showing what the switch positions need to be for each circumstance. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has got home, then scratched their head!..........hopefully.

lolol Soaring my wife and I had our hand over on Monday on our new 14.44.5 and the only thing i could remember was not to leave the fridge turned to battery while the car was parked for more than 30 minutes the rest is a blur ,they gave us a video not sure if you got one or not but all it shows u is about 2 minutes of how to put the bed out lol ,lucky we have this forum for help

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Here's one already to go. I assume you need a small pump to circulate the water. I'm really interested in this as heating is one thing that is missed when free camping.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...kw=Water+heater+matrix+12v&_sacat=0&_from=R40

image.jpg